Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

99% of my "TV" watching is with my DroidTV app. I can cast it from my phone to TV, but I generally just watch it on my phone. It's great--you download the programs you want to watch, can put some on a "virtual DVR," etc., but there is no buffering (since they are downloaded to your phone already when you watch) and no commercials.

Anyway, yesterday was a great example of why I have it there. I was on my way back from Huntsville in the middle of nowhere and a massive thunderstorm, blinding rain hit where you couldn't see 20 feet ahead of you. I pulled off (fortunately an exist was immediately ahead) into a vacant parking lot. And sat and watched a TV show on my phone until it passed.

Anyway, I've been picking up some older shows during the summer. One of my favorite shows is Blacklist (previously discussed), and I love James Spader. Well, I found out that he starred in the show "Boston Legal." You guys have to remember--for many years, I didn't watch television. I mean, except for sporting events or something, I just didn't watch TV shows or series. So I missed out on a bunch of things like it. Anyway, I started watching it.

Now somebody told me today that Boston Legal is a spinoff of another show, "The Practice," which also had James Spader in it. I have many years worth of episodes now to watch that I will enjoy!

Related note--I started binge watching "The Good Wife" about a month ago, and took me about a month to get through all of the episodes. When they killed off a main character, the show jumped the shark for me. I almost didn't watch the last two years, but I struggled through anyway. I understand there's a spinoff of that one called "The Good Fight" with Christine Baranski in it, and I enjoy her acting, so I'll probably pick that up next.

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Don't know if you've had a chance to see "History of the Eagles"--if not, it's definitely worth a watch. An excellent documentary told by the band members themselves--heavy on Frey and Henley's recollection, but also the others. It's been on the various streaming services over the years, but not sure if it's on streaming now.
    Thanks, I’ll look for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

40th anniversary of Caddyshack today--and I suddenly feel very old.

https://twitter.com/OldSchool80s/sta...18532031561728
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Cloris Leachman is 96 years old and has 4 movies/TV in production. Amazing!
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Mrs. BEvans and I just finished watching "World Without End," a miniseries based on the Ken Follett book set in medieval England. (If it's an English period piece, there's a good chance Mrs. BEvans is in, which means I'm in, even if I'm reading KSR while watching).

Anyway, there's a sub-plot about the Bubonic Plague coming to the English town. The nuns/nurses protect themselves by wearing masks. Many in the town scoffed at the idea and refused to wear them. Most of them got it, and most of those who got it died.

I have no idea whether mask-wearing was actually effective against the Plague, but we both looked at each other when the mask-wearing was mentioned, in light of current events.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Mrs. BEvans and I just finished watching "World Without End," a miniseries based on the Ken Follett book set in medieval England. (If it's an English period piece, there's a good chance Mrs. BEvans is in, which means I'm in, even if I'm reading KSR while watching).

Anyway, there's a sub-plot about the Bubonic Plague coming to the English town. The nuns/nurses protect themselves by wearing masks. Many in the town scoffed at the idea and refused to wear them. Most of them got it, and most of those who got it died.

I have no idea whether mask-wearing was actually effective against the Plague, but we both looked at each other when the mask-wearing was mentioned, in light of current events.
    Network?

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Network?

Starz

Starz
    Thanks, found it. I figure I’ll pass it along to Mrs boss

^It's a fun watch. I probably made it sound like I didn't like it, but I did. There's sex, violence, plotting, corruption, war--you know, all the hits.

^It's a fun watch. I probably made it sound like I didn't like it, but I did. There's sex, violence, plotting, corruption, war--you know, all the hits.
    Sex and violence was enough, thanks.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Good Old Guy (and Gal) movie now on Amazon Prime video: RED, with Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Ernest Borgnine, Brian Cox et al.

Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-03-2020 at 08:53 PM.

We just finished Anne with an E. Just a nice (extended) mini series with some fine acting. The girl is a regular Judy Garland/Shirley temple clone. I highly recommend one watches this if they like family type shows. And the Anne of Green Gables story

Watching The Crown currently and digging it too.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Started watching Dark on Netflix, just finished season10 of shameless.
    Dark has started out pretty good.

