One day at a time, please?

My son wasted his day at home today because the local high schools announced Sunday that schools would be closed Monday AND Tuesday in light of the possibility of inclement weather.

Isn't the better course of conduct to announce it one day at a time? Look at the facts then?

I am fine with closing school Monday, even though we got only a little wind and a little rain, and nobody I know lost power. We've had much worse summer thunderstorms. But I understand logistics and the need to exercise due caution.

But Monday, when we saw what was occurring, it seems that assessing Tuesday at that point led anyone to the absolute conclusion that there would be no problems on Tuesday. None, nada, zilch.

Why not wait til Monday--in an area like Birmingham, Alabama, not even in a Tropical Storm warning zone--until deciding what to do on Tuesday?

Oh well. The Governor declared a state of emergency, so they won't have to make up the days. Just seemed silly. Everybody I know worked both days, keeping an eye on the weather just in case something turned funny, but nothing came close.