Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equifax breach advice sought

Re: Equifax breach advice sought

Just FYI...I did a google search for how can i cancel my membership transunion credit monitoring.

I find a link. I click it.

There is a flash -- less than 1 second--where there is a clickable link to cancel your membership. I tried to click it, and it went away before I did. So I redid it from the google search page. This time, I knew where the link would be, or close...so I had the cursor ready, and my quick reactions clicked it before it disappeared.

https://membership.tui.transunion.co...s:onlineCancel

I go to a page that tells me all the things I will be giving up. There are "quick questions" to help them improve I try to answer. It won't let me answer. I click the arrow, nothing happens. I try to click in the blank and type in it, nothing happens. Oh well. I am concerned because that Google link is not necessarily tied to "my" account.

So I click the button at the bottom -- continue & Cancel.

I go to a page to log in. Type Username and password. Claims it is Incorrect. I try again, this time, it takes me to a pop-up window that says, "Retrieving Account, Click Continue to Enter Site." Gives me a warning that "Before you continue, don't miss this savings opportunity, available to you as a TransUnion Credit Monitoring Member.

I click the button that says "Continue."

It takes me a a Dashboard page where I can order the TransUnion Credit Monitoring subscription NOW for only $19.95/month!

The bold is their bold.

Has a big yellow "ORDER NOW!" button.

No indication I have canceled anything. Have I? I have no idea. I have not received an email. Have not received any indication that I have. Maybe I have.

I remain on hold, now for 30 minutes, while I have struggled through this. Thank goodness for speakerphones.

Apparently I am not the only one that struggles with this. Here's an article on the difficulty in canceling TransUnion.

https://blog.pennyapp.io/how-to-canc...n-4500dfd4a230

On hold now for 50 minutes....anybody want to make odds on what happens next?

I am assuming I will be disconnected when somebody picks up, or maybe before that happens.

After 66 minutes, I spoke to "Mary," and received her Employee I.D. number, who assured me that I am NOT signed up for the Credit Monitoring Service, and I will NOT be charged anything.

We'll see. I recorded that portion of the call, all of 2 minutes. Then I asked her to confirm that my account was frozen. She couldn't do that unless I had done it online. Since their online ability to do that was screwed up the other day, I had to do it via telephone call. So if you froze it via telephone call, you can only confirm it via online. How messed up is that?

And the website URL she gave me? It goes to this page.

1 transunion freeze confirmation 9.14.2017.JPG

Fab Five

Ha, ha, ha,
    Real Fan since 1958

It seems that Equifax didn't apply a security patch to their software (link below). The ineptness of this company continues to be more apparent.

jacksonclarion.ms.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=1b7cc8c4a
    Last edited by KSRdallen; 09-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.

I probably will get this wrong, but I heard on the radio that they had a breach in Argentina, where their password was "admin."

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post
    It seems that Equifax didn't apply a security patch to their software (link below). The ineptness of this company continues to be more apparent.

jacksonclarion.ms.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=1b7cc8c4a
    Here's a part of the story I miissed. From today's WSJ:
    Equifax said as part of the breach an*nounce*ment that credit-card num*bers for around 209,000 U.S. con-sumers were stolen, too. Those cards likely be*long to peo*ple who pre*vi*ously bought credit-mon*i*tor*ing ser*vices from Equifax in hope of se*cur*ing an ad*di*tional layer of pro*tec*tion from fraud, ac*cord*ing to peo*ple fa*mil*iar with the mat*ter.

Meanwhile Congressman Gary Palmer has no reaction or comment!
    Real Fan since 1958

WHOA--EQUIFAX knew of the major breach in its system FIVE MONTHS before they told anybody.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...date-disclosed

I can hear the worlds "class action" out there on the wind. Rightfully so btw.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    WHOA--EQUIFAX knew of the major breach in its system FIVE MONTHS before they told anybody.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...date-disclosed
    Yes! Cisco notified users of the software in March of a problem. I believe Equifax noticed hacking as far back as May.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I can hear the worlds "class action" out there on the wind. Rightfully so btw.
    There were three suits filed in Alabama alone within the first week. I am contacting Morgan and Morgan, Morris Bart and Alexander Shunnarah to see who has the best deal. So far I have a pretty good deal from the Alabama Hammer!
    Real Fan since 1958

Unfreaking believable. You can't make this up. For more than a week, Equifax directed all consumers to a Spoof site, rather than their own site.

I am unsure that I've ever heard of such ineptness.

http://www.businessinsider.com/repor...of-site-2017-9

Unfreaking believable. You can't make this up. For more than a week, Equifax directed all consumers to a Spoof site, rather than their own site.

Looks like the guy set it up to prove the completely, 100% obvious and true point that just setting up that site without it being equifax.com is a huge breach of security b/c it allows spoofers to come up with all kinds of variations and then people go to their sites.

It's an outrage they'd do it that way in and of itself, to then mess it up internally and actually prove the point by sending people to the spoof site is beyond imagination.

This is one of those things that you think can't get worse and then it gets worse.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

The new Equifax CEO announced that they will be rolling out a service that will allow you to lock and unlock your credit report for free for life. WHile I am waiting to see the fine print, honestly this should have been the defacto standard since the internet started. It would have solved a HUGE number of issues if ALL of the services offered this feature.

So here is our commitment: By Jan. 31, Equifax will offer a new service allowing all consumers the option of controlling access to their personal credit data. The service we are developing will let consumers easily lock and unlock access to their Equifax credit files. You will be able to do this at will. It will be reliable, safe and simple. Most significantly, the service will be offered free, for life.

Big step in the right direction. HOpefully gets the others to follow suit.

Fab Five

Please don't forget that a while back Equifax signed a partnership deal with LifeLock. Fortunately life lock has taken the moral high ground in not using this as a Marketing opportunity.
    Real Fan since 1958

Unless you are a child under the age of 16, odds are you are going to be on that list.

I'm not a lifelock fan. It was offered to us for free when the DOJ got hacked a few years back. Fortunately we have ID Shield so we declined. Lifelock monitors but does not do anything to return you to prehack status. It points you where to go but that's it. ID Shield takes you there and does it for you which is why we have it. I've been monitoring mine and nothing so far. I've been particularly nervous of late because I got turned over to collections by a card that changed to paperless but had the wrong e-mail address. When I didn't pay for 3 months they turned it over to a lawyer who called and demanded payment plus legal fees. I had no idea what they were talking about. A little work on my part figured it out...even though the credit card company was sending me "junk mail", (promotional stuff), to my house, the bills were going to an invalid e-mail. I got it resolved but was concerned about it showing up on my credit reports so I've been monitoring very closely. Then the equifax crap.... Anyway, I check at least weekly...nothing. And playing the numbers game, odds are it won't but if it does I'll deal with it.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Another 2.5 million affected, now up to 145 million. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...fected-by-hack