Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

Movies so far:

Slender Man. Maybe 4/10
    AXL 5/10
    Searching 7/10
    Mission Impossible: Fallout 10/10
    Breakthrough 7/10

Updated with Breakthrough. I wouldn't mind paying for any movie that's a 7 or above. It was a little of a "Lifetime Movie" feel to it, but still ok, and true story, feel good, was worth it. Plus some basketball scenes added to it.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Re: PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

In August MoviePass gave an ultimatum to subscribers: accept their new terms of service by August 20 or their accounts would be cancelled. (We were going to cancel, anyway, so we just chose not to accept the new terms.)

Now MoviePass is taking those of us who didn't opt in & unilaterally reinstating our memberships unless we actively opt out:

Just because you opted to cancel your MoviePass account when the company raised its prices recently doesn't mean the company is done with you. The beleaguered movie ticket subscription service seems to be restarting the memberships of customers who have already canceled or let their subscriptions lapse, according to Lifehacker and Business Insider.

Some former MoviePass users recently received emails (innocuously titled "MoviePass Updates") alerting them that their accounts would be reinstated unless they opted out by October 4. If the company didn't hear from them by then, MoviePass would automatically enroll them in its new $9.95, three-movie-a-month plan, effective October 5, according to the email. It was pitched as a “test group” designed to woo back subscribers who left the service when it began changing its terms over the last few months (including introducing surge pricing, reducing the number of movies users could see, and restricting the available showtimes).
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/55935...ed-subscribers

I checked my inbox and Mrs. BEvans and I are part of the "test group" (which I think is probably everybody who just let their memberships lapse).

I question whether they can do this without violating various states' Consumer Protection Acts (strikes me as an unfair and/or deceptive trade practice to reinstate you and charge you money without your approval)--but we're opting out this evening, anyway.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Not sure if anybody here still has MoviePass, but apparently their latest business model (their 9th?) is circling back around to kind of their 1st one: "Unlimited … except when the company decides you’re not allowed to watch something."

https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/20/movie...usiness-model/
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I'm still good, but basketball + soccer + college plays = no time.

I'm planning on using it next week, though.

Rupp's Runt

I still just want to rent movies in the theater at home. I feel like I've said that about a dozens time, but I'm still wanting that to happen lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'm still good, but basketball + soccer + college plays = no time.

I'm planning on using it next week, though.
    I didn't do it. Getting close to a year, l hope we get at least our money's worth.

Investment recoupment tally

109.04 remaining
    83.58 remaining
    Sitting in a theatre in Georgia about to watch Breakthrough.

Tickets here a bargain, but saved 2 x $9.19 = $18.38.

Wife reminded me she used it to watch a movie with her daughters on a girls night out. So the running tally is...

55.20 remaining

Still in the hole. I need 3 more movies with wife to make a profit. Wasn't the worse gift decision I've ever made--and it forced us to go to 5 movies (so far) together, and counting, which is probably--5 movies more--than we would've, so there's that benefit.

Still some time remaining. It's weird, my billing says my next billing is August 12. I know I activated it before then, but maybe I'll have all summer to recoup this as well.

That's an interesting way to look at it--provides motivation for Date Night.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    That's an interesting way to look at it--provides motivation for Date Night.
    We went to a movie at the beach (Dunkirk) two summers ago. Did not go to a movie since then until we started movie pass last summer, and did not go to one for at least a year, maybe two or more before that.

So far, we're paying $13.84 a movie. If it ended today, that wouldn't be horrible.

MoviePass Services shut down on July 4th. The stated reason was because they needed to improve their app. Below is a cut and paste from their Twitter.

@MoviePass: @TheMightyFedra Hi, due to maintenance related issues, MoviePass services have been put on a temporary hold. Once we have resolved these technical problems, the service will be live again. We estimate this process will take several weeks. We sincerely appreciate your patience.

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 07-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.

"Recapitalize" is a bad word. Guess they finally ran out of money and couldn't raise any more.

I'm surprised they lasted this long.

I think we will have slightly overpaid for what we got, but it forced us to go out and see a couple of movies we wouldn't have seen, so it's not all bad.

