Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey

Harvey

What a monster.

Re: Harvey

Quickly downgrading now that it's over land, but will still dump a lot of water and wind.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Harvey

Gonna be a real soaker...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

It's that 35 inches of rain that is going to be the problem. I saw one projection that it might be as much as 60 inches.

Most folks who don't understand hurricanes focus on the catagory/wind speed but in most cases that isn't the issue. The problem is the rainfall which is a result of how fast it moves, as in storm speed. If the thing is barely moving like Harvey, it dumps water and keeps dumping water. Thats where your issues are. If the storm doesn't move you can't get to fixing stuff either, ie returning electical service, etc. Personally I'd rather get hit with a cat 3 moving at 30 mph than a cat 1 moving at 5 mph.
    Its also important if you are on the wet side or the dry side. The northeast side is the wet you want the eye to pass to the east of you so you get less rainfall.

Of course TX got the double whammy with a slow moving cat 4.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Yep, this will be about the rain and resulting flooding, as well as the inability to function b/c of the rain. If it sits there and just keeps raining, which is what it looks like it will do, that's where the biggest damage will be done.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Hopefully it will move out before they expect.

Current forward movement is 2 mph. It was forecast to do a U turn and head back to the gulf but now they forecast it to move north, which is a lot better, but picking up speed would be nice as well.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Current forward movement is 2 mph. It was forecast to do a U turn and head back to the gulf but now they forecast it to move north, which is a lot better, but picking up speed would be nice as well.
    Thank heaven for small favors.

Harvey

I rode out Hurricane David in '79. It was unique because it basically came from the south and rode the entire east coast of Fl. It made landfall about 20 miles south of us in between W Palm and Jupiter. I do remember the eye going directly over us which is flat out weird. You think it's over and really it's just half time.

It was a monster but the mountains of Cuba knocked it down from a 4-5 and down to a 2 when we got it.

Anyway I'm not sure what was worse the extended period of sustained winds, the heavy flooding, or the tornados that kicked up out of it.... the storm was rough enough but loss of resources was unbearable. No food, no water, no power.

Ironically some time later I ran away to Ky for a timeout and Hurricane Fredrick came up through the gulf kicked the crap out of Alabama and made its way to the Ohio Vally where heavy rains caused huge problems in both Ky and IN.

If I recall the early '80's was no picnic either with slow moving depressions throwing down buckets of water.

Thoughts and prayers to al those in the path.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

More than 24 inches of rain fell in 24 hours in Houston, the National Weather Service reported Sunday morning.

Harvey

Houston. More rain expected.

The middle picture is from last year, obviously before Harvey.

Harvey

Couple more tweets. Prayers for the millions affected.

Harvey

Current pic of downtown Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Sorry but that is just effin stupid. We see this all the time here with hurricanes or floods. Always some guy with a pick'em up truck who thinks he is all that and a bag of potato chip where he can drive thru anything because, well, he has a pick up truck and he knows how to drive even when the police, rescue and fire dept have all said stay off the roads...usually its because he needs either beer or free water
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I rode out Hurricane David in '79. It was unique because it basically came from the south and rode the entire east coast of Fl. It made landfall about 20 miles south of us in between W Palm and Jupiter. I do remember the eye going directly over us which is flat out weird. You think it's over and really it's just half time.

It was a monster but the mountains of Cuba knocked it down from a 4-5 and down to a 2 when we got it.

Anyway I'm not sure what was worse the extended period of sustained winds, the heavy flooding, or the tornados that kicked up out of it.... the storm was rough enough but loss of resources was unbearable. No food, no water, no power.

Ironically some time later I ran away to Ky for a timeout and Hurricane Fredrick came up through the gulf kicked the crap out of Alabama and made its way to the Ohio Vally where heavy rains caused huge problems in both Ky and IN.

If I recall the early '80's was no picnic either with slow moving depressions throwing down buckets of water.

Thoughts and prayers to al those in the path.

When Francis and Jeanne hit in 2004, they both made landfall at Sewall Point, then over Stuart, then Palm City (that is maybe 7 miles as the crow flies) a month apart. I live in Palm City. We went outside in the eye of one of the two, and there was a weird orange hue to the sky. Reminded me of a scene from the movie "The Final Countdown". The eye is just a really odd weather occurance. Of course was also got out the kite and flew it in the early feeder bands. And for one of the first hurricanes we were here, probably 1994 or 95, we headed to the beach. Was a cat 1 and had never wxperienced a hurricane. I recall getting out of the car and looking for the train because that is how it sounded. When you came over the dune to the beach you were sandblasted. It was amazing!

seeya
    dan

Wow, those images, Dan.

Harvey

Toll road.

Harvey

I just saw a weather report showing multiple models where Harvey is going to move south east back out over the gulf and hook back around to re-impact the Houston area around Wednesday.

Real photo. They have been rescued since this photo.

Harvey

No play book on this one...

Harvey is now gaining energy off of its own rainfall. It's moving so slowly that it's sucking up the energy over the warm water that it has deposited. It's referred to as the "brown ocean effect"

My source is CNN so take it FWIW.

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Some scary stuff from your link, Dan. A couple of excerpts:

Harvey is drifting toward the southeast near 2 mph (4 km/h), and a slow southeastward motion is expected over the next couple of days. On the forecast track, the center of Harvey is forecast to move off the middle Texas coast on Monday and meander just offshore through Monday night.

Harvey is expected to produce additional rainfall accumulations of 15 to 25 inches through Friday over the upper Texas coast and into southwestern Louisiana. Isolated storm totals may reach 50 inches over the upper Texas coast, including the Houston/Galveston metropolitan area.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Houston Mayor defending his decision not to issue a mandatory evac order. Tough call, I think. His point was that it wasn't in the direct path of Harvey, and if it isn't well thought out and planned, putting the city's 2.3 million residents on the streets toward evacuation could be a nightmare. In fact, the Houston/Harris County combination is 6.5 million residents.

That could have been catastrophic on its own.

This may be one of the few Aug-Sep gulf storms that pounded Texas or southwest LA that I have tracked in the last several years that winds up NOT being a rain maker for KY. Most of the time the storm tracks up the Mississippi river and then bends to the east and dumps rain and spanking winds on us.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I don't know what is more funny and sad about that video. That he was so completely stupid to drive into a lake, or that once he got out he swam up to the front and IMO tried to stop it and pull it back.

That's doubling down on stupid.