Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I just saw that the 3rd season of Stranger Things will premier on July 4th this year. I hope it's as good as the first two.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 2

After watching season 1, I was disappointed with the second season. After about 3 episodes, I lost interest

A new season of Sneaky Pete is up on Amazon Prime! It's a good show if you haven't watched it and you can start from the beginning.

HBO's "Chernobyl" is a definite must watch.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I like Anne Hathaway, but at the risk of sounding sexist, what's the deal with all these lady remakes? Lady Ghostbusters, Lady Oceans 11, Lady What Women Want, Lady Big, now Lady Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. (I might even throw Captain Marvel into that category, but I don't know enough about the comic book history of that vs. Shazam to say.) If I were a woman I'd feel a little condescended to, as if they can't come up with any independent ideas for movies with strong women leads.
    I'll sound sexist too, but IMO it's very sexist. They take movies written for male roles and just re-cast them. Not exactly stepping back to look at how to approach it for women.

Re Captain Marvel I think the MCU will take a big hit with her as the face of it. She's singularly unlikable and doesn't really act in the role.

And it's not about her being a woman.it's about her putting the politics of feminism into the role and her comments about it. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman got a completely different response from largely male comic book fans, and Wonder Woman is the definitive strong, capable female superhero persona.

It's the difference between writing a great story that has a female lead and writing a role to make a political point. You simply won't get good writing if you write for politics instead of a story.

And that doesn't exclude a great female story that is strong, action packed, etc. whatever.

Brie Larson is going around talking about being the "first female superhero" etc. What a crock. beyond Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, has she watched action/scifi films for the last 30 years? Sigourney Weaver may want to have a word with her, and Linda Hamilton in Terminator who was great in both of the first two films.

Re the particular history of Marvel v. Marvel/Shazam, Captain marvel as a female role for Marvel wasn't ever a very big character. Marvel has a lot of female characters (admittedly most of the very scantily drawn) but it's kind of an odd pick for them to go with her as the lead.

part of the reason they chose her IMO is really her biggest weakness. she's what comic/Scifi people call a "Mary Sue", which is a reference to fanfic where a girl writes herself as an unstoppable hero with no weaknesses.

The thing about superheroes, to be a good one they need weaknesses, they need bad guys who can beat them if they arent' smarter or faster, etc. That's the problem with Superman. he went from being extraordinary when introduced to being unstoppable over the decades. How do you make that interesting when the outcome is a given?

The current Captain Marvel has that problem. She's nearly invincible. I wont' spoiler Endgame, but you can see it in there and her movie. She's not invincible, but when you're stronger than the God of Thunder or the Hulk that's a tough character to write for.

She's strong simply b/c they want a super strong female role. But that's not good writing, whether male or female. Ironman is human, he's beatable. Captain America is extraordinary, but still human. Even Thor has limits, Hulk obviously is super strong but not exactly stable, he has weaknesses.

There's some good reads btw on the Shazam thing with marvel and the lawsuit, etc. ANd on the history of Shazam. It was bought by DC after the lawsuits etc., and has had a whole host of spinoff characters.

Of course I remember the 70s TV show, and that's what they went with for the film, which I think is great. I havent' seen the movie yet but will just b/c of that tie in. I think they can build a smaller but sound series out of it.

OK, done ranting. yeah, I probably focus on comic books too much these days. Something to occupy myself now and then.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

BTW that's one reason I like Star Trek Voyager. I think Kate Mulgrew and the writers did a good job of writing the captain as a woman, not just taking a "star trek captain" and casting a woman to it. She has thoughts and feelings and views that are female, but that doesn't diminish her strength or ability at all.

But she sees the crew as more of a family, with her responsible for them. she's torn between Star Trek duty and caring for these people as people.

You see the same kinds of things in other good female lead characters. Ripley in Aliens with Newt is great in Aliens. She has a mothering instinct for Newt but it doesn't change her ability to be strong and capable or anything else. but she's not a woman playing a part imitating a man, she's a strong woman.

Terminator and esp. Terminator 2 is the same way with Linda Hamilton. Hunger games the same way. She's passionate about her family and protective in a feminine way versus masculine, and it's a great role b/c of it. It's true.

both a mother and father will protect their children, but with a very different feel. Just taking a movie and recasting to women is insulting and frankly not good writing for either a film or for female roles.

In the MCU Scarlett Witch is a much better character than Captain Marvel. she's actually as strong or stronger, a fact Marvel writers have missed, but he's a complete person, with conflicts and struggles and emotions.

can you tell it's late and I've been coding all day?

BTW I'm watching John wick while I work, and I'm very curious to see Wick 3 and how Halle berry does in that movie. She wanted to be in that franchise, and pursued a role for it, and got one. I think she'll be good in it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Oh, I"m ranting re Brie Larson, but I also think Carrie Fisher should haunt her house and let her know that Princess Leia was a classic strong female hero role. The great twist in Star Wars was that it starts with the "go save the princess" and as soon as they meet her turns to the "let me get these guys out of this". It's great writing, and even with the metal bikini in Jedi she's still strong and capable and brilliant, strangling Jabba among other things in that same outfit.

