Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: On this date, in 1963

On this date, in 1963

A "vicious and tragic" crime was "perpetrated against humanity," as Dr. Martin Luther King described it.

The 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing.

I don't work downtown anymore, and no appointments today in that direction, but if I get a chance, I'll drive over just to pass by.

Re: On this date, in 1963

Truly tragic indeed...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Pure evil.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

As tragic as that was, and it was surely evil, losing Dr. King was worse. I think given time and years he may have been the man to close the racial divide in a constructive way that put it behind us as a nation. So many of his words are now lost and it seems to never heal.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    As tragic as that was, and it was surely evil, losing Dr. King was worse. I think given time and years he may have been the man to close the racial divide in a constructive way that put it behind us as a nation. So many of his words are now lost and it seems to never heal.
    Wholeheartedly agree. One of the greatest Americans to have ever lived. Not a perfect man, as no one is, but having been endowed by God with the perfect message.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree. One of the greatest Americans to have ever lived. Not a perfect man, as no one is, but having been endowed by God with the perfect message.
    I overlook Dr. King's shortcomings the same way people need to overlook them with Jefferson and Washington and Lincoln. If we wait on perfect men to lead us we're never going to get anywhere.

People have forgotten his message entirely IMO. If he were here maybe he could steer us back on course. I'd like to think he wouldn't go off the track, at least I indulge in that belief.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

I worked for several years with a woman who was friends with the girls who were killed and who was in the church that day. It was a horrible crime. The bombing was designed to create fear. It certainly did that. In the process it moved the cause of equality into the national discussion.
    Real Fan since 1958