Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

I'm going to try Perfect Harmony on NBC. Bradley Whitford is a former Princeton professor who moves to Kentucky and becomes a choir director at a local church. We'll see how long I can take what I'm afraid will be typical anti-south stereotypes.

Prodigal Son on Fox also interests me because of the premise (NYPD officer/estranged son of serial killer uses serial killer's knowledge and instincts to solve murders) and Michael Sheen's in it.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-30-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I'm going to try Perfect Harmony on NBC. Bradley Whitford is a former Princeton professor who moves to Kentucky and becomes a choir director at a local church. We'll see how long I can take what I'm afraid will be typical anti-south stereotypes.

Prodigal Son on Fox also interests me because of the premise (NYPD officer/estranged son of serial killer uses serial killer's knowledge and instincts to solve murders) and Michael Sheen's in it.
    Watched the first episode of Perfect Harmony last night. It was OK. Remind me a little bit of Hart of Dixie. Not so much the stereotypes, but sort of campy. Probably will watch it one more time and then make a decision if I want to continue or not.

Also, I downloaded Prodigal Son to watch yet as well, but didn't get around to it yet. I watched Evil, which was pretty good.

I think I have about a hundred shows downloaded to my phone right now that I intend to watch it some point. And more than that on my virtual DVR. I'll never catch up, but it is kind of handy if I ever get in a situation where I'm just bored to tears, have no internet connection, etc.

Watched the first episode of Prodigal Son along with a couple more of Pennyworth.

Prodigal Son shows potential, hard to tell with the first episode as they’re setting it up.

Pennyworth is “worth” watching. It’s about Alfred’s younger years and how he first gets involved with the Wayne family. (Batman’s family).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Watched Prodigal Son tonight. Pretty good, and I'm guessing it will get better.

Rupp's Runt

Just watched Triple Frontier on Netflix. Did not care for it. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Clint Eastwood is coming out with a movie about Richard Jewell, the guard who was falsely accused of planting a bomb at the Atlanta Olympics.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...1_20191006_9_2
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Speaking of Clint, I noticed "Hang 'Em High" is on Amazon Prime and I watched it for like the 20th time this weekend. I've always thought it was a fun watch, even if it feels a little more like a TV movie than a big-screen feature.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

^^^The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly^^^ is the best of his western efforts. I liked his Dirty Harry movies as well.

Just finished Ken Burns' Country Music series last night, and wow, was it good. He didn't really cover anything after Johnny Cash's death in 2003, and it felt like he zipped through the period from Garth Brooks to 2003. I'd be up for him doing an extra episode updating the last 25 years the way he did his Baseball documentary series. But it was really good, and I was very glad to see him give a good bit of it to the Bluegrass and mountain music my Dad loved, as well as Kentuckians' influence on country music.

Rupp's Runt

Just finished Ken Burns' Country Music series last night, and wow, was it good. He didn't really cover anything after Johnny Cash's death in 2003, and it felt like he zipped through the period from Garth Brooks to 2003. I'd be up for him doing an extra episode updating the last 25 years the way he did his Baseball documentary series. But it was really good, and I was very glad to see him give a good bit of it to the Bluegrass and mountain music my Dad loved, as well as Kentuckians' influence on country music.
    Not watched it, probably won't. Not my kind of thing. But my brother has watched it. Did you see the part about Guy Drake and the song Welfare Cadillac? Guy is from my small community and that song is about the house my best friend grew up in.

Speaking of Clint, I noticed "Hang 'Em High" is on Amazon Prime and I watched it for like the 20th time this weekend. I've always thought it was a fun watch, even if it feels a little more like a TV movie than a big-screen feature.
    Good movie, mostly I like it b/c it has Alan Hale Jr. in it, "Skipper" from Gilligan's Island, one of my favorite childhood shows. Also the plot working around Judge Parker, "The Hanging Judge". It took a fair amount of liberty with him, but there were some threads of truth in it. He did hang a lot of people, and condemned others who were granted retrials or clemency of some kind, but he also publicly said he opposed the death penalty but was following the letter of the law.

he was also the most overworked judge maybe ever. I knew it was a huge load b/c of the vast Indian Territory and that it was chocked full of bad guys, just looked it up to get the numbers. he tried 13,490 cases in 21 years, or 642 cases a year. Said he held court 6 days a week so that's about 2 cases a day average, all year long.

