Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

They should have the actor (forget his name) that played Dwight Shroot make a guest appearance as a kgb operative lol. He was really good in Sahara.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Season 3 of Daredevil premiers on October 19th on Netflix. Good series but it took long enough to come back around. Kinda like Stranger Things but I guess they're worth it.

The next season of Stranger Things won't be back around until 2019 some time.
    Last edited by badrose; 10-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

If you had to pick between Two Mules for Sister Sara (Eastwood) and Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) which one would you pick?

Shirley MacLaine and Katherine Hepburn respectively.
    Last edited by badrose; 10-09-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Young Guns II came out on Blu Ray for pre-order a week or so ago to be released on Nov 20th. It's already sold out and at a price I wasn't going to bite on, $24.99. I have the first Young Guns but 2 is one of those fairly rare occasions where the sequel is better. Should have plenty of time to restock but I doubt the price will go down.

Watched the first episode of a new TV show last night that was much, much better than I expected. The show was like a mini-movie. I don't know if the writing can keep up those standards week-after-week, but if it does, it's a winner.

"God Friended Me."

I watched the 42-minute, no commercial version (thanks again, DroidTV lifetime subscription and casting) last night, and about 5 minutes in, I'm thinking this is just a silly little sitcom type show.

About 10-15 minutes in, there was a twist or two that made it interesting.

By 20-25 minutes, it had begun getting very good with some intrigue. By 30 minutes, you were dropping your mouth open the twists were so good.

I have probably oversold this TV show--it's not a classic, or anything like that. But for a new television show, I found it quite, quite good. I have seen mixed reviews on this--some thinking it is very clever, with some excellent actors--others thinking it's silly, or sappy, or stupid, or whatever.

It is NOT a silly, wacky TV show. I think the review I read that said that fell for the obvious--the title of the show would lead you to believe that. Instead, it is a drama, with some humorous moments, and yeah, some cheesiness. Love the star (Brandon Micheal Hall); really good actor. And guys like his Dad, a preacher (get it--preacher's son is an atheist) was outstanding, although he had a very limited role.

You may hate it. I really liked it. It's not all-religiousy, although the premise certainly includes that for sure.

The basic premise (I don't want to ruin any story lines, but it would help your interest if I did) is that an atheist podcaster

Here are the comments from people after one review I read:

OCTOBER 12, 2018 AT 9:39 AM
    I hope this show has a long run, but even if it doesn’t, I’ll always love it for introducing me to Beautiful Boy by John Lennon.
    I’d be er heard it until it was featured in the second or third episode.

Belle Wong says:
    OCTOBER 12, 2018 AT 7:57 AM
    I love this show b/c it’s hopeful and deals with sad issues w/o blood and gore. Plus, it’s nice that my 16-year old daughter likes to watch it with me. <3

Damion says:
    OCTOBER 10, 2018 AT 7:11 PM
    Awesome series. Since the first episode I’ve been looking forward to episode 2. It is very fresh and inspiring. Please keep it going!

Rick says:
    OCTOBER 8, 2018 AT 11:10 PM
    Great show

jgal says:
    OCTOBER 8, 2018 AT 3:42 PM
    I’ve watched both episodes and love it! It’s nice to watch something that inspires us to be better people. We need this now more than ever.

Kathleen Listenberger says:
    OCTOBER 8, 2018 AT 1:01 PM
    Absolutely love this program….about time we start seeing shows like this. .wouldn’t miss it…..thank.you

Kathleen Burton says:
    OCTOBER 8, 2018 AT 12:26 PM
    I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Please don’t take it off the air. The thing about God is, He just wants us to be kind and loving to one another.

Carrie Grisom says:
    OCTOBER 8, 2018 AT 12:09 PM
    LOVE this show!!! Sooo hoping it doesn’t get shelved and continues on!! I can hardly wait until the next episode!!! Thank you for this show!!!!

gabrielle neubauer says:
    OCTOBER 7, 2018 AT 9:21 PM
    Generation geezer here. When i saw ads for this show, I wanted to take it for a test drive. I see things I may have experienced in earlier life, with much simpler or no technology to confuse me more than i already was. Thanks for taking a chance, and I want to continue this ride, to see where it takes me.

Susan Kiser says:
    OCTOBER 7, 2018 AT 7:00 PM
    Love the show because it shows the struggle to believe without making those who believe a joke.

Naomi says:
    OCTOBER 7, 2018 AT 6:29 PM
    Love this show. The goodness of the story line is refreshing. I am a 68 year old Boomer and Drama shows have been uninteresting for many years. So glad to see a positive message for a change. God is good!

