Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1335

Thread: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Speaking of "Jumping the Shark," one of my all-time favorite coined phrases that worked perfectly, name the time when some of the TV shows you followed "Jumped the Shark," so that we know when to stop watching the show if we've been binge watching them.

*I think everyone knows what it means, but just in case, it's the moment when the TV show has given up, or deteriorated to the point where it no longer resembles the quality that it once had.

I'll start with the one that defined it, the easiest answer for any TV series, I think:

Happy Days
    When the guys went out to Hollywood, and Fonzie water-ski jumped over a shark in a cage (complete with his leather jacket on). That marked the beginning of the end of "Happy Days." The shows may have been deteriorating before that, but that was the white flag moment to surrender the show.

You name one and give your moment, and then hopefully we can get a lot of folks contributing. Dissension and debate is welcome, too, if you disagree.

* EDIT--I looked up the "definition" of "jump the shark," and I guess they view it a little differently than I do. They say it's the point at which far-fetched events are included merely for the sake of novelty, indicative of a decline in quality. In my book, that's certain a common way a show "jumps the shark," and maybe the best definition of it, but I like to think of it as anything, not necessarily just something far-fetched, that marks that moment at which the quality has declined. You use your own definition.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 12-15-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Yep, it is always funny to me that the phrase came from literally jumping over a shark.

Dexter SPOILER **

I liked Dexter a lot until his soon to be wife was killed, still liked it until the last season or so, but it got so convoluted and twisty-turny at the end.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Justified was one of my favorites... it was originally broadcast on FX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Going old school

The Brady Bunch meets cousin Oliver, although they "jumped the baby shark" on the Hawaii trip with the Tiki and Vincent Price
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Showtime has a new series with Bryan Cranston, Your Honor.

https://www.sho.com/your-honor

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Lost...when the whole friggin Island time travelled

That 70's Show pulled a Bewitched and changed character with a new Laurie and then Topher left the show
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Like I mentioned above, My Name Is Earl--when Earl went to jail.

Andy Griffith--when they went to color

I Love Lucy--when they moved to Hollywood

Laverne & Shirley--ditto
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The new season of The Expanse comes out today on Prime.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

The Office jumped the shark when Steve Carrell left.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

Andy Griffith--when they went to color
    It all happened around the same time--season 6 went to color. Don Knotts left. But for me, the beginning of the end was the ARRIVAL of Warren Ferguson. He was so unlikeable. He appeared in Season 6 (the first color season), but about 6 episodes in. He did not last, just got booted without explanation.

No doubt, it lost some charm moving from B/W to color, but the sour taste for me arrived with his arrival.

And as I think about it, it had already begun to go bad. Aunt Bea's romance was a stinker that happened before that. Really, I guess just the whole season.

Such a shame. What a great show (before then).

How about Major Nelson and Jeannie getting married? Show ended pretty soon after that. Kinda destroyed the sexual tension in the show which I think was part of its spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    How about Major Nelson and Jeannie getting married? Show ended pretty soon after that. Kinda destroyed the sexual tension in the show which I think was part of its spark.
    True for a lot of shows. Many are based on that tension between the man and woman, but after 4 or 6 or whatever years it begs the question why they haven't done anything about it. Theyr'e kinda stuck either way.

Trying to think of those that worked. Big Bang theory is one, where Penny and Leonard dated but then broke up but then married, and the show really didn't lose anything at all. The characters moved through time and grew up and got married and the show was still great.

I know on Castle that Nathan Fillian was against them getting together for exactly that reason. that and they really didn't like each other in real life. Series did fine with them together IMO, but it did change the dynamic.

On Cheers it didn't work, and a host of others.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    True for a lot of shows. Many are based on that tension between the man and woman, but after 4 or 6 or whatever years it begs the question why they haven't done anything about it. Theyr'e kinda stuck either way.

Trying to think of those that worked. Big Bang theory is one, where Penny and Leonard dated but then broke up but then married, and the show really didn't lose anything at all. The characters moved through time and grew up and got married and the show was still great.

I know on Castle that Nathan Fillian was against them getting together for exactly that reason. that and they really didn't like each other in real life. Series did fine with them together IMO, but it did change the dynamic.

On Cheers it didn't work, and a host of others.
    As noted previously, on The Office, when Pam and Jim tied the knot, it lost a bit. Wasn't a jump the shark type thing but did lose a bit. Of course it was a natural progression and something the fans wanted. Now when Dwight married Angela.... the shark could have been the ring bearer

And lets not forget Luke and Laura!

Of course the biggest TV wedding disaster was Di and Charles
    Last edited by Doc; 12-17-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Of course no TV wedding will match Edmure Tully and Roslin Frey.

And for Jumping the Shark...GoT did it the final season. What a waste

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    As noted previously, on The Office, when Pam and Jim tied the knot, it lost a bit. Wasn't a jump the shark type thing but did lose a bit. Of course it was a natural progression and something the fans wanted. Now when Dwight married Angela.... the shark could have been the ring bearer

And lets not forget Luke and Laura!

Of course the biggest TV wedding disaster was Di and Charles
    Do you think just because Luke and Laura were in search of a statue that contained the ice princess (the worlds largest diamond) and a formula for carbonic snow that the wicked and powerful Mikkos was going to use to freeze the town of Port Charles in his quest for world dominance warrants a “jump the shark” designation??

I was in college at the time in Jensen Beach, and we made sure we were home everyday between 3-4 to watch GH. We’d even leave the beach in order to get home in time for GH.

PSA

Band of Brothers marathon starting at 8:00 est am Thursday. Set your dvr’s...

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    PSA

Band of Brothers marathon starting at 8:00 est am Thursday. Set your dvr’s...

What network? Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime, I hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    What network? Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime, I hope...
    Oooops, History channel...

Oooops, History channel...

Thank you! Excellent.

Band of Brothers reminder...

Band of Brothers reminder...

Argggggh. I thought Thursday was Christmas Day

Band of Brothers was well worth the watch.

PSA: just saw this, Paramount channel is currently running all three seasons of Yellowstone back to back to back. Set your DVR...

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Band of Brothers was well worth the watch.
    I think I can watch it on Amazon Prime or something. At one point I had it downloaded to my Droid TV app, but it was deleted when the provider decided that they did not have access to it. Other than sports, that's where I watch 99% of my TV.

Started watching the movie midway, really have enjoyed it so far.

Started Sneaky Pete and enjoying that one to this point.

Saw Wonder Woman 1984. I think there were better tv episodes back in the ‘70’s.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Started Sneaky Pete and enjoying that one to this point.
    What network is Sneaky Pete being shown on?

I am watching it on Amazon prime.

Is the paramount channel and pay channel?