Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

UNC** Will Go Before Infractions Committee Wednesday.. Will Roy Tear Up??

I hope so. Right after they announce none of the Tar Heel Tactics succeeded.

Re: UNC** Will Go Before Infractions Committee Wednesday.. Will Roy Tear Up??

Heck, he is practicing now...
    Compromise: An amiable arrangement between husband and wife whereby they agree to let her have her own way.

Ole Roy

"Oh Committee, Oh Committee, Oh Committee, pals of mine
    Our buddy Emmert promised Jordan it would turn out just fine"

Last edited by kingcat; 08-14-2017 at 11:44 PM.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." ó Jack Handey ,

Ole Roy was Sam Walton's faithful bird dog. Roy Williams is a lying, crying and cheating POS scumbag. Do not confuse the two.

Roy will be a blabbering mess.

Unforgettable

From the article Darryls posted:

This is not an end point as much as it is a new beginning.

And even if the committee accepts the enforcement staff’s case – which is the far more likely outcome of the hearing – several months could pass before it issues a final ruling, which would include penalties in sanctions.

UNC’s earlier NCAA investigation, the one into its football program, offers only a loose idea of a possible decision timeline.

In that case, UNC appeared before the infractions committee on Oct 28, 2011. The university received its ruling on March 12, 2012 – 136 days after its infractions committee hearing. If this case follows the same timeline, and if the hearing ends on Thursday, then UNC would receive its verdict on Dec. 31.

In other words, low probability of Cryin' Roy on Wednesday/Thursday.

BTW, that last one makes me happy. How great would it be to see this come down just as UNC-CH was beginning conference play?
    "Calipariís Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

We'll probably get an updated timeline tomorrow, but it should be 8-12 weeks after the hearing concludes before the Infractions Committee issues a ruling.

When UofL's hearing concluded they said a decision would be coming in 6-8 weeks and it was released almost 8 weeks to the day.

Fiddlin' Five

I'm still in the corner that thinks the NCAA isn't going to do much of anything. A slap on the wrist, that will be it.
    And with that, the NCAA will have signed it's own death warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post

BTW, that last one makes me happy. How great would it be to see this come down just as UNC-CH was beginning conference play?
    It would be terrific, unless....

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I'm still in the corner that thinks the NCAA isn't going to do much of anything. A slap on the wrist, that will be it.
    Gotta think they know that. Emmert has to know that. Are his hands tied, is the question.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

This has been the popular refrain, but methinks y'all are DREAMING if you believe not properly sanctioning U**NC will lead to the NCAA's demise.

It presumes that WAY more folks care about the Scarheels' shenanigans than seems to be the reality.

Don't think U**NC will get penalized much? Of course. That's what most folks think, but the NCAA?

Dream on.

JMO.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

We will disagree here. It's not too far out of the realm of possibility to see many of the power 5 schools leaving to form their own association if the NCAA doesn't mete out what needs to happen in this instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    This has been the popular refrain, but methinks y'all are DREAMING if you believe not properly sanctioning U**NC will lead to the NCAA's demise.

It presumes that WAY more folks care about the Scarheels' shenanigans than seems to be the reality.

Don't think U**NC will get penalized much? Of course. That's what most folks think, but the NCAA?

Dream on.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    We will disagree here. It's not too far out of the realm of possibility to see many of the power 5 schools leaving to form their own association if the NCAA doesn't mete out what needs to happen in this instance.
    If true I hope that has been conveyed to the necessary people.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Yes, but what, if anything, has ever been reported about such a theory other than forum type folks like us chatting about it?

I see it as highly unlikely because I am skeptical that U**NC, and their clear corruption, is disliked so much, etc. that certain schools would go off and start anew. Well, you'd need a LOT more than a handful to make that even remotely feasible IMO, so who's likely to make a big stink outta that aside from NC St., MAYbe Duke, UK, and/or MAYbe a few others?

I guess, for me, I need to see a bit more than chat about it and a lot more meat and potatoes behind the general notion.

JMO, and cool to agree to disagree in any event.

Fiddlin' Five

I dunno, Krank. I am of the opinion that many of the members will be more than a little ticked off that the NCAA did not do it's job, nor protect its members AND the student-athletes that it has for so long pretended to look out for, and in not doing so will have severely alienated every other member of the organization.
    Let's remember, membership is voluntary. So, if the membership isn't being looked after by the ruling proletariat, what good reason would they have to stay in the company of those who will not look out for them in a fair and equitable manner?
    They wouldn't.
    I'm telling you, if the NCAA shovels this under the rug like they did with Duke, or if it overreacts as it did with Penn State, then they may as well pack it in, because the prevailing sentiment is going to be "if you let UNC skate,then you have no authority over our institution either". And at that point, the NCAA will have rendered itself worthless in the eyes of ALL of its members. And many of them will look to an alternative resolution, that will be fair & look after its members equitably. JMHO. But I see trouble, big trouble for the NCAA if it follows the path of favoritism for UNC while it takes the hard road against everyone else. Again, JMHO.

Yes, but what, if anything, has ever been reported about such a theory other than forum type folks like us chatting about it?

I see it as highly unlikely because I am skeptical that U**NC, and their clear corruption, is disliked so much, etc. that certain schools would go off and start anew. Well, you'd need a LOT more than a handful to make that even remotely feasible IMO, so who's likely to make a big stink outta that aside from NC St., MAYbe Duke, UK, and/or MAYbe a few others?

I guess, for me, I need to see a bit more than chat about it and a lot more meat and potatoes behind the general notion.

JMO, and cool to agree to disagree in any event.
    I would imagine those discussions, if any, would be done by private communications until such a time they're deemed necessary.

But if the NCAA disbands, who crested this new organization - the same schools already in the NCAA? Why would a new organization consisting of the same members with the same goals be significantly different than what we have now?

Of course, the Articles of Confederation was replaced by the I.S. Constitution and was different enough to dork, but I'm skeptical thst Cynthiana new group would be an improvement.

Overall, though, I agree with Krank about the NCAA surviving whatever happens with this case.

I dunno, Krank. I am of the opinion that many of the members will be more than a little ticked off that the NCAA did not do it's job, nor protect its members AND the student-athletes that it has for so long pretended to look out for, and in not doing so will have severely alienated every other member of the organization.
    Let's remember, membership is voluntary. So, if the membership isn't being looked after by the ruling proletariat, what good reason would they have to stay in the company of those who will not look out for them in a fair and equitable manner?
    They wouldn't.
    I'm telling you, if the NCAA shovels this under the rug like they did with Duke, or if it overreacts as it did with Penn State, then they may as well pack it in, because the prevailing sentiment is going to be "if you let UNC skate,then you have no authority over our institution either". And at that point, the NCAA will have rendered itself worthless in the eyes of ALL of its members. And many of them will look to an alternative resolution, that will be fair & look after its members equitably. JMHO. But I see trouble, big trouble for the NCAA if it follows the path of favoritism for UNC while it takes the hard road against everyone else. Again, JMHO.
    I want to be clear here... I see your position as COMPLETELY logical.

Where my skepticism comes in is recalling that, as a society, we accept burdensome bureaucratic nonsense practically every day.

For example, you cite Duke and the Maggette "case". Hell, suncat, do you know how many people I have talked to, including some HUGE fans of NCAA hoops, in general, about that? It's a LOT, lol, and maybe one or two have heard a thing about it. Hell, most of 'em act relatively shoulder-shrugging about it when they DO hear about it.

The Duke/U**NC rivalry is possibly the most important phenomenon, outside of the Tournament, in NCAA Basketball, so my guess is that they soft-shoe U**NC's case JUST enough to "save" their treasured entity without even a blip in the radar about the organization's potential dissolution.

The Penn St. case is a better example, but if they over-reached on that very public case, why do we think the opposite will engender such a reaction?

Again, just my take, and perhaps I am too cynical... but modern times (the span of my life and a few years before that, lol) has taught me that cynicism is often the path to ultimate truth.

Sad, ain't it?

Fiddlin' Five

Whatever happens, you can be sure that the only folks coming out ahead from all of this nonsense will be the law firms & the lawyers who litigate this stuff in whatever forum it gets litigated in, whether it be a court of law or in the halls of the NCAA in Indianapolis.

Super Kitten

Whatever happens, you can be sure that the only folks coming out ahead from all of this nonsense will be the law firms & the lawyers who litigate this stuff in whatever forum it gets litigated in, whether it be a court of law or in the halls of the NCAA in Indianapolis.
    Hey we have to eat too BTW Suncat knowing you are in sheriff's department my son just made Captain in KY State Police. Mighty proud of him and all our law enforcement.

I actually think UNC has backed the NCAA agsinst the wall and is in essence forcing them to hammer them. The schools attitude and approach has to have pissed off the people in Indy to no end. Lkkewise other schools have to be shown the error of the approach. IMO the NCAA has little wiggle room due to the tarheels arrogance

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I actually think UNC has backed the NCAA agsinst the wall and is in essence forcing them to hammer them. The schools attitude and approach has to have pissed off the people in Indy to no end. Lkkewise other schools have to be shown the error of the approach. IMO the NCAA has little wiggle room due to the tarheels arrogance
    I'm hoping you are right. Your argument makes too much sense, BUT we shall see.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
    Hey we have to eat too BTW Suncat knowing you are in sheriff's department my son just made Captain in KY State Police. Mighty proud of him and all our law enforcement.
    Congratulations to him, and to you too, proud Poppa!
    MOLON LABE!

I wonder when we can expect some actual news from yesterday's meeting?

Peace

Richard (CW)

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    But if the NCAA disbands, who crested this new organization - the same schools already in the NCAA? Why would a new organization consisting of the same members with the same goals be significantly different than what we have now?
    Exactly!! Thank you. There is no reason to believe any new group would be better, and would likely be worse. Furthermore, as a member organization, if the rules are so bad why don't the members change them?

We may make fun of the NCAA's stance/rules on amateurism, but if you gave the Power 5 a blank sheet of paper where do you think they will start? I believe if you left it up to most coaches they would choose to separate, to the extent possible, from any university affiliation to ensure they could practice 24/7. We would have, in essence, minor league professional teams.
    - Bill Simmons.

Unforgettable

For example, you cite Duke and the Maggette "case". Hell, suncat, do you know how many people I have talked to, including some HUGE fans of NCAA hoops, in general, about that? It's a LOT, lol, and maybe one or two have heard a thing about it. Hell, most of 'em act relatively shoulder-shrugging about it when they DO hear about it.
    This is a great point, and one we should keep in mind. On this board, the UNC-CH case has become almost as big as Brown vs Board of Education because of our love of college basketball and our hatred of UNC-CH. As to the former, we should remember we are in a tiny, tiny minority of college basketball fans due to the amount of time we spend on forums like this debating about basketball. That puts us in an even tinier minority of all people. There are far more people right now in a Game of Thrones forum, or one devoted to Drake, or The Bachelor, than are doing what we are doing. As to the latter (i.e., it being UNC-CH) had the same exact thing happened at Grand Valley State I doubt there would have been more than one thread over the entire timeframe that this occurred.

So I think Krank's point is spot on - we believe this to be important, and it is, but we believe it to be far more important than it might really be. I be the people who believe something should be done about the risk of head injuries in college football believe what they are debating is more important than anything.
    - Bill Simmons.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I think I mentioned that my friend in the ath dept here had met with someone from the NCAA a few weeks back and while she didn't say much, he told me she did say UNC-CH's handling of this is something that has gone into the NCAA's thinking. In other words, I believe you are correct.
    - Bill Simmons.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    I wonder when we can expect some actual news from yesterday's meeting?

Peace

Richard (CW)
    My guess, based on other cases, is not for a while. But I also believe if UNC-CH felt after the meeting that it was moving in their direction there would be some leaks. The longer we go without hearing anything the more I believe they got bad news.

Oh, and don't forget, it continues today.
    Last edited by Bakert; 08-17-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    - Bill Simmons.