Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

JRow On CI Hearing UNC Sanction Announced Tomorrow Will Be Harsh

JRow is well connected; said his sources are hearing the above. Doesn't know if anything vacated.

Darryl

Re: JRow On CI Hearing UNC Sanction Announced Tomorrow Will Be Harsh

Harsh is relevent. Severe is the word I want to see.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Looking forward to hearing. I will not get my hopes up as I recall someone was over there a year ago who said UNC was going to get killed.

We will see. I hope so. Lord knows they deserve it.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

Fiddlin' Five

What UNC-CHEAT did over several decades is way worse than what U of L did. By light years. But at the end of the day, I have serious doubts that the NCAA does anything remotely substantive to UNC-CHEAT. By their own rules UNC-CHEAT should get the death penalty, lose scholarships for several years, not be eligible for any post-season play for several years, and have to vacate at least 2-3 undeserved and illicitly gained basketball championships AND any games they won with ineligible players.
    I'll believe it when I see it. In other words, most of what I said above ain't happening.

Honestly I'd just be satisfied wih no future penalties, but players who received those classes declared ineligible. That would be a hammer blow and a half, across a LOT of sports. And it's fitting for what they did.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Honestly I'd just be satisfied wih no future penalties, but players who received those classes declared ineligible. That would be a hammer blow and a half, across a LOT of sports. And it's fitting for what they did.
    Yep and this should be easy (time consuming) but easy to figure out.

UNC already plans an appeal, which tells you they know the hammer is going to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Maybe not even that time consuming. Just get the roster for the classes each year, match them up to the athletes year by year. Probably a good afternoon's work.

CBBN proposed a compromise in another thread where those fake classes simply be excluded from each player's schedule, and their eligibility reevaluated, as if they did not take any class (which is what really occurred). That's a little like saying "if you rob the bank, we won't penalize you, but you can't keep the cash"--but CBBN knows that the net effect would likely be very similar.

These players were taking the classes TO be eligible. Yes, it was an extra benefit in terms of advancing toward a fake degree, or one earned with fake credits. But moreover, it converted a player from an ineligible player into an eligible one, most likely. Many of the players likely took the minimum number of credits in the fall to be a full-time student. Taking one fewer class would have rendered them ineligible. I suspect that's the rub if you're a UNC-CH fan, moreso than the GPA.

I imagine under that "recalculated" approach the outcome would be pretty close to just declaring them ineligible, but it sounds less draconian in some ways.

As you point out, many would lose eligibility b/c they wouldn't be taking a full course load, I imagine that alone would get about all of them.

Regardless it would whack the 2005 title for sure, where nearly the whole team were Afam majors, and may get 2009, but would also take away 100s of wins.

No doubt UNC will appeal even if the penalty is that they have to make a half hearted apology. But if games and titles get vacated expect the legal version of WWIII.

IMO, if the NCAA does not act appropriately here they are signing their own death warrant.

Unforgettable

As you point out, many would lose eligibility b/c they wouldn't be taking a full course load, I imagine that alone would get about all of them.
    Good point and one I have not thought about. However, if they declare these classes as not being classes, what does that mean for all the regular students who took them? I realize they do not fall under NCAA rules, wouldn't there be some pressure to take away the credit for everyone?
    "Calipariís Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Maybe not even that time consuming. Just get the roster for the classes each year, match them up to the athletes year by year. Probably a good afternoon's work.
    I could do it in 10 minutes, but you know they can't

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Good point and one I have not thought about. However, if they declare these classes as not being classes, what does that mean for all the regular students who took them? I realize they do not fall under NCAA rules, wouldn't there be some pressure to take away the credit for everyone?
    UNC can do whatever they want insofar as the credits and thereby the degrees conferred. It’s irellevant what the NCAA does or does not do. Which is to say, for their purposes, the NCAA can simply say they don’t accept the credits as valid. UNC can offer degrees in butt sniffing if they chose.

I agree. Any game played using players that would have been ineligible are forfeited, just like Memphis had to do with D. Rose. Nothing more would be fine

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

I'll make it easy...just look at the FINAL game of every year. If they have an ineligible player, forfeit that game. I'd be fine with that too.