It won't bother me too much either way, but I would kind of like it if they would resume and add on some time, say, starting mid-August. Right now is just not a good time for us to go to the movies, but after we get our two still in college back to school, it will be good.

I doubt they resume, though. I think they're gone.

Surprisingly, I got it back yesterday. Received an email that said they were rolling out the new app, and downloaded it. Looks the same to me, but I can get movies again. Probably won't, though. Bad time of the year for me for the next two weeks.

Day is done... 1568481467.jpg

MoviePass drew in millions of subscribers, initially luring them with a $10 monthly rate. But that proved unsustainable. Because MoviePass typically pays theaters the full cost of tickets — $15 or more in big cities — a single movie can put the service in the red.
    https://time.com/5677784/moviepass-shut-down/

Well, when you put it like that....

I paid too much (or used it far too little), but I can say with a clear conscience, at least it got us out to watch movies, where we would not have before. I'm glad for that. Worth it to me, even as "frugal" as I am.

Text of an email I received an hour ago...

Hello!

We are so excited to announce that we are beginning our launch sequence to bring MoviePass back. For those of you who don’t know MoviePass was sold back in 2017 to a private equity group and due to mismanagement subsequently closed its doors. Last year I, one of the original Founders, bought the company back with the plan to relaunch it. Time Magazine did a great piece that does a wonderful job of explaining the sequence of events that lead to this point.

I want to thank everyone for their support in helping us get here. So many of you have called, emailed and even stopped me on the street to show that you still had your original MoviePass card and talk about how much you loved the service. So if you were a 2012 OG or caught the wave towards the end we look forward to welcoming you back.

We will begin relaunching the service beginning Labor Day - September 5th. But prior to that we are opening up our waitlist to be able to join.

Being on the waitlist will be the only way to be able to sign up for the service in the foreseeable future. This Thursday, August 25, 2022 we will open the waitlist at 9a ET at MoviePass.com There is no cost to join the waitlist. Space will be limited and on a first come first serve basis. The engagement from the waitlist will help us to determine which markets we will open first and thereafter.

Each person who joins the waitlist will receive 10 friend invites that will activate when they sign up for the service. If you do not make it on the waitlist the only way you will be able to join in the future is to receive an invite from someone.

We are very excited to get back up and running and look forward to seeing you all at the movies soon.

Sincerely,

Stacy Spikes
    Co-Founder/CEO
    JOIN THE WAITLIST

This is how OnePlus phones began in the U.S.

01 Days : 21 Hours : 00 Minutes : 18 Seconds

The new MoviePass Beta App will be accessible by invite only. When the timer reaches :00 the waitlist will be open for 5 days. All who join the waitlist will receive priority access to the service and 10 friend invites. Space is limited. Once the waitlist is closed the only way to join will be through an invite from a friend.

Sounds like a good example of fool me once, shame on you. For me twice, shame on me.

Here is an article on the relaunch and the new pricing tiers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...sign-up-2022-8

I was just thinking about MoviePass last week for some reason. Interesting they're trying to relaunch.

I don't think I'm interested, but I did sign up for the waiting list.

I don't think I'm interested, but I did sign up for the waiting list.
    Same

I don't think I have received anything yet from them--have you, BEvans?

^Nope--last email was 9/6, announcing test markets (Chicago, Dallas, KC).

Received my invitation.

Several layers/price plans. Supposedly the lowest allows 1-3 movies per month for $10/month. No steal deals like we saw before, but if you get 3 movies for that, not bad...

I got the same. I'll have to take a look at the details--it's been quite a while since I attended movies regularly (just not that much I'm interested in seeing--TV is more interesting to me these days).

ETA: I decided not to sign up. I just don't think I'll get a lot of use out of it and I'm still gunshy from the last time.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-29-2023 at 07:19 PM.

Same. Got an email this morning that said I had less than 24 hours left. It's a little fuzzy on details, but I briefly considered the $10 plan, but when they say "1-3“ movies, that's a pretty big range I'm not willing to accept.