Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Toilets

Toilets

So I have an upstairs toilet that, when you flush it, a few seconds later, will make a loud "humming" noise. I found that if I turn on the bathroom faucet it goes away.

a) What is this?

b) Can I fix it?

c) Do I just need to "call the man?"

Bombino

Re: Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    So I have an upstairs toilet that, when you flush it, a few seconds later, will make a loud "humming" noise. I found that if I turn on the bathroom faucet it goes away.

a) What is this?

b) Can I fix it?

c) Do I just need to "call the man?"
    Likely pipes vibrating in the wall, this can sometimes be caused by not having the supply to the tank all the way open. Fully close the water supply (that knob below the toilet), then fully open it and see if that helps. If not, it is more than likely not going to be an easy fix.

Rupp's Runt

I replaced my fill valve the other day. I bought a cheaper one....and that thing is LOUD filling up.

Increase you fiber content!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Definitely sounds like a pressure problem. I'd start by replacing the fill valve inside the tank, a pretty easy job. If that doesn't fix it call the man before something serious happens.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Increase you fiber content!
    Is the you, Joe The Plumber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I'd spend the $10 for a fill valve and float, after making sure the supply valve is all the way on. The hum is usually caused by a high pressure low flow condition.

Do people really call plumbers?

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I'd spend the $10 for a fill valve and float, after making sure the supply valve is all the way on. The hum is usually caused by a high pressure low flow condition.

Do people really call plumbersm
    Yep, they do....

The $10 fill valve is really loud. D, Invest in the $20 and let me know if it is quiet. Thanks in advance lol

Good news is a "turbulence" problem wont damage anything. Careful that the obstruction (likely a tiny calcium deposit) may not even be close to the sound, since it will often resonate the length of a pipe. So it could also be either in the main or fixture supply lines.

That said, if the humming starts at the end of the refilling cycle as it slows, Id wager its the refill mechanism in the tank. And that sound should be easy to locate with the cover off.

Old rockers use to record such sounds and lay them on subtle support tracks mixed way down on many hit songs. Fleetwood Mac used a huge amount of tracks containing noises and stuff on the Rumors album for one.
    So I wouldnt overlook the artistic value of your very own personal toilet sounds
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-07-2017 at 10:49 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

As everyone has said, it's likely the mechanism in the tank. You'd be amazed how much noise it can create in the copper lines at times. Air will do it too but that's probably not the issue here.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Yep, air in a line will cause what they call "hammering" and is pretty unmistakable. While a humming is water rerouting itself around an object in the line.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Yep, they do....

The $10 fill valve is really loud. D, Invest in the $20 and let me know if it is quiet. Thanks in advance lol
    $20? They must have jumped in price a lot. The last valve I bought, probably about 10 years ago was $10. The kits with a new flapper and stuff was about $15 at that time, but I didn't need the other parts.

Rupp's Runt

Just installed one this week. Lowes had one for $10 and one for $20. I was cheap and spent $10. And for some reason it is loud filling up.

I replace them every year at my ball park and normally get the contractor 3 pack and they do fine. Not sure why my $10 one is so loud.

Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Likely pipes vibrating in the wall, this can sometimes be caused by not having the supply to the tank all the way open. Fully close the water supply (that knob below the toilet), then fully open it and see if that helps. If not, it is more than likely not going to be an easy fix.
    I did this. The supply appeared all the way open, but I closed it, emptied the tank, then reopened fully. It sorta sounded like air spurting and water spitting in, but filled up and hasn't made the sound since. Surely that didn't "fix" it?

Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post

Do people really call plumbers?
    Once, in 20 years, if you don't count an installation project. But it was a big one where my water heater burst and flooded the garage.

My house is now 30 years old and starting to have things go wrong in it that annoy my wife, besides me. I probably will call the man about a couple of those, like a front water faucet that has broken, and leaks unless I put a hose on it with a shut off valve at the nozzle hand at the faucet, kitchen sink needs replacing, etc.

Fab Five

Once, in 20 years, if you don't count an installation project. But it was a big one where my water heater burst and flooded the garage.

My house is now 30 years old and starting to have things go wrong in it that annoy my wife, besides me. I probably will call the man about a couple of those, like a front water faucet that has broken, and leaks unless I put a hose on it with a shut off valve at the nozzle hand at the faucet, kitchen sink needs replacing, etc.
    Sounds like it was air in the pipe.
    Real Fan since 1958

Toilets

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Sounds like it was air in the pipe.
    Me, or the toilet? Probably both.

Bombino

Toilets

I did this. The supply appeared all the way open, but I closed it, emptied the tank, then reopened fully. It sorta sounded like air spurting and water spitting in, but filled up and hasn't made the sound since. Surely that didn't "fix" it?
    Could have been built up air in the pipe stuck before the valve. That certainly could cause the vibration.

If air somehow got behind it yes it could. A little air in the line will make an awful racket in the right place.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Me, or the toilet? Probably both.
    Sooner or later I figured I would get in trouble discussing your plumbing.
    Real Fan since 1958