Patricia M Cox says:
    OCTOBER 7, 2018 AT 6:02 PM
    I really like God friended me. It is a great feel good show.

Bev Miller says:
    OCTOBER 6, 2018 AT 7:28 PM
    JUST watched s saved episode, and really enjoyed it! Nice to see a feel good show instead of so much nonsense!

Gene Harnage says:
    OCTOBER 6, 2018 AT 7:06 PM
    I just watched the new show called “ God Friended Me”. I must say I enjoyed it very much. It made me smile, laugh and appreciate the writing and how the characters present it. I will be watching this again.

Debbie says:
    SEPTEMBER 30, 2018 AT 7:30 PM
    Wow what a wonderful show !!
    Was soooo engaged in the show, Thank you for finally making a show everyone can enjoy its been a long time I have been glued to the TV ��❤

Tisha says:
    SEPTEMBER 30, 2018 AT 3:04 PM
    I really liked this show. True, I’m GenX and not a millennial but the hopefulness of this show put a smile on my face. The cast is wonderful, especially the lead so I’m all in on this one.

Damon says:
    SEPTEMBER 26, 2018 AT 1:25 PM
    Sometimes you can tell how good a show will be by counting how many times the review uses the word “premise”. A 5 premise show seems pretty iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    If you had to pick between Two Mules for Sister Sara (Eastwood) and Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) which one would you pick?

Shirley MacLaine and Katherine Hepburn respectively.
    Rooster Cogburn. I love Eastwood, and I like Two Mules, but Wayne and Hepburn I thought made for a great movie.

But it's not far apart. Both great movies.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Well, it wasn't close between the two. Rooster Cogburn sold out quickly while Two Mules for Sister Sara will be arrive at my door on Friday. Rooster Cogburn will arrive Nov 20th at the earliest.

It's a John Wayne classic, with a leading lady that can hold her own with him. Not many have the screen presence to balance him. Maureen O'Hara was great with him b/c of that ability.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's a John Wayne classic, with a leading lady that can hold her own with him. Not many have the screen presence to balance him. Maureen O'Hara was great with him b/c of that ability.
    Dean Martin was in a couple of movies with him; Rio Bravo and The Sons of Katie Elder. Dean wasn't a great actor but you could tell he was soaking it all in working with The Duke. Good times.

Just watched Rio Bravo this past week. Fun movie with him and also Ricky Nelson at the height of his popularity.

Of that series I really like that one and Rio Lobo. I esp. like the women characters in Rio Lobo. "I've been called a lot of things, but not comfortable."

Just watched Rio Bravo this past week. Fun movie with him and also Ricky Nelson at the height of his popularity.

Of that series I really like that one and Rio Lobo. I esp. like the women characters in Rio Lobo. "I've been called a lot of things, but not comfortable."
    Some trivia from Rio Lobo...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066301...ef_=tt_trv_trv

Did not know the girl who played in that movie became a studio CEO. That's interesting and cool.

I did know it wasn't very successful compared to expectations, and that Hawks blamed just about everyone but himself. IMO the movie wasn't well cast, but the biggest problem was it was the 3rd make of the same basic movie, which he also acknowledged. This was released in 1970, the formula western was losing popularity, and they just made the same basic movie as they did in El Dorado and earlier Rio Bravo, though Rio Bravo was some years earlier.

Just to compare, top movies in 1970 included MASH, Patton, Kelly's Heroes, A Love Story, Two Mules for Sister Sara, The Aristocats (I love that movie), etc. Not exactly edgy but edgier than a typical Hawks movie.

I looked it up, and it looks like This one was still #22, so it's not like it bombed utterly. It just wasn't a huge hit. By comparison El Dorado was #8 in 1967.

FWIW i was surprised how many westerns were still at the top of that list in those years. IMDB lists top movies by year, and there were still a lot of westerns out there in the early 1970s. Esp. if you combine that with war pics, which are the same kind of genre IMO.

By 1972 though you're getting into the gritty urban cop drama era, with the Dirty Harry movies, The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange (#1 in 1972), and the Bond movies really establishing themselves.

1972 The Beguiled was #12, honestly I'm surprised it was that high. That's one of Eastwood's weirdest movies if you ask me. Up there with Play Misty for Me, which was #15. Didn't know they were the same release year at all.

Hey, Shaft was #25 that year. Thought that would be a LOT higher. Crazy list that year if you ask me, lots of weird films. Klute, THX1138, Walkabout, Harold and Maude, those are all off beat films. All top 25ish.

The Godfather came out in '72 and I became a big fan. The novel was even better because the characters' thoughts were narrated and stuff that never got a mention in the movie like the plight of Sonny's wife due to his endowment. They came out years later with I and II shown in chronological order. I used to have a recording of it on my DVR but got wiped out.

Did not know the girl who played in that movie became a studio CEO. That's interesting and cool.

I did know it wasn't very successful compared to expectations, and that Hawks blamed just about everyone but himself. IMO the movie wasn't well cast, but the biggest problem was it was the 3rd make of the same basic movie, which he also acknowledged. This was released in 1970, the formula western was losing popularity, and they just made the same basic movie as they did in El Dorado and earlier Rio Bravo, though Rio Bravo was some years earlier.

Just to compare, top movies in 1970 included MASH, Patton, Kelly's Heroes, A Love Story, Two Mules for Sister Sara, The Aristocats (I love that movie), etc. Not exactly edgy but edgier than a typical Hawks movie.

I looked it up, and it looks like This one was still #22, so it's not like it bombed utterly. It just wasn't a huge hit. By comparison El Dorado was #8 in 1967.
    It was the anti-hero era in Hollywood, even with westerns--Butch Cassidy, The Wild Bunch, etc. Duke's role in True Grit for which he got an Oscar was an anti-hero of sorts.

Still like Rio Lobo. It's one of those movies I'll stop and watch if I'm surfing around and find it on.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

BTW, caught Stagecoach on TCM last night. Man, what a great movie. And the stunt work in the Indian attack scene was

I'm a sucker for a Western, even a mediocre one. I can't wait to see The Sisters Brothers.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Here's a list of the best Western actors from IMDb :

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls006440673/

Here's a list of the top 75 western movies (starting with #75)

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...estern-movies/

Last edited by badrose; 10-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Has anyone here seen the version of True Grit that has Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin...? It's ranked higher than the original by quite a bit, #11 overall in a list of 150 westerns.

^I've seen it. It's good and worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The original is still pretty darn good IMHO. Any movie that has John Wayne, Strother Martin, Dennis Hopper and Robert Duvall in it is OK by me, even though Glen Campbell shows he isn't much of an actor.

Thanks--you know, I never saw the last movie he did, "How to Frame a Figg," which I would really like to see.

I probably have seen most of the others. Some of my favorites are The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Incredible Mr. Limpett, The Shakiest Gun in the West, The Reluctant Astronaut, and No Time for Sergeants (with Andy).

Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^I've seen it. It's good and worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The original is still pretty darn good IMHO. Any movie that has John Wayne, Strother Martin, Dennis Hopper and Robert Duvall in it is OK by me, even though Glen Campbell shows he isn't much of an actor.
    Thanks! I ordered it and it will arrive along with Rooster Cogburn on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Thanks--you know, I never saw the last movie he did, "How to Frame a Figg," which I would really like to see.

I probably have seen most of the others. Some of my favorites are The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Incredible Mr. Limpett, The Shakiest Gun in the West, The Reluctant Astronaut, and No Time for Sergeants (with Andy).

Those were the days.

Will Stockdale: Hey, Ben. Maybe you'll get to like the Air Force. Zoomin' all over the sky - and shouting, "Roger" and "Wilco" and everything. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Benjamin B. Whitledge: Bad? You know what they call men in the Air Force?

[Will shakes his head "no"]

Benjamin B. Whitledge: Air man! Like somethin' out of a dang funny book! Air man! How you gonna like it when somebody calls you "Air man"?

Will Stockdale: By dog, I just don't think I'll stand for it.

More quotes: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052005...ref_=tt_trv_qu
    Last edited by badrose; 10-23-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Remember the TV series, Combat! ? They've got it all on DVD's. It's about $115.00 for the set.

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Took the wife to see A Star is Born...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

^^^ How was it?

I finally got around to watching True Grit (2010) and it was quite good. Great storytelling, very tight, and the picture was sharp.

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

^^^ How was it?
    It’s very well done, we really enjoyed it. Having seen the 70’s version, I was actually interested in seeing how they adapted it to current time.

Gaga, love her or hate her can flat out sing, and I was pleasantly surprised at Bradly Cooper’s singing/acting, he did a great job.

If you know the storyline just be prepared, let’s just say it got a little dusty or smoky in the the theater a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire