Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Irma

Rupp's Runt

Re: Irma

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    If worse comes to worse, each of them can stick a finger in the dike.

LOL! 😉

Fab Five

Godspeed!
    Real Fan since 1958

My prayers are that this monster dissipates quickly and our friends down there remain safe

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Its now a cat 3 with 125 mph winds and a pressure is up to 941 mb, but it has slowed down to 9 mph due west. No north turn get
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I like that official.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Downtown Key West video live stream. I have been watching for a few minutes and HAVE seen a few folks wandering down the street.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Southern most point (Key West) live video stream

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Its now a cat 3 with 125 mph winds and a pressure is up to 941 mb, but it has slowed down to 9 mph due west. No north turn get
    The storm will regain strength. I am still concerned it will wind up going into the Gulf and staying there until it reaches the Big Bend.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Downtown Key West video live stream. I have been watching for a few minutes and HAVE seen a few folks wandering down the street.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGD1byu7gJc
    Thanks Dan, I've been flipping between the YouTube feeds and the local cams.

Still quite a few there. Saw some people walking their dog on Duval about 3pm. Godspeed to them all.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Looks like Old Town lost power about 15-25 minutes ago. Some underground run street lights and such are working so it's the above ground wiring and the plant is still operating.

reading that lots of folks who stayed have gone to La Conche, one of the oldest hotels there and a little more island than the new resorts. They opened the old high school too. which is ironic b/c it's a grand old building up on Flagler that has been on the market for 3 years or so with no takers. Was going to get converted to condos, deal fell through. With the demand there for real estate you know it has issues.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Not to drift off topic, but It is interesting to see how much human behavior with regard to hurricanes has changed in my lifetime. I can barely remember hurricane Betsy and a few others that hit New Orleans. My aunt and uncle at the first hint of a hurricane would book a couple of rooms either at the Roosevelt Hotel or the Monteleone. One room was for kids and the other was theirs to host a party. The ballrooms would book Al Hirt, Pete Fountain and other musicians to keep the party going 24/7.

People who stayed in their homes had neighbors over to party. After the hurricane everyone would talk about how bad the storm was but they all had a good time.

Those memories stand in stark contrast to all the huddled masses in the shelters. Could somebody not open the concession stands in these auditoriums and arenas and serve some booze? Why not turn on the arena sound systems and run through the hockey team playlist? It is just so grim! Life is too short to be so miserable. Too many transplants have moved into these areas. They have no business there.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 09-09-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

If it makes you feel better Mick there are reports that's what folks are doing at La Conche. Bourbon St Bar stayed open a long while too.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Not to drift off topic, but It is interesting to see how much human behavior with regard to hurricanes has changed in my lifetime. I can barely remember hurricane Betsy and a few others that hit New Orleans. My aunt and uncle at the first hint of a hurricane would book a couple of rooms either at the Roosevelt Hotel or the Monteleone. One room was for kids and the other was theirs to host a party. The ballrooms would book Al Hirt, Pete Fountain and other musicians to keep the party going 24/7.

People who stayed in their homes had neighbors over to party. After the hurricane everyone would talk about how bad the storm was but they all had a good time.

Those memories stand in stark contrast to all the huddled masses in the shelters. Could somebody not open the concession stands in these auditoriums and arenas and serve some booze? Why not turn on the arena sound systems and run through the hockey team playlist? It is just so grim! Life is too short to be so miserable. Too many transplants have moved into these areas. They have no business there.

I'm always amazed at the idiots and freeloaders. I had to pick up some bolts today at Home Depot as I was short a couple, and was in the parking lot. I stopped at a stop sign and started to go thru when an older gentleman started to cross so I stopped and signaled him to go ahead. He point at the stop sign and proceeded to cuss me out. Not sure why.
    We take in boarders during storms for folks who go to shelters. We require they bring a gallon of water in the event we lose water. The number who comment that they can't find water for themselves let alone their pet is remarkable. We simple explain to them all they need to do is get an empty gallon milk jug and fill it with TAP WATER because tap water is drinkable if you fill it BEFORE the hurricane

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If it makes you feel better Mick there are reports that's what folks are doing at La Conche. Bourbon St Bar stayed open a long while too.
    That's what I assumed they were doing. But look at how few there are. When faced with a situation you can't control make light of it. It's Mother Nature's reminder that material goods are not that important. Make the best of a bad situation. I blame all the bad attitudes on the weather channel.
    Real Fan since 1958

My daughter's little college in Georgia canceled classes Monday and Tuesday in preparation for Irma. It's not far from Mick's favorite Alabama town name, Wedowee!!!!!

I think they're going to be fine, but it will rain a lot, and in that "39 to 70" mph winds thing.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Lehigh Acres is just west outside of Ft. Myers. Off of State Road 80.
    I've been corrected by Mrs. Catfan73; her aunts live in Cape Coral. One of their daughters lives in Lehigh Acres. Hope everyone found something to hold onto!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

Oooooh, Cape Coral. The fastest growing city in the U.S., or so it is said on the news.

Rupp's Runt

I got up at 5 AM. I'm sitting at the front desk in the EOC watching one of the rain bands roll through.
    Yeah, it's gonna be a real frog strangler. 🐸

Were getting rain ban after rain ban. Ive not ventured outside yet but will do after my shower and coffee. Expecting 24 to 36 hrs of continual rain with episodes of gust upwards of 80 mph. Hope to not lose cable as I want to watch NFL today

We just lost power so now on generator but still have cable and internet

Rupp's Runt

3 people have died in Florida due to driving in this mess. One in the Keys, two in Hardee County.
    More bands of rain rolling in here locally, starting get reports of power outages and debris n the roadways.

Stay safe!

Irma

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    That's what I assumed they were doing. But look at how few there are. When faced with a situation you can't control make light of it. It's Mother Nature's reminder that material goods are not that important. Make the best of a bad situation. I blame all the bad attitudes on the weather channel.
    The Weather Channel and other media guys are almost saddened when there isn't much flooding, and wind destruction to report.

Right now they're trying to exaggerate some street flooding, repeating several inches.

My friends in and around Stuart are doing pretty good, still have power. I just got a text from one of them around Port Salerno west of US 1... she stated so far not much to worry about. Another over by Hobe Sound basically said the same thing. Looks like our friends on the east coast dodged the bullet... right now they're more worried about small pop up tornadoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 09-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

And like that, we got power back! Will see for how lomg

Irma

Ooops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 09-10-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Good Luck, Doc! I woke to a breezy morning here in the Ham. Winds out ot the east so I'm pretty sure it is tropical related. The latest shows the strom blowing through here late Monday night. Should be about 40-60 mph gusts. All the hotels are packed. Couple from Palm City were interviewed by AL.com. They said they had stayed home for Matthew but were too concerened with this storm to stay.
    Real Fan since 1958

Irma

Shh...Don't jinx it.