Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

1 movie/day (that's not a 3D or Imax movie) at over 4,000 theaters around the country. Apparently it's been around for several years at varying costs and levels of viewing ability. Now it's $9.95/month for 30 movies/month.

I don't see how it can be profitable (this article says they're going to use data they gather from your viewing habits for marketing/advertising), but I signed up and it'll be interesting to see how/if it works.

More info here:

http://lifehacker.com/moviepass-now-...ium=socialflow

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/15/...llars-a-month/

https://www.moviepass.com/sen
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-15-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Please let us know how you like it. I saw that article and was intrigued as well, as a very seldom movie goer.

Bombino

Re: PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    1 movie/day (that's not a 3D or Imax movie) at over 4,000 theaters around the country. Apparently it's been around for several years at varying costs and levels of viewing ability. Now it's $9.95/month for 30 movies/month.

I don't see how it can be profitable (this article says they're going to use data they gather from your viewing habits for marketing/advertising), but I signed up and it'll be interesting to see how/if it works.

More info here:

http://lifehacker.com/moviepass-now-...ium=socialflow

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/15/...llars-a-month/

https://www.moviepass.com/sen
    The data they get guides the movie theaters on how to properly target films, which films to greenlight, etc. They desperately need the data because they know that Americans are not watching movies like they once did. Personally, I feel that Western Cinema is in a rapid decline. The focus on movies for the lowest common denominator across multiple cultures (in pursuit of worldwide $$) has resulted in a product which is poorly made, unadventurous and frankly milktoast. They have become to risk averse. Couple that with the fact that long term story-telling and world-building which is now available with Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc. and movies become an uncompelling product. I just finished watching The Defenders, it was a great series and it was nice to see these other stories that I have followed come together and build. I have loved seeing the various characters show up throughout the series and cross storylines. Luke Cage was excellent, Daredevil was Very Good to Excellent, Jessica Jones was Solid, Iron Fist was freaking horrible. That being said, the rest of them helped redeem the Iron Fist story a lot. This in depth level of story telling and world building really makes for a much more enriching experience as a whole. Somethign you just can't get in short for movies, even in sequels.

Throw in the popcorn, soda, and the extra pass (assumed) that's about $1000 a month.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

So, not an auspicious beginning. I signed up on 8/15 and was told I should expect my card (which is required to use the service) within 5-7 business days. That would be August 22-24.

Yesterday I get an email saying they were blown away by the awesome response (translation: they couldn't handle the throughput) and my card wouldn't arrive until September 6-10, although those who signed up on 8/15 can "expect it sooner," whatever that means. Billing will be adjusted to reflect the late arrival.

Strike one....
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Do they say anything about exempted showings, like opening weekends or anything? Seems like I often see signs about no passes accepted when I go to my favorite cinema, or maybe its just them.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Do they say anything about exempted showings, like opening weekends or anything? Seems like I often see signs about no passes accepted when I go to my favorite cinema, or maybe its just them.
    They say the only shows it doesn't work for are 3D and Imax--any 2D movie is OK, no blackout dates.

And if you look at how their system works, I can see why that's (hopefully) the case. It's not a "pass"--they send you a debit card, you check in through the app when you arrive at the theater, and that enables your debit card to make a ticket purchase. So it's like a prepaid debit card, except it only works when you're at the theater, and only for purchase of 2D movies.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-24-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Per person, I assume...
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Interesting.

Hey, my PSA is down to 2.5. Or are we talking a different PSA??
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I got my card today. So

Cool. Excited to hear about your experience.

My wife's birthday was this week, and I started to get a couple of these passes as birthday gifts. But I waited way too late, so I just abandoned the idea.

BEvans, have you had a chance to use this? How is it working out for you?

Darrell, I've used it twice. Once it was glitchy, but I think that was user error. The 2nd time was smooth, no problem.

Basically, when you create an account with them they mail you a debit card. When you get to the theater (you have to be within 100 yards of it), you check in on the app as being at that theater and select the movie you want to see. When you get an "OK" message on your app, you can then use the debit card to pay for your ticket. We really like it.

Bombino

My girl is still waiting on the card, it has been several months and she hasn't received it.

I haven't run across anyone using it locally. Would love to hear that from someone who is really using it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Darrell, I've used it twice. Once it was glitchy, but I think that was user error. The 2nd time was smooth, no problem.

Basically, when you create an account with them they mail you a debit card. When you get to the theater (you have to be within 100 yards of it), you check in on the app as being at that theater and select the movie you want to see. When you get an "OK" message on your app, you can then use the debit card to pay for your ticket. We really like it.
    Why only twice? I guess I'm cheap. I'd be using it (at least for awhile) as much as I could squeeze in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Why only twice? I guess I'm cheap. I'd be using it (at least for awhile) as much as I could squeeze in.
    We had some family health issues. Right after I got my card my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and she passed on October 1. So we just started using it in the last 3 weeks or so. I didn't want to cancel the account and have to re-start everything again, so I just held onto it.

Oh, I'm sorry. And very sorry to bring up that memory too.

Thanks Darrell, and I struggled with mentioning the reason why because I knew you'd feel bad for bringing it up, and I didn't want to put you on the spot. Even though we miss her, she was sick with related illnesses for years and we're happy she's in a place where she knows no pain.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 11-13-2017 at 01:52 PM.

I'm glad she is no longer ill. Feel the same way about my Mom. God bless you all.

Now a deal for $6.95 a month if you pay a year in advance.

https://lifehacker.com/moviepass-dro...-ti-1820550734

Just bought 3 of them from Costco, $89.95 each for a year's subscription. Getting two for "my wife" and my son asked me if I bought one to get one for him.

Does your wife know about “your wife”?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Does your wife know about “your wife”?
    Lol. What she doesn't know won't hurt her, right?

That does read funny. It's meant to convey one of them is for me, of course...

So it looks like it was too good to be true (or to be sustainable).

First, MoviePass recently changed its terms to charge an additional amount for "surge pricing" when a movie is just out and very popular. Thing is, I looked at what movies were surge pricing today here in Louisville and basically every movie on first run was surge pricing except for the 1st showing of the day. So unless you want to go to, say, the 11 am showing, you're going to have to pay more beyond your monthly MoviePass fee.

Second, MoviePass is running out of money, and in fact ran out of money last night and had to take an emergency $5 mil loan to continue operations.

So we'll be dropping our MoviePass subscriptions when the next monthly payment comes due. We might try AMC's new subscription service, but probably not. Honestly, we had a hard time finding enough movies we wanted to see, even for "free," to make $9.95/month worth our while.

Just activated two of the subscriptions I bought for Christmas tonight. I hope the company stays in business that long. It is a 12-month voucher, so my initial concern about waiting this long and losing time was unfounded, but the viability of the company is something else.

Fab Five

When this thread first started I couldn’t remember my last trip to the movies. I still can’t. IMHO the Motion picture industry is in rapid decline. They have worn out the American public.
    Real Fan since 1958

Received an email that said the card was on its way...and would be here in two weeks. Must be using Pony Express. Will the company be around when it arrives?