Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Anybody been watching the new AMC series, NOS4A2?

I watched E1, and not I’m sure what the heck is going on yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 06-10-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

A young Victoria "Vic" McQueen discovers she has the power to unlock portals that help her find lost objects. As she delves further into this hidden universe, she encounters many other "inscape travelers" - some benevolent, and some who have been corrupted by their power. When Vic encounters Charlie Manx, an immortal who stays that way by feeding off of the souls of children, she makes a sworn enemy of Manx.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    A young Victoria "Vic" McQueen discovers she has the power to unlock portals that help her find lost objects. As she delves further into this hidden universe, she encounters many other "inscape travelers" - some benevolent, and some who have been corrupted by their power. When Vic encounters Charlie Manx, an immortal who stays that way by feeding off of the souls of children, she makes a sworn enemy of Manx.
    E2 started clearing up what’s going on... it’s one of those shows that requires 2-3 episodes to set it up.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

This past weekend we got about nine feet of rain. During the deluge I stumbled over an HBO series, Sharp Objects, which was a suspense drama with Amy Adams.

I ended up watching all eight episodes, pretty good, with a “don’t miss” ending.

In her quest to watch TV shows from everywhere except the USA, Mrs. BEvans has found "Nothing Trivial" on Amazon Prime. It's a New Zealand comedy/drama (mostly comedy, little bit of drama) centered around the lives of 5 people who meet at a pub for trivia once/week. It reminds me of "Friends" a little bit, also a little bit like "Ed," if you remember that show from way back.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Yellowstone season 2 starts one week from tonight.

^I have to check out season 1. Hope it's on On Demand.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

You can rent it on Amazon Prime. It doesn't appear Paramount will run season 1 prior to the new season which I don't understand at all. I'll keep looking...

EDIT: You can BUY Yellowstone season 1 on Amazon for 24.99
    Last edited by badrose; 06-12-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Go online to watch Yellowstone season 1 here: Paramountnetworks.com

^^^the info above came from last season. I'll keep looking...

You can buy the first season on Vudu for 24.99

It's On Demand on Dish.

Just a reminder, Yellowstone season 2 starts tomorrow.

I’ve got Direct TV, and Yellowstone S1 is available on demand. I watched the last three episodes last night to remind me where it left off, in anticipation of S2.

Just watched Rocky for the first time in forever. You forget just how good some movies are and this one was right up there. Stallone wrote the script.

Budget:$960,000 (estimated)

Gross USA: $117,235,247

Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $225,000,000

Just watched Rocky for the first time in forever. You forget just how good some movies are and this one was right up there. Stallone wrote the script.

Pretty dang good return on investment, I'd say.

Boxofficemojo says that inflation adjusted that's about $455 million, making it the #85 all time grossing film in US boxoffice, in inflation adjusted dollars.

FYI Gone with the Wind is still #1 and it's not even close, with an inflation adjusted box office of over $1.82 BILLION, just US box office. Given the US population in 1939 I assume every man, woman and child in the country saw the movie at least once to get that kind of number. lol
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The best thing that happened to Rocky was the relatively low budget. A more polished production might have removed a lot of the grit you see in those street shots, shots of his apartment, etc. It's like the difference between the original Terminator and Terminator 2. Both good movies, but the sequel feels different.

I remember watching a documentary on the making of the movie. There's a scene toward the end where Rocky is talking to Adrian the night before the fight about how he just wants to go the distance. Stallone thought it was really important, but the studio wanted to not film it because of cost overruns (cost overruns on a $960,000 budget!). Stallone was given 1 take, and he knew he had to nail it. Whenever I see it (and it is a great, and important, scene), I think about that and the pressure he must've felt to get it right.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.

The first three Rocky films were good but after that it went downhill IMO. He did that with a few of his creations.

The first three Rocky films were good but after that it went downhill IMO. He did that with a few of his creations.
    Thank goodness he didn't lessen "Stop or my Mom Will Shoot" with a sequel. It would never have lived up to the original.

BEvans so nailed it. The movie, due to budget, had a gritty "street" feel to it that exactly matched the story. Do that film with lavish location shoots and award winning lighting and cinematography and you lose the impact of it. It was shot exactly the right way for the story.

And that's also a credit to Stallone. Sure he couldn't do things b/c of budget, but for just under $1 million he told a full, rich story and played it perfectly. As a slow talking action hero with his share of cheesy parts he gets chided, but Rocky shows real talent in both the story and the acting.

He'd done a good job in Lords of Flatbush, and had a leading role in Death Race 2000 but that movie was a total cult cheese fest (which I love btw), so to find a way to get that film backed and made and turn him into a global star is to his credit. He was going to be "Mafia Henchman #2" in a lot of films had he not found a way to break out from that stereotype.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

BTW Amazon Prime's Absentia Season 2 is underway and it's pretty doggone good.

Also to add it was brilliantly cast. They couldn't afford anyone established other than Burgess Meredith, who was a tremendous actor, and it vaulted all the main roles into another level.

^Between 72-76 Talia Shire did Godfather, Godfather 2, Rich Man Poor Man (a miniseries sensation at the time) and Rocky. Pretty good run.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^Between 72-76 Talia Shire did Godfather, Godfather 2, Rich Man Poor Man (a miniseries sensation at the time) and Rocky. Pretty good run.
    great run. I had in my head she did Rocky first but she did the Godfather movies first.

I'm actually surprised they could afford her and Burgess Merideth and still come in under $1m for the film. That must have been one thin craft service table. lol.

PSA:

The Paramount channel will be airing Rocky 6/23/19 at 12:00 am est.

Set your DVRs

"Ain't gonna be no rematch"

"Don't want one"

Stranger Things will be back July 4th. The first two seasons were great so I'm looking forward to it. It's on Netflix so if you have seen the first two, you can catch up fairly quickly.
    Last edited by badrose; 06-29-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee will be back July 19th.

There's a documentary about Lynyrd Skinyrd on Showtime. If I leave Here Tomorrow....

There's a good Tom Petty documentary (Tom Petty: Running Down A Dream) on Amazon Prime. Good perspective on his career and the band's growth from Gainesville.

Only downside: reading a Petty biography by Warren Zanes, Petty had editorial control and directed no mention be made of a heroin addiction Petty had in the 90s. Makes me wonder what else might've been shaded in the documentary. But I still enjoyed it.