Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Last night on Prime I watched Brittany Runs A Marathon, about a person who's in a bad place due to a variety of bad life choices and she decides to, well, run a marathon. In the process she learns a lot about herself. Inspirational movie for the New Year.
    That sounds interesting.

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Saw this question on Twitter: What's your "Really? You haven't seen it?" movie?

For me, it's ET. Everybody was telling me I had to see it, so I dug my heels in out of stubbornness. Now that I've gone this long, I plan on seeing it through. (Dumb, right?)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Saw this question on Twitter: What's your "Really? You haven't seen it?" movie?

For me, it's ET. Everybody was telling me I had to see it, so I dug my heels in out of stubbornness. Now that I've gone this long, I plan on seeing it through. (Dumb, right?)
    Really?
    changing my signature to change our luck.

^Yes...really.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Really? You haven't seen it?" Movie?

Ok, I'll play...

Any of the Godfather movies
    Chinatown
    Lord of the Rings
    Any Mad Max movie

I'm sure I have a ton more that most people have seen, but those are off the top of my head.

Since it's Oscar nomination week, here's a Twitter thread noting actors/actresses who've never won an Oscar. Some big names (Rita Hayworth, Peter O'Toole, Cary Grant, Claude Rains, etc.):

https://twitter.com/biscuitkitten/st...64078523330560

John Cazale's an interesting case. He died young from cancer, but you look at the movies he was in: Godfather, Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon, The Conversation, Deer Hunter. And he was amazing in all of them--not 1 nomination.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-14-2020 at 08:17 AM.

I just started watching the Homeland series on Showtime... so far half way through season 1, it’s really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Season 2, didn’t see any of this coming. Brody is a POS!

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Just watch Band of Brothers, was really good.
    Is there other seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Just watch Band of Brothers, was really good.
    Is there other seasons?
    I have got to watch that. Have heard everybody say how good it is.

Band of Brothers is exceptional. There's just the one mini-series of it. I usually watch it every year around Memorial Day.

If you're looking for another good war-based mini-series, I strongly recommend The Pacific. It's not much like Band of Brothers--it follows different Marines assigned to different units in the Pacific theater. It's roughly based on 2 war memoirs, "With The Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and "Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie, as well as the bio of Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone. The violence is also more graphic, IMHO, but that's pretty realistic with the type of battles that happened there. It's really well done.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-21-2020 at 09:53 AM.

It was so good I watched all 10 in two days and wanted more.
    Really enjoyed hearing about their lives after and what they did.

Damian Lewis who plays Major Winters in BoB’s also plays Brody in Homeland.

Polar opposite roles. I just started season 3 of Homeland, and so far Brody is still a bad guy.

Netflix is a great friend of mine and the wife’s!
    Just watched two season of Good Girls, not bad.
    Started the Messiah last night, first episode was interesting so will precede.

Apocalypse Now

I just got a 4K version of the movie I saw about 20 years ago. I'd forgotten the quality of the cast. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 A who's who of actors we're all familiar with. If you've seen it, you might want to see it again. Hard to say which is better, this or Full Metal Jacket.

Too bad it's a remembrance of a war that probably we should not have been involved in
    Last edited by badrose; 01-25-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I just watched "The War" documentary by Ken Burns on Netfllix. It was a tremendous seven part series and left a huge impact on me.
    Even though I have always held a keen, yet modestly studied, interest in WW2 history.

If you have not watched I seriously suggest it. Even the most educated historians will gain something from it.
    I like a good war movie but none can compare to the real thing.

Not for the squeamish either, as there are real candid shots of the horror of American and the other well known casualties of "The War". And no matter who watches, you will shed a tear or two, as our nation as a whole refused to fall to her knees despite given every reason to. We are only a super power now, because of it.
    Neither Russia, nor Great Britain would exist as they are today except for our ability to first feed and supply the war in Europe and then fight it against two major powers on different parts of the Globe.

"The War, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns. The series explores the most intimate human dimensions of the greatest cataclysm in history — a worldwide catastrophe that touched the lives of every family on every street in every town in America — and demonstrates that in extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives.

The film honors the bravery, endurance, and sacrifice of the generation of Americans who lived through what will always be known simply as The War"
    Last edited by kingcat; 01-25-2020 at 01:49 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Homeland, season three finale was a doozy.

Hard tell’n where season four picks up.

I just watched "Dragged Across Concrete" on DVD. As the title implies, it's a dark, gritty story of 2 cops (Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn) who get themselves in a bad situation and try to get out of it by robbing some bad guys. It's one of those movies I'm glad I watched but I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Band of Brothers
    Apocalypse Now
    The Pacific
    The War

All shows I have never seen that I want to see. Maybe this summer.

I just watched "Dragged Across Concrete" on DVD. As the title implies, it's a dark, gritty story of 2 cops (Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn) who get themselves in a bad situation and try to get out of it by robbing some bad guys. It's one of those movies I'm glad I watched but I wouldn't want to watch it again.
    Why wouldn't you want to watch it again? Too much?

Is there any other movie or show that you can compare it to that I may have seen (in the sense of why you might not want to see it again?)

Some I've seen, maybe, in that vein?

Platoon?
    Road to Perdition?
    Saving Private Ryan?
    Some Criminal Minds episodes?

Am I close? I haven't seen nearly as many movies as the average person, so my comparisons are limited.

^Yes, too much. Everything is dark and bleak and the way it's resolved is even darker and bleaker.

In a way I guess I'd compare it to "Requiem For A Dream," even though that movie's not a crime thriller--it's about how drug addiction ravages the lives of the main characters. Excellent movie, wouldn't ever want to watch it again.

^Yes, too much. Everything is dark and bleak and the way it's resolved is even darker and bleaker.

In a way I guess I'd compare it to "Requiem For A Dream," even though that movie's not a crime thriller--it's about how drug addiction ravages the lives of the main characters. Excellent movie, wouldn't ever want to watch it again.
    I agree. Well done, but once is definitely enough.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Saw that Gene Hackman is 90 today. He's one of those guys who's looked 50 for his entire career. Had no idea he was that old, though.

According to IMDB, his last film was in 2004 when he was "only" 74. Makes me wonder why actors stop when they stop. Some will work as long as they can keep getting work, others stop before that. I guess it's like us regular folks in that way.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-30-2020 at 08:04 AM.

I'm hoping at some age we decide to stop and start just having sex all the time.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

The stopping part always happens!

Clint Eastwood is up in his 80’s and doesn’t seem to be stopping.
    He is the last of the great western stars to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I'm hoping at some age we decide to stop and start just having sex all the time.
    I'll do my best. send over the 20 something models.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

This isn't film, but youtube, but I hugely enthusiastically endorse channels hosted by Simon Whistler.

My favorite is "Today I found out", great 10-20 minute stories on all kinds of interesting topics. Another great one is "Biographics", 20ish minute biographies of historical figures. He does one called "Geographics" about historical places but typically about the thing that made them famous or important.

He has one called "Business Blaze" I don't like as much. Lighter, about business stories, which I like, but a little more loose than the others.

Yeah, he's stupid busy, but a great narrator. English btw, but he has a ton of American viewers so he bridges that nicely.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Watched Red Sparrow last night and was pleasantly surprised. Realistic spy thriller with a great cast.

Definitely not for kids though.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'll do my best. send over the 20 something models.
    Unless you mean my new Weedeater we're both out of luck.