Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Any of you caught "Godless" on Netflix. Excellent western with Jeff Daniels as the most known actor. Story about a town of women whose men all parish in a mine in one day.
    I've seen it. Pretty good work. I wish they'd done more.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Just an interesting tidbit:

He (Clint Eastwood) and Burt Reynolds had major influences on each other's careers. It was he who sent a copy of "Sharky's Machine" to Reynolds, which gave Reynolds the idea to turn the novel into a movie, Sharky's Machine (1981), which went on to garner excellent reviews. On the other hand, it was Reynolds who sent Clint a copy of "The Outlaw Josey Wales", later made into a film by Eastwood (The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)). Years later, Reynolds told him about "this great novel" called "The Bridges of Madison County", and some time later it was shot by Eastwood (The Bridges of Madison County (1995)).
    Sharky's Machine got excellent reviews? I think Eastwood got the better end of that set of trades by far, with Madison County and Josie Wales.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

^^You gotta think Rachel Ward might have brought it up a couple of notches and it was nominated for a golden globe.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 86%
    Last edited by badrose; 12-20-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Just an interesting tidbit:

He (Clint Eastwood) and Burt Reynolds had major influences on each other's careers. It was he who sent a copy of "Sharky's Machine" to Reynolds, which gave Reynolds the idea to turn the novel into a movie, Sharky's Machine (1981), which went on to garner excellent reviews. On the other hand, it was Reynolds who sent Clint a copy of "The Outlaw Josey Wales", later made into a film by Eastwood (The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)). Years later, Reynolds told him about "this great novel" called "The Bridges of Madison County", and some time later it was shot by Eastwood (The Bridges of Madison County (1995)).
    If you get a chance, check out Reynolds' memoir "But Enough About Me." He had a very interesting life and had some great relationships with respected actors. He probably could've had a more substantial career if he hadn't spent a lot of his best acting years doing "lesser"* movies as favors for friends.

*--I put lesser in quotes because I think movies like Smokey & The Bandit and Hooper have not insignificant value, as well. Good escapist fare for middle America and a type of reflection of America in the 70s--at least the little corner of America where I grew up.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Noticed "It's A Wonderful Life", both the B&W and colorized (if you're into that sort of thing) versions, are on Amazon Prime video. Saves you having to sit through the TV version, which they seem to chop up with commercials every 5 minutes.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    If you get a chance, check out Reynolds' memoir "But Enough About Me." He had a very interesting life and had some great relationships with respected actors. He probably could've had a more substantial career if he hadn't spent a lot of his best acting years doing "lesser"* movies as favors for friends.

*--I put lesser in quotes because I think movies like Smokey & The Bandit and Hooper have not insignificant value, as well. Good escapist fare for middle America and a type of reflection of America in the 70s--at least the little corner of America where I grew up.
    I'm quite familiar with that little corner.

I don't think he was focused on having a brilliant career so much as having fun and close relationships. Cannonball Run, for instance must have been a thrill for him.

^^You gotta think Rachel Ward might have brought it up a couple of notches and it was nominated for a golden globe.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 86%
    Oh, that scene with Rachael Ward and the skirt is the reason I watch that movie at all.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

I would argue that Smokey and the Bandit, for being a farcical comedy, is a seminal work in American film. Simply b/c it, more than maybe any other film, brought the culture of an era to film and a wider audience. Reynolds did a number of those Southern 70s movies, and I have seen them all, and there are other actors, but that film stands out for having reached a national audience and frankly being just an entertaining film, and one that actually painted the South in pretty true cultural colors for the time though clearly that was an aside.

I'd liken it to Shaft, IMO the seminal blaxploitation film, in the historical context. Though it's a way better film than Shaft IMO.

I'ts just a fun, good time movie, one of my favorites.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 12-20-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I would argue that Smokey and the Bandit, for being a farcical comedy, is a seminal work in American film. Simply b/c it, more than maybe any other film, brought the culture of an era to film and a wider audience. Reynolds did a number of those Southern 70s movies, and I have seen them all, and there are other actors, but that film stands out for having reached a national audience and frankly being just an entertaining film, and one that actually painted the South in pretty true cultural colors for the time though clearly that was an aside.

I'd liken it to Shaft, IMO the seminal blaxploitation film, in the historical context. Though it's a way better film than Shaft IMO.

I'ts just a fun, good time movie, one of my favorites.
    I know it sold a lot of Trans Am's so much so that I got a Mahogany 280 ZX instead because so many black Trans Am's were already around. No regrets though. As to the movie, I watched it a lot. As you said, it resonated to a lot of us and we experienced it vicariously.

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Got sucked into Game of Thrones... good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Got sucked into Game of Thrones... good stuff.

Yes it is. I understand the 8th and final season will be out around June this year. It's been a while since season 7. I just finished watching Taxi Driver. I remember watching it several years ago and forgot just how long that movie dragged out. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Any of you caught "Godless" on Netflix. Excellent western with Jeff Daniels as the most known actor. Story about a town of women whose men all parish in a mine in one day.
    I keep thinking about watching it. But have not yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post

Same. Has one of the daughters from Downton Abbey in it. Talk about a change!

