Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires....

Tires....

Received a low tire pressure message a couple of weeks ago. Checked all four tires -- three were perfect at 36psi, which is the recommended inside door jamb label pressure. The driver's side front tire was 22 psi.

That didn't sound good. I aired it up, and drove around a few days. My daughter told me she received a low air pressure message, and so I checked hers (that was the day I put air in 20 tires) and engaged in a process wishing I had a commercial-level air tank. I think I know what I want for Christmas.

Anyway, my pressure had dropped in a week from 36psi to 30psi in that front tire again. So there's a leak somewhere.

Should I just take it to a tire place? I always think they are trying to sell me a new tire. I am not ready to buy four new tires, and I really don't want to buy one.

Should I deflate the tire, put "slime" or something in it, reinflate it, and see if that seals the apparent leak?

What's the most reasonable thing to do? I don't think reinflating 6psi each week is the most reasonable approach without addressing the issue.

Fab Five

Re: Tires....

Stay away from slime. My uber driver and I had this discussion as we sat in the emergency lane of I-65. Prius uses the factory version of slime. This was his third flat tire in 6 weeks and twice with the same slime repaired tire. I believe the slime is hit or miss and does not fix all leaks.

Before having anyone look at the tire, go to tirerack.com to look at tires and installed prices. At least have that info in hand before discussing anything with anybody.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

If my tires are good as far as tread. I get them patched. I also know a good tire place that patches the tire from the inside and not the traditional plug. I agree, avoid the slim stuff if you can. It works and I've used it, but I try to avoid it.

As other stated, don't use the "fix a flat" unless emergency roadside. Have the tire pulled, inflated and put in a water tub to see where its leaking, then get it plugged. Dont need a patch, just a plug as its a slow leak. can't plug or patch if in the sidewall, so if there you need a new tire.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

You should be able to get someone take it off and check it for free if its a shop you give business to. Sounds like it might be leaking around the valve stem.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

One other possibility is a defective wheel.
    I have replaced three of them on the old Ranger.
    The old dunk test in water is a sure way to find out...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Fab Five

i have always found tire engineers to be fair if you or looking for someone close by. otherwise you may wish to check with roger's or charlie saab downtown i trust both.
    Real Fan since 1958

When I was in Alabama, I always used Crazy Cooter's Garage

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    When I was in Alabama, I always used Crazy Cooter's Garage

Cooter is Darrell's tow truck driver out of Sylacauga.
    Real Fan since 1958

Likely you have something in the tire, like a nail. When the nail finally exits the tire you will have a faster leak. Have it fixed.

A patch on the inside of the tire will work much better than a plug if it has a hole in it, as KW pointed out. Could just be a bad valve. After putting air in it pour water on the valve and look for bubbles.

Had a tire guy refuse to work on a tire with Fix a Flat in it. He said they have been known to explode when they break them down from the rim.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Bombino

If it is not the tire itself, most likely source of the leak is the valve stem (the place where you put the air in). Spray it with some soapy water and see if you get bubble formation. If you do, take it to the tire shop and have them replace the valve, it shouldn't be too bad.

Note: You can spray the tire itself with soapy water and it will show bubbles anywhere there is a leak.

Going to head out in a minute and go to....some tire shop. Somewhere.

So I go to Tire Engineers. Good people there. Called before I arrived, they said they'd get me right in. I drop it off, and go walk to Wendy's for a kid's chicken wrap meal with apple bites (no, that has nothing to do with the story).

They call me and ask me if I know where my tire wheel lock key is. I tell them I don't know what a tire wheel lock key is, so evidently, I do not. They tell me that I have a locking lug nut on each of my tires. I explain that I have had my tires rotated several times but not yet replaced, and when I tell them where, they tell me that the quasi-dealership place I use (Franklin Automotive) has a master key for my car.

They explain they can sell me four new tires for $1100, and replace the locking lug nut with one that isn't locking, but I decline--for now.

I go to Franklin. They tell me that (it is 2:15 my time by now, their mechanics leave at 4) they weren't real fired up about it, but that they wouldn't fix the tire even if it had a leak because it is 4/32nds tread. I ask if I can buy a key, and they say it has to be ordered, and it comes in a set that fits four new lug nuts, so it wouldn't do me any good--although they could replace the ones on the four tires with the new ones when they came in.

Sigh.

They invite me to return Monday and rent a car tomorrow (which I actually was 50-50 on doing anyway) for my little trip.

I get home, and my wife says, "why don't you look for it?" I chuckle. She says I youtubed where it might be found.

I go there, and open the panel next to the gas cap (on the inside), and there's a pouch that ways "wheel lock key."

Crap. Why does she always have to be right?

By the way--I probably will just go ahead and buy 4 tires anyway. But now I'm free to buy them from tirerack.com, or Costco, or whatever.

Tires....

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Cooter is Darrell's tow truck driver out of Sylacauga.
    You remembered! I missed this earlier.

Man, that was the ride of my life.

Wow that's some story lol. My wife's car actually had the same light come on about two weeks ago. Went thru the same thing with the slow leakage until finally she went by Michel Tire (where we usually go for tires and minor things) and they found a screw in it, plugged it, and sent her on her way. No charge.

I bought this SUV three years ago and the tires were on it then. I'm only putting maybe 10k miles on it a year, maybe less, but the first owner also did the same. Wouldn't surprise me if these tires were six or seven years old. They need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Crap. Why does she always have to be right?
    Because she is a woman

I bought this SUV three years ago and the tires were on it then. I'm only putting maybe 10k miles on it a year, maybe less, but the first owner also did the same. Wouldn't surprise me if these tires were six or seven years old. They need to be replaced.
    $1100 seems a bit pricey for tires on an SUV driven 10K mikes a year.

Seems a LOT pricey to me.

I will probably do the Costco deal on the same or very similar tires and spend $300-350 less.

Personally, I think $50 a tire is reasonable. More is too high. They don't agree with me.

What irritates me is the $1100 is for a tire quoted at $200, or a tick above. Then they add balancing, mounting, tire disposal, and all these fees. Then tax, and boom. $1100+. Ridiculous.

I may look for a more discounted tire, or just take Costco. They don't add nearly as many fees. I think they have $15 a tire, and that includes everything, lifetime balancing and rotation, road hazard warranty, everything.

Rumor has it tomorrow there will be a coupon code that will waive that $60. Add in a Michelin $70 instant rebate if you buy a set and it makes it tolerable.

Don't know about Costco, but if you can wait another month there will be Columbus/Leif Erickson Day sales. They have sales every "holiday".

In my area typically there is a $10 or $12 mounting and balancing fee, $1-$2 tire disposal fee.

Fab Five

Seems a LOT pricey to me.

I will probably do the Costco deal on the same or very similar tires and spend $300-350 less.

Personally, I think $50 a tire is reasonable. More is too high. They don't agree with me.

What irritates me is the $1100 is for a tire quoted at $200, or a tick above. Then they add balancing, mounting, tire disposal, and all these fees. Then tax, and boom. $1100+. Ridiculous.

I may look for a more discounted tire, or just take Costco. They don't add nearly as many fees. I think they have $15 a tire, and that includes everything, lifetime balancing and rotation, road hazard warranty, everything.

Rumor has it tomorrow there will be a coupon code that will waive that $60. Add in a Michelin $70 instant rebate if you buy a set and it makes it tolerable.
    How much cheaper was Costco than Tire Rack?
    Real Fan since 1958

My last set for my truck was $1200.00. Michelins. Quiet, ride well, great in weather. Will never compromise. Lifetime alignment and rotation, free.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    How much cheaper was Costco than Tire Rack?
    They're close. Tire Rack didn't charge sales tax, but was $120 more expensive; however, $70 of that was in a rebate, so it really was only $50 more expensive. I'm going to be looking today/tomorrow to see if the rumor of free installation at Costco is accurate; if so, then it will be $60 more than that. They're two different models of Michelins, best I can tell close to the same--same warranty, speed rating, etc. So it's not apples to apples, but fruit to fruit, I guess.

FWIW, the free tire installation code is still not working this morning. Maybe tomorrow. They had it in May; they had it last September as well. In fact, the same deal. Save $130 on a set of Michelin tires, $70 instant rebate and $60 free installation.

EDIT--Update from the Slickdeals website--nobody has the free installation working today. Allegedly someone called someone specifically and they were told that in fact, there would be a "penny" installation deal, but it did not start until the weekend. So 9/15 seems to be the first time when it might be available. Of course, it could be another unfounded rumor.

I can wait.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-11-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    In my area typically there is a $10 or $12 mounting and balancing fee, $1-$2 tire disposal fee.
    That's similar to Costco, which also includes free road hazard warranty with it, as well as free lifetime rotation.

Tire Engineers was a little more pricey. I just went on their website, and I think this is the tire quote I received.

1 tire engineers quote.jpg

I will probably wait til the weekend, see if I can save the $60, and go with that. It's a good price.

Another alternative is that I can get a set of Cooper tires for $130 each, plus whatever they'll charge per tire for installation/etc. I've always liked Cooper tires on my other vehicles just fine. But if I'm only saving a little, I won't go that route.

Hmm. Reading a lot about the Hankook tires. They have an all-season, 70k mile warranty tire, same speed rating, etc., reviews very good every place I've seen. $129 per tire, with a $50 rebate for a set of four.

If I can spend $600 for those all-in, I might do that instead. Wish Costco had them.