Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Its that time again..survival game is on! Note the rules changes

Elimination (or Survival) game: Each week you pick ONE SEC team to win. Its that simple. There are no points, no spreads. Just pick the winner. HOWEVER in the following weeks you can not re-use a team. So if you pick FL to win in week 1 then you can not use FL in week 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 etc. If you pick Alabama in week 2 you can not use FL or Bama in weeks 3 or 4 or 5 or 6. Note rule change 1- we will only be playing INTRACONFERENCE GAMES. Thus we wont start until week 3 due to a lack of games. If the team you pick loses then you get a strike. Three strikes and you are out of the game. This game requires you to play from week three (and if you miss a week you get an automatic strike) or take a strike. The last person standing wins. As we get later in the year I might modify the game a bit to get to a single overall winner but fear not, after about 8 weeks it gets hard and by week 10 I don't expect too many to be surviving. We may do a redux midway thru the year if we get lots of folks flunking out early. Rule change 2- since we are skipping weekd 1 and 2, we will be double playing weeks 6, 7 and 11. This also means EVERY TEAM WILL BE USED. If we have more than one person finish with less than 3 strikes we will use the bowls tie breaker as we have in the past.

So now is the time to ask question or suggest game modifications.
    Last edited by Doc; 08-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Its that time again..survival game is on! Note the rules changes

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Elimination (or Survival) game: Each week you pick ONE SEC team to win. Its that simple. There are no points, no spreads. Just pick the winner. HOWEVER in the following weeks you can not re-use a team. So if you pick FL to win in week 1 then you can not use FL in week 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 etc. If you pick Alabama in week 2 you can not use FL or Bama in weeks 3 or 4 or 5 or 6. Note rule change 1- we will only be playing INTRACONFERENCE GAMES. Thus we wont start until week 3 due to a lack of games. If the team you pick loses then you get a strike. Three strikes and you are out of the game. This game requires you to play from week three (and if you miss a week you get an automatic strike) or take a strike. The last person standing wins. As we get later in the year I might modify the game a bit to get to a single overall winner but fear not, after about 8 weeks it gets hard and by week 10 I don't expect too many to be surviving. We may do a redux midway thru the year if we get lots of folks flunking out early. Rule change 2- since we are skipping weekd 1 and 2, we will be double playing weeks 6, 7 and 11. This also means EVERY TEAM WILL BE USED. If we have more than one person finish with less than 3 strikes we will use the bowls tie breaker as we have in the past.

So now is the time to ask question or suggest game modifications.
    Doc,
    This is confusing to me. I understand the SEC only concept, but, if we start week 3, is that week 1 in your e-mail? There are 13 weeks in the season and I assume you are finishing on Week 13 (Thanksgiving Weekend 11/25). Is this correct? Is so, does that mean the double-up weeks of the contest are 8,9 and 13 of the season, (Oct 21, Oct 28 and Nov 25) even though they are weeks 6,7 and 11 of the contest, or are the double-up weeks actually week 6,7 and 11 of the season (Oct 7, Oct 14 and Nov 11)?

We start week 3 (UK vs S. Carolina week).....which is the first week of the game. We will double play weeks 6,7 and 11 ( weeks UK plays MO, off and Vandy). Final week is week UK plays UL but that is not an eligible game (so dont have UK as your last unused team). It comes out to 14 games and there are 14 teams in the SEC. When I said cant use in week 2 or 3 etc I mean the weeks of the game. Basically once you use a team, you can not use it again
    Last edited by Doc; 08-28-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Thanks, Got it.

Just spitballin' here Doc, but how about a way to "buy back" into the game? My suggestion would be that once you get that third strike you can attempt to get one strike erased by picking several right the next week--3 or 4 or all of them or something. If successful you'd have to make an extra pick the next week to catch up with the remaining players. I love the game but once I'm out I always get a little envious of the ones still in the game.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

If you are ready to accept picks, I will take LSU for week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Just spitballin' here Doc, but how about a way to "buy back" into the game? My suggestion would be that once you get that third strike you can attempt to get one strike erased by picking several right the next week--3 or 4 or all of them or something. If successful you'd have to make an extra pick the next week to catch up with the remaining players. I love the game but once I'm out I always get a little envious of the ones still in the game.
    I love the game the way Doc has it. Some survive...some don't

But since we're on the subject, maybe in a future contest we could assign points to each weeks games. One point for week one, two for week two and so on. That would enable folks to stay in the game

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Week 1 of game (week 3 of season)

KY at USC
    LSU at MSST
    TN at FL

CF73 KY
    Dar FL
    Doc LSU
    Flo LSU
    J96 SC
    KC LSU
    MITH KY
    TCF LSU
    Yea LSU
    Last edited by Doc; 09-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.

If you get knocked out on strikes, there is no reason you cant continue to play. You just not title eligible

LSU

Florida, for a change of pace!

Yikes just three games to pick from...What the hay...Kentucky!

LSU

LSU

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

SOUTH CAROLINA

Well at least one of us is about to get a strike! Lol

Fab Five

Kentucky
    Real Fan since 1958

I believe 6 strikes is a record.....

Week two games:

FL @ KY
    AR @ aTm
    AL @ VU
    MSU @ GA
    AU @ MO

CF73 KY, AR
    Dar FL, AU
    Doc LSU, AU
    Flo LSU, AU
    J96 SC
    KC LSU, AU
    MITH KY, AU
    TCF LSU, AU
    Yea LSU, GA
    Last edited by Doc; 09-23-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Week 2: Arkansas.

Georgia

Auburn

Fab Five

Aubie
    Real Fan since 1958

Something to consider now, as we get to the end, you want to be sure you have teams playing in eligible games. For example, don't save UK for the final week as UK vs UL isn't an eligible game. Fortunately there are 5 eligible games the final week (10 teams) but that means 4 team won't and if you have one of those teams as your only unused team, you are screwed. Keep that in mind.

I will say that NOBODY will make it all the way through. Won't happen once you try to get your year planned out. Between the double weeks and having to use every team, its a bitch! Of course that is the challenge.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-20-2017 at 08:06 AM.

I've tried to sit down and plot out everyone's schedule but something always comes up. Gotta quit winging it though obviously.

Was just looking at some schedules and discovered something I'd never really thought about before...that game UF and UGa play in Jacksonville every year counts as an away game for BOTH of them. For some reason I'd always just assumed they took turns with it as a home game but they each have 4 other home games. So they each actually only have 3 true away games on opponents' fields.

Edit....I take it all back. Looks like last year it was a home game for each of them.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 09-20-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Something to consider now, as we get to the end, you want to be sure you have teams playing in eligible games. For example, don't save UK for the final week as UK vs UL isn't an eligible game. Fortunately there are 5 eligible games the final week (10 teams) but that means 4 team won't and if you have one of those teams as your only unused team, you are screwed. Keep that in mind.

I will say that NOBODY will make it all the way through. Won't happen once you try to get your year planned out. Between the double weeks and having to use every team, its a bitch! Of course that is the challenge.
    I haven't planned anything yet. Guess I ought to start looking!

Last couple of years I plotted each and every week. Printed a spreadsheet of the games, made lists where I "knew" a team would win/lose, and used that confidently. I think I've been one of the first out both times. So this year I thought I'd just wing it week by week.

But even winging it, you're right, need to make sure you have eligible teams remaining. I'll take a look soon.

Auburn