I just watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom on Netflix last night. It's historical fiction, set in 9th century England. Lots of Viking invaders, intrigue, fighting--very entertaining so far.

Same. Has one of the daughters from Downton Abbey in it. Talk about a change!

I just watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom on Netflix last night. It's historical fiction, set in 9th century England. Lots of Viking invaders, intrigue, fighting--very entertaining so far.

Started rewatching HBO’s True Detective season 1...

Really good!! It’s kind of dark, and covers some hard to watch topics, but very well done. Ahright, ahright, ahright, does an outstanding job of acting.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

^^^Definitely one of those you can go back and watch time and time again. The next season didn't come close.

More stuff about True Detective including a season 3.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...-rust-affleck/

More stuff about True Detective including a season 3.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...-rust-affleck/
    What a good show. That will be fun again.

I'm still watching "God Friended Me."

Really has some neat twists and turns in this show. Not so believable, but that's ok. Show surrounds an Episcopal priest (curses, drinks), whose son is an atheist (star of the show; the guy who was "Friended" by God on Facebook), and whose daughter is a lesbian bartender, studying to be a psychiatrist.

Don't get turned off by the fact it has "God" in the title (if that would turn you off from watching the show). It's not a religious show. It is a feel-good show, though. Not a ton of substance behind it. Just fun. Neat twists and turns. Right about the time you think, "oh, that was cool," it turns another corner that sort of blows your mind. Really good writing for this kind of show.

Rupp's Runt

Just finished Shooter. Time to find something else to watch while I work out.

If you've never seen Cool Hand Luke starring Paul Newman, it's on Netflix now.

Rupp's Runt

Frontier on Netflix. Anyone watched it? Opinions?

If you've never seen Cool Hand Luke starring Paul Newman, it's on Netflix now.
    Hope everyone has seen it. it's a requirement of American culture IMO, like a great book.

"I'm shakin' it boss..."

Took my wife and 18yr old daughter to watch Kingsman II yesterday. If you liked the first one you'll like the second.
    I didn't even see you post about this movie, but I really like the Kingsman movies for some reason.

Of course the 2nd one has lots of Kentucky orientation, which is cool, even if they do have everyone dressing up like a Texas stereotype and not a Kentucky one (cowboy hats, boots, etc.). the Statesman distillery is supposed to be just outside Louisville somewhere.

But this IMO was super cool: when Eggsy is in the bar and thinks to get a puppy to jog Harry's memory, he googles on his phone to a map to a pet store.

That map is of Lexington. It takes him to a pet store on Clays Mill Road, but the entire map is an actual correct Lexington map. It starts at Garden Springs / Gardenside area, an old neighborhood between Harrodsburg Rd and Parkers Mill inside the circle, and then locates to a fake store that would be right on the campus of Lexington Catholic.

Just thought it was an interesting easter egg.

Oh, and Kingsman II has one of the great "bottomless gun" scenes in all of cinema. Guy has a pair of 6 shooter Colts, modified with a lower barrel that cannot possibly serve any purpose.

I didn't go frame by frame but I think he shoots 32 rounds out of that 12 possible rounds. Then he runs out with the last guy and has to kill him another way. No way he could reload, this was with guys coming at him from every direction, and the Colts they used for the film are SAAs, single action armys, which require unloading and reloading 1 round at a time in the cylinder unless you remove the entire cylinder, which is really slow. It's not even a drop yoke like a Smith and Wesson where you could at least speed load.

He returns to their lair to announce he's out of ammo. lol. Yeah, I guess the rip in space/time closed on him.

Just funny to me. In other places they are much more accurate, but this scene is just over the top. As are many in both movies, on purpose.

Rupp's Runt

Tried to start Godless and Frontier tonight. But I guess I wasn't in the mood for something new. Didn't make it past the intro of either. So I started Daredevil season 3.

Well, Dish and HBO have have been at an impasse for a few months now. Haven't missed it much but with True Detective coming up and Game of Thrones a couple of months later, I'm looking at other options. Anyone here have a Roku Ultra 4k?

I watched a silly youtube video last night (wee hours, I do that a lot on my 2nd monitor) about the Making of the 80s film "Krull". Great concept, lousy execution. Lost a bunch of money.

Anyway, I had no idea where that cast ended up.

The lead guy actually was Commander Eddington on DS9. I had no clue. Have seen DS9 through at least 10 times. Never registered. Doesn't look at all like him to me, maybe a little, but not much.

But the big star that was in that movie was Liam Neeson, who played one of the thieves who joined the quest. there were 3-4 other British actors who all ended up as pretty well known comedic or character actors, but Neeson blew me away, I never put it together. Very early role for him.

Oddly Kevin Bacon wasn't in it.

Rupp's Runt

Anyone here have a Roku Ultra 4k?
    Yes

Yes

Please advise. Do you like it, love it, regret it...? Does one work for all TV's in the house?