Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

SI.com's top athletic directors

Several SEC ADs mentioned. Only 15 media and 10 ADs were asked, so small sample size, but still respected ntetesting

Interesting that Jurich was on the mefia's list but not on the list from other ADs.

http://amp.timeinc.net/si/college-fo...ite?source=dam

Re: SI.com's top athletic directors

Objectively, I think Jurich has to be on the short list of "best" athletic directors in the country.

But if the list is, "Athletic Directors you'd want running your athletic department", that's a slightly different question.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Objectively, I think Jurich has to be on the short list of "best" athletic directors in the country.

But if the list is, "Athletic Directors you'd want running your athletic department", that's a slightly different question.
    Why would those lists be different?
    "Calipariís Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

He is a scumbag
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

Like baker, I don't know if those are two different lists.

Jurich has built winning teams, in multiple sports, and raised a lot of money, and if the goal of college athletics is to win regardless of anything else then I guess he's one of the top guys.

But if the goals of college athletics are to actually promote the colleges positively, help educate kids, etc. and so on, then he's not so good.

If the 2013 banner comes down and such, then even in the wins department he takes a big hit. B/c you have to actually keep the accomplishments, if the NCAA takes them away b/c you cheated that's not a positive.

IMO he's got STRENGTHS people need to learn from, like his ability to fund raise and just get things done politically and otherwise. Unfortunately for UL he's used those strengths in very questionable ways which may lead to issues not just with the NCAA but also even the IRS and FBI.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

He's had unethical advantages unavailable to others, such as the free money flowing from their foundation.
    Don't panic

He's effective at what he does but if you don't like how he does it, it may not be worth extra success to accept his baggage. So you can grudgingly admit his accomplishments, but still not want someone who uses his methods to attain it. In other words, if you think the ends of not justify the means, dtalbersjr's description is accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post

Ethics.
    Compromise: An amiable arrangement between husband and wife whereby they agree to let her have her own way.

While Jurich successes are there, so are his failures. Two coaches that have MAJOR sex scandals, a basketvall progam that could be the first to have a banner removed bexause they hire prostitutes. Plus the Wake Forest playbook scandal..and wasnt there an jssue in one of the womens programs too?

Winning is great but so is your schools reputation. There are several winning athletic programs where the schools reputation is the butt of jokes, UL isnt one of them thus I'd not have him very high

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    He's effective at what he does but if you don't like how he does it, it may not be worth extra success to accept his baggage. So you can grudgingly admit his accomplishments, but still not want someone who uses his methods to attain it. In other words, if you think the ends of not justify the means, dtalbersjr's description is accurate
    IMO it depends on how finely we cut "best" into categories.

No doubt Jurich is one of the very best at certain things. He's raked in the money, built up a number of UL sports, etc. Things we can learn from.

But if we mean "best" in the overall, single list sense, that's where I don't think it's multiple lists, but just Jurich's failings plus his accomplishments giving him a spot somewhere on the list.

For my part I think his failings drag him down. If the banner comes down it wipes out a lot of his positives all by itself.

And he screwed the city on the YUM center deal. Yep, thats a guy I want running my program

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    And he screwed the city on the YUM center deal. Yep, thats a guy I want running my program
    I respect him for it in the sense that he got the best deal for his employer. Of course his employer is a non-profit ostensibly dedicated to improving the quality of life in the city of Louisville through education and example, but since none of his bosses feel that way it's hard to hold him accountable in my view.

But I agree with you of course. What I think is most interesting is how he gathered such power and influence through the city into his hands. He didn't get that deal by just being a shrewd negotiator, UL got that deal by getting CITY officials to put UL ahead of the city as well. They are obviously very good at the political game, probably in part due to their felonious use of slush fund money.

Others have touched on it, but here's the difference for me.

Texas or Florida are two of the most successful and high profile overall athletic departments in the country. Based solely on what he's accomplished as AD at UofL, Jurich would be a logical candidate for either job, and would probably do an incredible job there. But if I was the person making the hire, because of the kind of person he is and the way he's handled certain issues with Pitino, he'd only be an option to if I whiffed on several other targets.

Does that make any sense?

In comparing Jurich to Barnhart I once wrote that was like comparing Dirty Harry to Barney Fife. Also wrote that Jurich would prove to be the Icarus for U of Ls athletics program. I still believe both of those things.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    In comparing Jurich to Barnhart I once wrote that was like comparing Dirty Harry to Barney Fife. Also wrote that Jurich would prove to be the Icarus for U of Ls athletics program. I still believe both of those things.
    I would have Laughed at this had it not be true!
    Real Fan since 1958

Fiddlin' Five

Okay, I just have one question about this list.
    How come MITCH BARNHART isn't on it?

😁 😉 😛 😸 💀👌🐱 🐹 🐵 🐼 🐯 🐻 🌝

Joe Castiglione seems to be the clear top choice for everyone. I haven't really thought about it much, but the comments make sense.

Rupp's Runt

Interesting to note two of those ranked passed through UK
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Interesting to note two of those ranked passed through UK
    The article is interesting on a few levels.

IMO the most interesting part is a) the categories they picked, and b) how the ADs rated them differently in importance.

Most notably, there was no category that seemed to really cover compliance and basic clean administration. I guess it falls somewhat under coach hiring/retention, but I'm surprised it wasn't a category.

I agree with the ADs that "culture" is the most important thing for an AD. A culture of compliance, winning, etc. is the most they can do.

But I think they need some points for "not letting boosters run amok and the NCAA sniffing" stuff too.