For those who have a Roku, Barney Miller is now on the Roku Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Started watching Dark on Netflix, just finished season10 of shameless.
    Dark has started out pretty good.
    Ive tried for two months to get finished with the second episode. Something about it fails for me i dont have a clue where its going but somehow the writers manage to put me in an instant state of depression. I dont do well when getting over the hump is grueling.

German shows are like asking for water in Das Restaurant. Something about it I just dont understand.

Instead of get it yourself in the badezimmer, it's go figure the plot out yourself

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Somebody posted a 1080 version of On The Beach on YouTube:

Hadn't seen it in years. When I think of "scary movies," this is what I think of.

Don't know if you've had a chance to see "History of the Eagles"--if not, it's definitely worth a watch. An excellent documentary told by the band members themselves--heavy on Frey and Henley's recollection, but also the others. It's been on the various streaming services over the years, but not sure if it's on streaming now.
    It's a nice piece of work. I think blu-ray has it on disk if you want to watch it occasionally.

Mrs. BEvans and I watched "The Way" over the weekend. A father (Martin Sheen) estranged from his son (Emilio Estevez) decides to walk the Camino de Santiago after his son dies in a storm during his attempt to walk it. He runs into a lot of fellow pilgrims and learns something about himself and his relationship with his son along the way. We really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-31-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Really? You haven't seen it?" Movie?

Ok, I'll play...

Any of the Godfather movies
    Chinatown
    Lord of the Rings
    Any Mad Max movie

I'm sure I have a ton more that most people have seen, but those are off the top of my head.
    Dude...

Any Classic Vinyl music fans here? It's available on SiriusXM online and some cars come with it.
    Last edited by badrose; 08-31-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Dude...
    Yeah, I know.

What kind of TV do you have? UHD or 4K is the most available/affordable on the market but there are some that are even sharper. Visit a best-buy. They're cheaper now than when they first came out. When I first got mine I was more enamored with the picture than the movie I was watching. It's that much better, even with less resolution.
    Last edited by badrose; 08-31-2020 at 06:49 PM.

What kind of TV do you have? UHD or 4K is the most available/affordable on the market but there are some that are even sharper. Visit a best-buy. They're cheaper now than when they first came out. When I first got mine I was more enamored with the picture than the movie I was watching. It's that much better, even with lesser resolution.
    This. Screenshot_20200831-184837.jpg

While I know you're a thrifty guy I know you've got better. Would probably cost more to keep it running. Is that Walter Cronkite on there?

While I know you're a thrifty guy I know you've got better. Would probably cost more to keep it running. Is that Walter Cronkite on there?
    Lol.

OK, MAYBE not that bad.

I don't know any details. Two 46" Roku TVs. One is LG, and the other Philips, I think. I don't think one of them has been turned on in two or three months.

I watch TV on a little 6" phone screen mostly. That's the truth, unless it's a sports broadcast.

Started watching Vicelands Dark Side of the Ring. Great show for those WRASSLIN fans from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Seems more focus on these era's than the 200's and later. Getting ready to watch "Gorgeous Gino" episode. Already watched the Von Erhics, Bruiser Brody, Bret Hart and the Elizabeth episodes. Is not on netflix but is on xfinity on demand and YOUTUBE.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

What kind of TV do you have? UHD or 4K is the most available/affordable on the market but there are some that are even sharper. Visit a best-buy. They're cheaper now than when they first came out. When I first got mine I was more enamored with the picture than the movie I was watching. It's that much better, even with less resolution.
    When we moved into our current house we bought 2 Sony Bravia 46 inch models, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. One is still working great and the other fried in a close lightning strike about 5 years ago. We replaced that one with an LG 50-inch model we got at Walmart.

My favorite is a TCL we got on sale in 2018 and have in our bedroom. It's 4K, UHD and has Roku built in. The thing I like best is you can plug headphones into the remote and listen that way so it doesn't disturb someone who's sleeping.

Rewatching Ken Burns' "Country Music" documentary series. Really, really good. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet. It's on the PBS app and a service called Kanopy that a lot of public libraries use as a free streaming platform for their members.

Just watched Red Oak which I enjoy and finished the first season of Utopia.

I put Lord of the Rings trilogy in the top three of all time, and the #1 of fantasy/adventure film(s).