Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Cassini's 20 Year Mission Comes To An End

http://www.nature.com/news/the-big-q...answer-1.22619

In 1997 Cassini was launched on its decades long mission. Seven years later it arrived at the Saturn system where it began unraveling the mysteries that have long perplexed scientists and astronomers.

Tomorrow morning at 4:55 am pacific time running low on fuel it will enter Saturn's atmosphere burning up in the process.

Think about what the technology was nearly 30 years ago when the space craft was developed. Basically your cell phone is more technically advanced than the spacecraft that has traveled over a billion miles and sent back enough data to keep scientist busy for years deciphering.

Amazing stuff.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Cassini's 20 Year Mission Comes To An End

It is amazing. Voyager 1 was launched in 1977, on the cusp of the computer revolution, and that puppy is still out there sending back data and dutifully following directions. We got to the moon with a computer that today would be put to shame by those devices. Some very creative people at NASA.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: Cassini's 20 Year Mission Comes To An End

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain