Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Irma

Irma

11am key messages. This is still a powerful, dangerous hurricane.

Re: Irma

What is annoying is I have 9 channels with 24 hr hurricane coverage and nothing else. To watch football I have to got to my streaming box
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Irma

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If it makes you feel better Mick there are reports that's what folks are doing at La Conche. Bourbon St Bar stayed open a long while too.
    What are you hearing out of the Keys this morning???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Not exactly what you wish to be hearing......

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eys/651064001/

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What is annoying is I have 9 channels with 24 hr hurricane coverage and nothing else. To watch football I have to got to my streaming box
    Three isolated cells off the coast south of Fort Pierce, Doc. Not Good. Looks like dozens of tornados on the east coast today!
    Real Fan since 1958

I'm trying to find out what I can. Power went down across the island about 11pm or so last night, the last webcam was at Irish Kevin's, which oddly stayed on for hours after the main power went down. It was showing Duval covered in water, but it was still inches and not feet.

Found this by checking twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeyWest&src=tyah

Several videos, one shows flooding but honestly where I think he's at it's not as bad as I had feared. But that was 5-6 hours ago now.

If the surge stays at 5-7 feet most of the island will get waterlogged but not wiped out. They've dealt with that many times over the years, and Paradise survives.

But if they get 8-10 or more in surge that's going to be a real hit and a half. the middle of old town is the high point, that's the "X flood zone", and that's about 10 feet or more above sea level. That hasn't flooded in more than a century I don't think, but the lower areas are going to be hit hard and even on the hill and the high areas the sheer rainfall of 20 inches will of course lead to a lot of basic flooding and water damage.

The Naval Air Station has people there, their last video was about 5-6 hours as well, and a guy on one of the boats was doing a facebook live about that same time this morning.

So far it was bad but not the complete destruction I've feared. But Key West is in the very worst spot to be, just on the eyewall. The eye will cross about Cudjoe key, where a lot of the locals who work there are now living b/c Key West is so expensive. Hopefully they got out, those islands are even lower than Key West, which is part of why that city has remained for so long.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    God, I'm going to be sick. I just figured out where that is. I was just there staying not 50' from that intersection in July. It's the corner of Francis and Eaton, edge of old town before the NAS. It means Caroline, Front and Green are all under water.

it still looks like about a foot or less there, and that intersection on the right starts the rise up the hill, and honestly that's good news given the predictions, but I'm still sick.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

here's that intersection in normal circumstances if anyone is interested. Think this link will work.

We rented a place on Francis, about 3-4 doors down from that intersection the last trip.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.5611744,-81.7967183,3a,75y,22.65h,94.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMhTJYO7zL2j9pzkWvmzyQg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

If I read it Twitter correctly, that vid was posted around 7:00am this morning. Landfall was at 9:10am.
    here's that intersection in normal circumstances if anyone is interested. Think this link will work.

We rented a place on Francis, about 3-4 doors down from that intersection the last trip.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.5611744,-81.7967183,3a,75y,22.65h,94.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMhTJYO7zL2j9pzkWvmzyQg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

Yep, it has to be worse by now, and it's still only halfway through.

Key West was in about the worst spot possible for this. All of the lower keys are going to be hit hard,and it will be slow to get help back in due to the access. If the airport is operational it could help, and they can ferry a lot over as well if the docks are still OK. They can use the ferry dock but also the Mallory Square and Naval docks. You can actually get a lot there if they can get the boats.

Of course downtown Miami looks about as bad based on the video posted. Looks like the high rises are all surrounded by water down on the shore line.

Saw a post the cats are all safe at Hemmingways. That house was built by him out of coral blocks, it's damned bunker. Seriously the walls are more than a foot thick solid quarried coral stone, built up on the X zone height. I think it could defend artillery.

Irma

God, I'm going to be sick. I just figured out where that is. I was just there staying not 50' from that intersection in July. It's the corner of Francis and Eaton, edge of old town before the NAS. It means Caroline, Front and Green are all under water.

it still looks like about a foot or less there, and that intersection on the right starts the rise up the hill, and honestly that's good news given the predictions, but I'm still sick.
    Doesn't look good, but it doesn't look like devastation. I'm surprised none of the weather guys stayed on any of the Keys to broadcast from. Fingers crossed for Cudjoe Key and those folks.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Irma

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    3 people have died in Florida due to driving in this mess. One in the Keys, two in Hardee County.
    More bands of rain rolling in here locally, starting get reports of power outages and debris n the roadways.
    Hardee County deaths included a Sheriff deputy doing God's work and a correction officer.

Stay safe, Suncat. Really brings it home. God bless, friend.

Doesn't look good, but it doesn't look like devastation. I'm surprised none of the weather guys stayed on any of the Keys to broadcast from. Fingers crossed for Cudjoe Key and those folks.

That's where I'm at so far. Won't be good, but so far not wiped out either. I've been there twice after big storms, it's stunning how fast everyone wrings out the water and gets back to the Key West way of things.

But I am worried with no updates in the last 5-6 hours. There is a Miami Herald guy on the island and looks like 2-3 storm chasers as well. Either the cell towers are out and they have no satellite gear or they're hunkered down.

I've seen some real damage in marathon, and that's not surprising. Like I said those islands are even less protected, smaller, shorter and frankly many of the properties less well built than Key West. The amount of property will be smaller but they will probably be harder hit.

Irma

If I read it Twitter correctly, that vid was posted around 7:00am this morning. Landfall was at 9:10am.
    I think landfall is based on when the eye contacts land. The outer eye wall and outer bands were most assuredly pummeling the area a couple of hours prior

Naval Air Station KW reporting what I had hoped in a sad way, that the reason there are no reports from KW is there is no cell service.

Gettign conflicting reports. One tweet says it's OK so far, just the usual level of flooding (she's right, that Duval/Front area I was talking about does flood even in non-big storms), but also a report through a Miami Herald contact that there may be 14' foot of water and 5 dead at the Hyatt.

The only Hyatt I know of there is down on Front and that area, far west side above Mallory Square. Makes sense, that area does get hit hard and that's where that other video was at generall as well. But there are other regular Hyatt hotels up in new town too.

But a 14' surge would be extreme.

Both CNN and Fox have said its when the eye wall interacts with land and the lowest barometric pressure is read over land.
    I think landfall is based on when the eye contacts land. The outer eye wall and outer bands were most assuredly pummeling the area a couple of hours prior

Irma

Both CNN and Fox have said its when the eye wall interacts with land and the lowest barometric pressure is read over land.
    Which is currently happening for the second time Irma has made landfall in Fl as it crosses Marco Island.

Irma

St Lucie county is getting hammered with tornado activity... onshore/offshore

According to several reports, Cudjoe island experienced a 10 foot storm surge
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    According to several reports, Cudjoe island experienced a 10 foot storm surge
    That is a staggering blow.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    That is a staggering blow.
    I see it as both good and awful news. Cudjoe key will get the worst of it, so if 10' is the worst most of the rest of the keys probably got 5-7 or so, which is good news compared to the dire predictions of 10-15 and even 20+ surges.

BUT, I have friends who live on Cudjoe, and that island is ill prepared for that kind of impact. The houses up on stilts may be OK but maybe not b/c of the sheer force, but the others are likely gone. It's not tiny but it is small, and it's flat.

But I imagine Sugarloaf, Big Pine, they're all going to take a real hit. But they've taken a number of them over the decades, and they're still there. As long as no one was killed they'll fix it up and keep right on keepin' on.

Irma

Blue got in.

Increasingly good news from Key West. Airport fb post says things are OK. Surge was there, but doesn't sound like it was any worse than any other storm they've faced. I've been there within a week of 2 of them, if that's all they got they'll be OK.

Irma

Increasingly good news from Key West. Airport fb post says things are OK. Surge was there, but doesn't sound like it was any worse than any other storm they've faced. I've been there within a week of 2 of them, if that's all they got they'll be OK.
    The Fox News guy just queried how the folks in in Key West fared. He mentioned Cudjoe getting the worst of it, then he he said, " one thing for sure, those Conchs will fix it up and get right back after it". He mentioned the Cat Lady and waiting for the perfect sunset at Mallory Square.

Fab Five

The Fox News guy just queried how the folks in in Key West fared. He mentioned Cudjoe getting the worst of it, then he he said, " one thing for sure, those Conchs will fix it up and get right back after it". He mentioned the Cat Lady and waiting for the perfect sunset at Mallory Square.

He used a pejorative. Fox needs to be more politically correct.
    Real Fan since 1958

"feline endeared person of gender" I think is now the correct term. lol

More mixed signals, they're gearing up for a C130 based supply mission, sounds like they are very worried about the lower and middle keys. Going to try to get to Marathon airport first.

My guess is Key West is about like normal from a storm, as are the larger keys, but the smaller ones like Cudjoe, Sugarloaf, Big Pine, etc. may be really in trouble.

But the CNN guy was down on Plantation Key and it looked OK. It's all beaten up, but OK. I'm thinking the media is making more of this than is really there, which is no surprise.

Oh, and all of the sunsets are perfect,b/c just stopping to watch one is the important part.