Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Funniest Town Name in all 50 states

Funniest Town Name in all 50 states

I admit, I was disappointed in the Kentucky entry. I just knew my favorite would be the "winner," and they did not include Possum Trot. Robbery.

Do you have any quibbles with this list?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50225...-all-50-states

Re: Funniest Town Name in all 50 states

they left out some good kentucky names.

Monkey's Eyebrow has to be a contender. Not sure if Big Bone Lick State Park qualifies, but it's so good maybe it gets on the list. If not Beaverlick is a real town and that's surely its equal.

Oddville is good too. Absolutely Possum Trot has to be there. Don't forget Flippin.

My favorites, b/c I've been to them are Paint Lick and Nonesuch.

Then there is one that is big enough people don't even think about it much, Morehead.

Can't speak to other states, but we have some good ones.

My vote goes to Monkey's Eyebrow though. Just so out in left field.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Some of my local area favorites that aren't really "funny", but I like:

Sulphur, which is named for exactly what it is and was once a popular healing destination. Bagdad, Cropper, Pleasureville (which should maybe make that list), Waddy and Franklinton only b/c I have no idea why they spelled it that way.

Pleasureville is so big it has a north and south btw.

And that doesn't even get to the odd ways we say some names, like Versailles and Athens and Cairo among others.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 09-04-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    they left out some good kentucky names.

Monkey's Eyebrow has to be a contender. Not sure if Big Bone Lick State Park qualifies, but it's so good maybe it gets on the list. If not Beaverlick is a real town and that's surely its equal.

Oddville is good too. Absolutely Possum Trot has to be there. Don't forget Flippin.

My favorites, b/c I've been to them are Paint Lick and Nonesuch.

Then there is one that is big enough people don't even think about it much, Morehead.

Can't speak to other states, but we have some good ones.

My vote goes to Monkey's Eyebrow though. Just so out in left field.
    I agree, Monkey's Eyebrow over Possum Trot. Both in the running over Bugtussle.

Big Bone Lick wins for State Park names.

Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Fab Five

You have to give Gravel Switch an honorable mention. My favorite in alaBama is Wedowee. It's official pronunciation is Wed ow ee, but everyone calls it We do we.
    Real Fan since 1958

It lists Climax Ga but there's also a Climax Kentucky. There's a Moon in the county where I grew up that people from all over would get cards postmarked at the post office that used to be there, especially in 1969.

My favorite Kentucky community name though is probably Helechewa, pronounced Huh-leach-a-wah. Local legend has it that it was originally called Hell Each Way before the churchgoers fixed it lol.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 09-04-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

All though it's not a town ( I don't think) but there is a state park in Ky called Big Bone Lick. Plus don't forget Gravel Switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You have to give Gravel Switch an honorable mention. My favorite in alaBama is Wedowee. It's official pronunciation is Wed ow ee, but everyone calls it We do we.
    Never knew where Wedowee was, and never bothered to look it up. Discovered it recently by accident in route to LaGrange, Ga. Sort of the middle of nowhere. Hear it has a nice lake, one of the Alabama Power ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    It lists Climax Ga but there's also a Climax Kentucky. There's a Moon in the county where I grew up that people from all over would get cards postmarked at the post office that used to be there, especially in 1969.

My favorite Kentucky community name though is probably Helechewa, pronounced Huh-leach-a-wah. Local legend has it that it was originally called Hell Each Way before the churchgoers fixed it lol.
    Lol on the Hell Each Way pronounciation.

Places in Kentucky my employer has sent me. Hmmmm....lol
    Beaverlick, KY...no explanation necessary
    Eighty Eight, KY
    Black Bottom KY and Black Gnat KY
    That summer vaca destination of Wax, KY.
    I could go on and on lol