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

+1 That would be great.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

I could do it in 10 minutes, but you know they can't
    Lol. I completely believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I agree. Any game played using players that would have been ineligible are forfeited, just like Memphis had to do with D. Rose. Nothing more would be fine
    Memphis et al had to repay NCAA tourney money, I' fine either way. Since other schools had to UNC should have to, but the gut punch would be losing the games. UNC would write that check tomorrow for this to go away, so it doesn't mean much.

Anyone who says they think they know what happens, including me, is guessing. The NCAA doesn't leak this stuff, and no one at UNC knows what is going to happen. They'll find out a couple hours before it becomes public tomorrow. Any rumors heard before tomorrow morning are meaningless.

Also, UNC's definition of harsh is different from that of anyone with a functioning brain.

Add me to the chorus of people who don't believe anything significant will happen to men's basketball.

Anything less than vacating wins, including the 2005 and 2009 titles and 2008 final four, and a multi year post season ban is a joke. This is the most pervasive cheating since SMU, and they have them dead to rights. Anything less than that is a joke.

I've said all along, I expect them to level a large fine. UNC would be overjoyed to write a check and be done with it, and the NCAA can claim they're leveling an "unprecedented and severe" punishment in line with the "unprecedented nature of the egregious actions."

Or some BS like that. I'd love to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Anyone who says they think they know what happens, including me, is guessing. The NCAA doesn't leak this stuff, and no one at UNC knows what is going to happen. They'll find out a couple hours before it becomes public tomorrow. Any rumors heard before tomorrow morning are meaningless.

Also, UNC's definition of harsh is different from that of anyone with a functioning brain.

Add me to the chorus of people who don't believe anything significant will happen to men's basketball.

Anything less than vacating wins, including the 2005 and 2009 titles and 2008 final four, and a multi year post season ban is a joke. This is the most pervasive cheating since SMU, and they have them dead to rights. Anything less than that is a joke.

I've said all along, I expect them to level a large fine. UNC would be overjoyed to write a check and be done with it, and the NCAA can claim they're leveling an "unprecedented and severe" punishment in line with the "unprecedented nature of the egregious actions."

Right in every regard, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

I completely agree

Slap on wrist don't kid yourself

They will lose one title. That's why the NCAA arranged for UNC to have a little officiating help on the way to delivering them one to make up for it last season.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." ó Jack Handey ,

I think you guys will be disappointed .....

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    JRow is well connected; said his sources are hearing the above. Doesn't know if anything vacated.

Darryl
    Last time that happened where supposed "insiders" expected the NCAA to slam UNC, the NCAA instead came out with their watered down 1st Amended NOA which completely removed men's basketball from the list of violations.

UNC fans had a good laugh with that one, especially since those at the school likely already knew ahead of time what the NCAA was coming out with (no doubt aided by the fact that UNC lobbied the NCAA relentlessly to get the charged amended.)

This may be Round 2. I guess we'll know tomorrow. Hopefully the NCAA wasn't stupid enough to release the info ahead of time to UNC again.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    They will lose one title. That's why the NCAA arranged for UNC to have a little officiating help on the way to delivering them one to make up for it last season.
    Certainly correct and don't you doubt that it doesn't happen...I think we've seen how corrupt this biz is

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then UNC will get a allotted slap on the wrist and the NCAA will conclude to move on nothing more here to see.

Way to much deception by UNC over years to get a slap. Also the NCAA didnít write 3 LOIs over a 3 1/2 investigation to just say do it again and you will be in real trouble. They will get some pain. Donít expect it to be as severe as it should be but they arenít going to have a good day I donít believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
    Way to much deception by UNC over years to get a slap. Also the NCAA didn’t write 3 LOIs over a 3 1/2 investigation to just say do it again and you will be in real trouble. They will get some pain. Don’t expect it to be as severe as it should be but they aren’t going to have a good day I don’t believe.
    I agree

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." ó Jack Handey ,

Fans here are raising Hell because the NCAA is making this announcement on the same night as "Late night with Roy". Love it!!!!

Peace

Richard (CW)