Then there's Kill Bill, and the grandmother of all of the action and Scifi female heroes, Pam Grier as Foxy Brown.

Lots of good female characters out there, and I'm all for more. Just stop trying to write them for the sake of politics and write them b/c they are great characters. write them with the thoughts and feelings and strengths and weaknesses of a real person and they'll do well. Write them for political points and you'll struggle, regardless of sex of the character.

Oh, and who has seen Endgame? I get the feeling I'm about the only MCU fan on here.

Looking forward to Wick 3 as well. A great series.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'll sound sexist too, but IMO it's very sexist. They take movies written for male roles and just re-cast them. Not exactly stepping back to look at how to approach it for women.
    Its because Hollywood is Lazy. Remaking good movies, or making an amalgamation of several good movies is another tactic. Yesterday I watched "Deep Rising" which is "Alien" morphed with "The Poseidon Adventure". The third lazy technique is the sequel. How many "Batman"movies do we need. Did we really need Caddyshack 2? What is next...Titanic 2? How about write a good original script for each and every movie? What a crazy idea...
    Last edited by Doc; 05-13-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 2

After watching season 1, I was disappointed with the second season. After about 3 episodes, I lost interest
    They spent a long time at that camp. Too long. But I still enjoyed the season, even though it was not as good as season 1.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 05-13-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Oh, and who has seen Endgame? I get the feeling I'm about the only MCU fan on here.

Looking forward to Wick 3 as well. A great series.
    I haven't seen Endgame yet but will soon. Honestly, I disliked Age of Ultron so much and thought Infinity War was not very good, either. When you throw Captain Marvel (agree 100% on your rant, BTW) in there they've squandered a lot of their Avengers goodwill with me. So they'll still get my money, just not right away. I'll be part of the 3rd billion they make on the movie.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 05-13-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

FWIW I had no intention of watching Anne Hathaway's version, at least not before I'd seen the reviews.

OK, saw the reviews and, sure enough, it sucked.

BTW I'm watching John wick while I work, and I'm very curious to see Wick 3 and how Halle berry does in that movie. She wanted to be in that franchise, and pursued a role for it, and got one. I think she'll be good in it.

Sarah and I will be hitting the theater for this one. Keanu is pretty dedicated to the quality of his work.

Halle Berry will be in a remake of Jagged Edge originally done by Jeff Bridges and Glenn Close which was fairly decent. Production will be a bit down the road.

I haven't seen Endgame yet but will soon. Honestly, I disliked Age of Ultron so much and thought Infinity War was not very good, either. When you throw Captain Marvel (agree 100% on your rant, BTW) in there they've squandered a lot of their Avengers goodwill with me. So they'll still get my money, just not right away. I'll be part of the 3rd billion they make on the movie.
    I was OK with Infinity War, but Ultron was weaker, and yes Captain Marvel is a turn off for me b/c of how they're handling the character, and the fact that Larson is just unlikable.

I've held my nose a bit on the politics of some of the other cast, but she's really far more vocal about it than them, and it gets old to be preached at when I just want entertainment.

But I liked Endgame. Wasn't perfect, but it did try to tie things up ,and did a pretty good job. Some things we'd all do different with it, but overall it was good IMO.

Not sure where they go from here though. I think they are making a mistake to try to evolve onto other characters in that they lose some of that connection. Kind of like Walking Dead killing off key characters. That sounds good in theory, but it tends to hurt your viewership with at least the US audience. The Brits never run shows for long, but Americans will watch for decades.

Sarah and I will be hitting the theater for this one. Keanu is pretty dedicated to the quality of his work.
    He does intense training for the Wick series, and most of his stunt work. Makes for a good movie.

The only thing that kinda bugged me technically is his choice of a Benelli shotgun in Wick 2, versus some other tactical options that are specifically designed for faster reload. There are options like the Saiga AK shotgun, but also guns with rotating tube mags, the Spas 12, etc. For that kind of work I'd want a shotgun with a mag feed, not a tube fed setup you have to load each round.

He does also seem to not keep great track of his round counts, but maybe that's realistic in that situation. I don't know, I'm not a global assassin.

BTW the whole John Wick series comes in 4K video which is breathtaking. (not all 4K video quality is created equal)

Oh, and BTW Ian McShane will be in 3. Can't wait for the Deadwood movie May 31st.

Remember Stranger Things? It will be back July 4th on Netflix. I hope it continues to be as good as before.

Last 3 on Netflix:

--Wine Country: Chick flick with Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch and others. Friends go to Napa to celebrate one of their group's 50th. Comedy ensues. Kind of "Sideways" meets "Bridesmaids" meets "The Big Chill". Cute movie that amused Mrs. BEvans and kept my interest marginally while I read KSR on my phone.

