Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Fiddlin' Five

So, whatever became of the big.........

announcement from the NCAA regarding UNC-Cheat?
    MOLON LABE!

Re: So, whatever became of the big.........

Good question. The length of the delayed announcement makes me think it's bad for them but who knows?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Matt Jones talked about this on his show last week and here's basically what he said.

First of all, it's not an NCAA announcement. It will be done by the University. If there was a scheduled time(and there was), UNC has already received their penalties, therefore they can announce whenever they choose to do so. The caveat there is based on the Freedom of Information Act, there is a window of time in which they must do so until the information becomes available to the media.

UNC cancelled the announcement as it coincided with their largest fund raising event that was scheduled before they were given the penalties.

Jones and company assumed that the penalties were harsh because if they weren't why would they cancel before a fund raiser? If they were light, they'd rush to get the news out and move past it.

At this point, it should just be a matter of days.

Fiddlin' Five

Thanks, Stu.

^^^MAKES SENSE^^^

I do find it odd, though, that the NCAA chooses to not make it public themselves. Is there some kind of protocol established for this?

NCAA will release it on Friday (tomorrow). What was stated above is not accurate--this IS a NCAA announcement, and UNC-CH does NOT control it. I'm not sure where the confusion lies.

Here's what happened.

The NCAA was set to release its findings. It is not hidden. It is not (supposed to be) controlled by the university.

UNC-CH was having a major fundraising gala type weekend event that was awful timing for an announcement to be made. Somebody pulled a favor with the NCAA, and asked for the NCAA to postpone the announcement. They agreed.

I think there is merit to the idea that indicates it could be fairly harsh. Or if you want to be cynical, it could be further indication that the NCAA is controlled by the powers-to-be in Chapel Hill. You decide.

It will be public at noon tomorrow.

Just repeating what I heard, and I definitely could've misinterpreted part of it. I'm sure UNC does know what the penalties are and that the fund raiser did impact it's announcement date.

At the end of the day, though, the announcments are coming out tomorrow.

Fiddlin' Five

I'll believe the NCAA is hammering UNC-CHEAT when I see it with my own two eyes.
    Until then it's all just cheap talk.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Just repeating what I heard, and I definitely could've misinterpreted part of it. I'm sure UNC does know what the penalties are and that the fund raiser did impact it's announcement date.

At the end of the day, though, the announcments are coming out tomorrow.
    Probably misunderstood it, because it was definitely wrong.

Blog Entries

And--surprise!--Jay Bilas has a problem with it being announced tomorrow:

Jay Bilas‏Verified account
    @JayBilas

After all these years, released same day as Late Night with Roy where an NCAA title banner is raised. You just can’t make this $&@% up...

11:34 AM - 12 Oct 2017

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/918500098073604096

Of course, he conveniently overlooks (a) UNC asked for the announcement delay, and (b) the main reason Roy and UNC will raise that banner tomorrow is their stall tactics delaying their punishment.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

Hopefully it will be raised and lowered (at least, announced) on the same day. That would be funny.

Raise one, lower two. If I was attending I'd be LMAO.

[QUOTE=KSRBEvans;445895]And--surprise!--Jay Bilas has a problem with it being announced tomorrow:

Jay Bilas‏Verified account
    @JayBilas

After all these years, released same day as Late Night with Roy where an NCAA title banner is raised. You just can’t make this $&@% up...

11:34 AM - 12 Oct 2017

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/918500098073604096

Of course, he conveniently overlooks (a) UNC asked for the announcement delay, and (b) the main reason Roy and UNC will raise that banner tomorrow is their stall tactics delaying their punishment.[/QUOTE]

This is the $64,000.00 answer.

Hopefully, it will be a big media talking point once the penalties have FINALLY been announced tomorrow.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Freshman

Unfortunately, UNC's desire to delay the announcement may have nothing to do with their men's basketball program. Other UNC sports programs may be receiving substantial punishment while men's basketball isn't touched. In those circumstances, UNC may have also wanted the announcement delayed. So it's entirely possible that the delay has nothing whatsoever to do with UNC men's basketball. In reality, I expect the men's basketball team to receive no punishment while women's basketball and football get drilled.

Well that sounds reasonable but Roy was called to the meeting in nashville along with the womanís B.B. coach and the FB coach. There isnít any way the menís B.B. team isnít part of this as well.

Basketball has to be part. But they don't have to be major penalties. I hope justice is done.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Matt Jones talked about this on his show last week and here's basically what he said.

First of all, it's not an NCAA announcement. It will be done by the University. If there was a scheduled time(and there was), UNC has already received their penalties, therefore they can announce whenever they choose to do so. The caveat there is based on the Freedom of Information Act, there is a window of time in which they must do so until the information becomes available to the media.

UNC cancelled the announcement as it coincided with their largest fund raising event that was scheduled before they were given the penalties.

Jones and company assumed that the penalties were harsh because if they weren't why would they cancel before a fund raiser? If they were light, they'd rush to get the news out and move past it.

At this point, it should just be a matter of days.
    Matt has a lot of good sources about various things but one thing that has been clear for the past few years is he really has no idea about the UNC scandal. Just today he was trying to claim that the entire AFAM department was a sham. That's simply not true. The classes that the Wainstein report (and thus the NCAA) has focused on were a series of independent so-called 'paper classes' that were administered by the Department Chair's secretary Deborah Crowder. Yes it was within AFAM department but it was by no means pervasive throughout the department.

Of course the other thing that's missed (not just by Jones but by virtually everyone in the press) is that these classes are just a small part of the potential scandal and the potential infractions that were made. Why the NCAA agreed to not only allow UNC to continue to 'self-investigate' after they had made numerous half-hearted and incomplete attempts, but to only use the Wainstein report (which itself was limited by UNC to only look at AFAM Studies and no other departments or issues) as the basis for their Notice of Allegations is beyond me.

I put together a handy graphic illustrating just how far ranging the UNC scandal potentially is. Much of it never seriously investigated by anyone, much less the NCAA.

And keep in mind most of these things directly involve men's basketball, so don't fall for the claim that men's basketball was not involved or somehow deserves to be shielded.
    Receive updates on my UK website on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bigbluehistory