Anyway, I do like how that is woven into the story.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    ^^^The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly^^^ is the best of his western efforts. I liked his Dirty Harry movies as well.
    The Spaghetti westerns changed the genre forever. Give Sergio Leone credit.

I actually like Fistful of Dollars a little better in places, but all of them are good movies. They drag a little here and there as the artier Italian films tend to do IMO, but still great.

Eastwood used that style so much thereafter, and I like those too, from High Plains Drifter to Pale Rider. He went to the "man with no name" well a lot.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Watching Major League on network television. Thought it would be over about an hour ago. Man, these commercials...

I'll be tempted to go see this one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006...2?ref_=nv_sr_2

El Camino: a Breaking Bad movie is now out on Netflix. I will be watching that today
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Anybody watch HBO’s, The Righteous Gemstones?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Righteous_Gemstones

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I was sick over the weekend and laid in bed and watched a block of The Office on Comedy Central. I'd forgotten how funny it was. These were the episodes with Robert California (James Spader) and no Michael Scott, so not considered very good at the time. But like I said, I was amused (or maybe it was the Nyquil, one or the other). I think I'm going to jump back in and watch it again.

Treadstone a made for TV series spinoff from the Bourne/Ludlum movies is on USA channel starting tonight... looks like it “might”be good.

I still laugh at some of the stuff from The Office, like when Michael insisted on following the navigator and drove into the pond lol. Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I still laugh at some of the stuff from The Office, like when Michael insisted on following the navigator and drove into the pond lol. Gold!
    "THE MACHINE KNOWS!!!!!!!"

I remember first starting to watch the Office. I thought it was so stupid.

For about 10 minutes. Then started laughing out loud until the show ended.

If you caught The Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin on Netflix, Season 2 premieres Friday. Definitely a good watch.

And if you're into genealogy, PBS is currently running a new season of Finding Your Roots.

Just watched Horrible Bosses last night for the first time. Pretty funny in spots but overall I’d give it a Meh.

Treadstone, so far so good. Tuesday’s 10:00 est on USA.

Just finished watching "Blown Away" on Netflix. Short of a cross between "Forged in Fire" and "Ink Masters" but with Glass blowers. Sounds dumb but was actually watchable.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    El Camino: a Breaking Bad movie is now out on Netflix. I will be watching that today
    Tried to watch it but got confused because forgot about several things that happen at the end of Breaking Bad. Had to go back and watch the last season to "refresh" my memory. I found it disappointing based on expectations. Nowhere near as intriguing as the series or even Better Call Saul.

On vacation at the beach last week and the weather wasn't especially cooperative, so Mrs. BEvans and I watched some stuff via our Fire Stick we brought with us from home.

--Kominsky Method: as stated above, a very underrated and funny show that says a lot to those of us of a certain age;

--Poldark: This season, which was its last, was fine but they left some plot points out there as if there was going to be a Season 6, which there won't be. That felt a little odd;

--The Great British Baking Show: Mrs. BEvans loves to watch it. Me, hearing people speaking in soothing British accents about something I'm not interested in is a great way for me to go to sleep, so it was great to nap to.

We also brought with us Bohemian Rhapsody on DVD, which neither of us had seen yet. I thought it was fine but it didn't knock my socks off. I didn't like that they played with the timeline on his AIDS announcement to the other band members, which made me wonder how much more artistic license they took with the facts. But it was well-acted and the music was good.

Just finished THE DEVIL NEXT DOOR. New documentary on Netflix about John Demjanjak who was accused of being Ivan the Terrible who ran the gas chamber at Treblinka concentration camp. For those legal minded, I would recommend it

I love November and February on TCM--they bring out the big guns. Here's today's schedule, for example:

TCM.jpg