--Perfect Bid: A documentary about a guy who's had a lifelong obsession with The Price Is Right and how he won (and helped others win) on the show. Interesting and funny.

--The Trip to Spain: Two buddies (actors Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon) travel around Spain eating and seeing stuff.

The TV show Yellowstone will be starting its second season on June 19th. What I found out in addition to that is Kevin Costner is apparently having health issues so he's selective so far as to what projects he'll be taking going forward. He's one of my favorite actors. Oh, and Kelly Reilly will be back as well on Yellowstone.

Disney now has full control of Hulu. I very rarely watch anything Hulu.

Disney now has full control of Hulu. I very rarely watch anything Hulu.
    disney has control over everything. Seriously, what media don't they own at this point? Fox, ESPN, ABC, Pixar. Once they buy up facebook and google they'll own it all.

I've never watched Game of Thrones but from what I'm reading on social media this morning it was not a great last season or great finale.

Reminds me of when I watched How I Met Your Mother for years, with the show really declining in its last 2 seasons, but I hung in until the finale because I'd invested that much time in it. And the finale really, really sucked.

I've never watched Game of Thrones but from what I'm reading on social media this morning it was not a great last season or great finale.

Reminds me of when I watched How I Met Your Mother for years, with the show really declining in its last 2 seasons, but I hung in until the finale because I'd invested that much time in it. And the finale really, really sucked.
    That was a show I didn't watch until it was over, and loaded the entire series to DroidTV. Then would watch it in binges. I knew what was coming, and still stuck it out, as you did, even though I experienced the same.

I'm not a huge Big Bang Theory fan, but I'm closer to watching it contemporaneously, although I DroidTV it as well. I did not realize the show was ending, and the last show(s)--it loaded to my phone as one 41 minute episode, so I don't know if the finale was a 60 minute show, or if they combined two 30-minute shows--was really interesting. During the show it had that "we're wrapping up everything" kind of feel to it, so it wasn't a shock, and when the acoustic version of the Big Bang Theory theme song played slowly at the end, it removed all doubt, if there was any. I read a little about it afterward, and learned that they had a slight nod to the ending on "Young Sheldon," a show I have watched, and it's ok for a 20 minute diversion, but that's about it. Anyway, I downloaded the episode and watched it, and it was a little melancholy, but thought it was kinda cool they tied those together like that, too.

On the whole, I'd give the finale a "B" for The Big Bang Theory, which, as finales go, isn't bad. Kinda felt like they should've done something with Rajesh besides the silly little meeting-on-the-airplane, bringing-a-date-to-the-Nobel story line they did, but ok. Some were not happy about "Penny's surprise," given that she had expressed a desire otherwise, but I was fine with it.

^I thought it was a fine ending--a B, as you graded it. It gave the fans most of what they wanted.

I was OK with Penny's ending because they'd taken her to a place the last couple of seasons where she was just bitter and snarky, taking shots at Leonard most of the time. She didn't seem happy, and that made me sad. I was glad they found a way for her to be happy, even if it was a little engineered. No, she'd decided a while back she didn't want kids, but once the decision was kind of made for her, she seemed excited about it and I was glad to see that.

And I just spent way more time analyzing one part of a sitcom than it probably deserved. Oh, well. I was a faithful fan for all 12 seasons--the last network show I was watching.

The bar was pretty high and they definitely fell short at the end but overall the series was pretty close to being the most watched of all time. Months from now I might start watching it all over again.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 91% on the TOMATOMETER

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

@ABC: Last week, a fan petition drew almost a million signatures to get HBO to redo the final season of "Game of Thrones."

Fans have even more questions and concerns after the final episode aired Sunday night. https://abcn.ws/2HDCSDt https://twitter.com/ABC/status/11306...971456/photo/1

Blacklist on the other hand had a tremendous season and a great finale. One of the best shows I have ever watched, if not THE best.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

After HBO spent something like 10 years over 8 seasons building an intricate story line intertwined with 15-20 characters, the final season and finale never really had a chance of having a finale that matched the quality of series.

The writers could have gone for “everyone lived happily ever after”. They did kind of go for “good prevailed over evil”.

Over the course of the series plenty of good guys died along side bad guys. Killing off central characters is what keeps shows from becoming predictable, and keeping it interesting.

I will say the GOT writers ended it with the very real possibility of a comeback. I’m not predicting they will, but they could comeback without losing credibility in their story line.

IMO the writing, and cast of characters was right up there with The Sopranos, and Deadwood. GOT’s production, special effects, etc. IMO was hands down best ever.

As far as finales, has there ever been one that everybody said it was as good as the series deserved? GOT, while giving some finality to most of the central characters, there are a bunch of question on what happened to the rest of the people that had reoccurring roles in the seven kingdoms, leaving the door ajar.... but what a tough act to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire