Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irma

Irma

Rooting for it to turn more easterly, Doc. You look like you are squarely in the sights of that major hurricane.

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather...-week/70002631

Rupp's Runt

Re: Irma

Most of the current models predict that Irma will turn northward before it reaches the east coast of Florida.
    I hope it stays out in the Atlantic Ocean and does no damage to the east coast of the United States. It is shaping up to be a really bad storm.
    MOLON LABE!

Hoping it turns out to sea and misses FLorida and my beloved Keys.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Scheduled to leave for Amelia Island on the 15th...hoping it stays away.

Hurricane Irma

This one looks bad and it looks loke its headed towarss me. Water already gone at local grocery stores. catagory 4 storm. Hopefully the carribean island knock it down
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Irma

Most Spaghetti models have it riding the Gulf Stream north... but it is a hurricane, unlike Harvey Irma looks to have some more predictable steerage influence.

edit: I just saw a new model showing it mowing over the keys and then in to the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 09-04-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Most now show it running up to the tip of FL then turning North. Im a good 100 mile north of miami so it would lose lots of its punch but still likely to shutter up
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Irma

Man!!! Now it looks like the whole length of Fl is going to take the hit. It's been upgraded to a five and will likely hit the southern tip of Fl as a four before it makes its northerly turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

And I am in the wrong side of the Herbert Hoover Dike. The spaghetti plots mostly show it going just west of Lake Okeechobee, or directly over it.
    Not a good scenario for me.
    This storm just became a Cat 5, the sustained winds just went from 125 mph to 150+ mph.
    My hope is that it goes directly over the mountains in Cuba before it turns north on us here.
    Doc & I may be in for a bit of a rough ride.

Irma

Extremely concerned for you guys. Sustained winds now at 175 mph and the path looks awful.

Fab Five

Where it turns north is critical. Hope it stays out of the Gulf and turns into the Gulfstream instead. Let's hope it weakens considerably. God bless those in its path.
    Real Fan since 1958

Officially the strongest Atlantic hurricane ever.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Officially the strongest Atlantic hurricane ever.
    180 mph winds! Incredible

I hope it runs right over peutro rico, haiti and cuba. Not so they get smack but so that the storm gets knocked down by the land mass

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

seeya
    dan

I enjoyed the Keys--not as much as our resident semi-Keys resident--but enjoyed them when I lived in Miami. But there's one little itsy bitsy road in and out of there, so I'd be getting out of Dodge, like, extra-early when the Hurricane comes a-calling.

It's going to be grim. I have made a lot of friends down there over the years, most of the island will end up in the ocean before it's over if this thing keeps going on this track.

We're looking at places down there, X Zone is the highest and that's where we want. I guess I'll get to see if it's really high enough or not. I'd rather not find out this way. They're shuttering everything, even the hospitals.

The other option, which is what most do, is pay the insurance on the building (Required), and don't put anything expensive in the house. It's not like you can afford more than 500sf anyway, so there's not much in contents to lose.

In the last one one guy we know was standing in his living room and all he could see out his window was ocean. He was in his house quite literally standing in the ocean. This one looks to be worse.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It is highly unlikely that it arrives at this strength, but even a Cat 4 at 140 mph will level most structures in that area. I am really hoping for a turn north before it gets there, but truly can not see any weather feature that will cause it to do that. Massive, powerful storm that will go where it wants to.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I enjoyed the Keys--not as much as our resident semi-Keys resident--but enjoyed them when I lived in Miami. But there's one little itsy bitsy road in and out of there, so I'd be getting out of Dodge, like, extra-early when the Hurricane comes a-calling.
    My wife asked if we were leaving. My response was to where? My folks live in North Carolina. If it turns before FL, guess where it goes...NORTH CAROLINA. Do I to GA and hunker down in a hotel? It will take me 10 days to get there. Meanwhile I have a house with a generator and shutters, and a hurricane room. Plus I have a business that I have a responsibility to. My daughter can't evacuate since she works for the police dept in Vero Beach. I always make fun of the idiots who stay but mostly its the ones who do idiotic things. Hopefully that won't be me.

But if I was in the Keys, I'd have already left. As you say, there is one road in and out, and much is SINGLE LANE. Talk about a NIGHTMARE.

seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    My wife asked if we were leaving. My response was to where? My folks live in North Carolina. If it turns before FL, guess where it goes...NORTH CAROLINA. Do I to GA and hunker down in a hotel? It will take me 10 days to get there. Meanwhile I have a house with a generator and shutters, and a hurricane room. Plus I have a business that I have a responsibility to. My daughter can't evacuate since she works for the police dept in Vero Beach. I always make fun of the idiots who stay but mostly its the ones who do idiotic things. Hopefully that won't be me.

But if I was in the Keys, I'd have already left. As you say, there is one road in and out, and much is SINGLE LANE. Talk about a NIGHTMARE.
    With the precautions you take, you'll be fine when nobody else will. Just don't decide to go joy riding through 12-feet of water streets, willya?

Sustained winds at 185, gusts to 255. That is insane. Hopefully it crosses Cuba and the mountains curb it before hitting Florida.

seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    With the precautions you take, you'll be fine when nobody else will. Just don't decide to go joy riding through 12-feet of water streets, willya?
    Why? I got a 4 wheel drive with a rebel flag and a gun rack, and some cowboy boots! Just because all those other cars are flooded doesn't mean I can't make it thru.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-05-2017 at 03:24 PM.

notice a similarity?

Irma looks pretty dang "perfect" as an incredibly dangerous hurricane. The formation is beautiful, if you want to call it that.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

is that a certain tweeter you are quoting?

Horrifying. God bless the people and animals in the path of that storm.

Let's work help folks after it passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Why? I got a 4 wheel drive with a rebel flag and a gun rack, and some cowboy boots! Just because all those other cars are flooded doesn't mean I can't make it thru.
    You need hip waders.

seeya
    dan

Doc, you're prepared, you'll be fine. Be careful, but you've made good plans. It's the people in trailer parks and the fools who are in trouble.

That and anyone on an island that's only about 3 or 5 feet above the ocean level on a good day. They're not going to get flooded, that's called swimming in the ocean.