Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: RIP Glen Campbell

RIP Glen Campbell

Glen Campbell lost his battle with Alzheimer's today....

That boy could flat out pick...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...yAK?li=BBnbfcL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 08-08-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: RIP Glen Campbell

Very sad news today. Whenever I hear one of his songs I'm instantly transported back to my boyhood and simpler times. I still love to hear Galveston. RIP Glen.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

RIP Glen Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Very sad news today. Whenever I hear one of his songs I'm instantly transported back to my boyhood and simpler times. I still love to hear Galveston. RIP Glen.
    Yep, I have several Glen Campbell songs in my music library for the same reason. Wichita Lineman is one my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I have Rhinestone Cowboy on my 70s playlist.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

A great talent, and an old friend who will remain a part of my life in music.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

He had so many songs that I love. Gentle on my Mind is a favorite of mine. Of course Rhinestone Cowboy reminds me of dancing around my grandparents den with my cousin playing 45's when we were like 4 or something. Wichita Lineman and Galveston are amazing as well. Alzheimers is a horrible disease. My prayers to his family.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

His talent on the guitar was amazing. This video of him playing the William Tell Overture is classic.

https://youtu.be/0bhuxkzjuQc

Kingcat, you had the pleasure of knowing him?

EDIT: another version that is also very entertaining!

https://youtu.be/GUBhE00h9U0
    Last edited by KSRdallen; 08-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post
    His talent on the guitar was amazing. This video of him playing the William Tell Overture is classic.

https://youtu.be/0bhuxkzjuQc

Kingcat, you had the pleasure of knowing him?

EDIT: another version that is also very entertaining!

https://youtu.be/GUBhE00h9U0
    Oh I wish! I was speaking figuratively.. Sorry

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Oh I wish! I was speaking figuratively.. Sorry
    No problem!

I had no idea that he was such a respected guitar player in the music industry. Alice Cooper talks about Glenn in this interview

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

RIP Glen Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I had no idea that he was such a respected guitar player in the music industry. Alice Cooper talks about Glenn in this interview

Same. And that video clip of him playing the guitar. Wow.

Glen Campbell was part of The Wrecking Crew, a famous collection of studio musicians who backed many of the great hits of the 60s. He later used the Wrecking Crew as his band for many of his hits during the 60s such as Wichita Lineman and Gentle On My Mind. He was a Musician's Musician by all accounts.

If you get a chance, check out the documentary "The Wrecking Crew" on Netflix. Very interesting to hear the back stories of the musicians and the hits they played on.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Tremendous.

One more with another legendary picker.

kingcat, thanks for the link. That is some serious pickin. During the song, I knew that there was a steel guitar involved, but did not see him on stage until the last few seconds when the camera panned out.
    seeya
    dan

Thanks Kingcat, no doubt two of the best. Neither fully got their due for their guitar talent.

Dan, that's a heck of a video with Cooper. Not sure what was more odd, envisioning them as best buds or envisioning Alice Cooper as a golf hound. I knew he'd really cleaned up and found a whole different life. He seems awfully at peace with it, which is great.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

His revelation that Campbell used to be a coke hound shocked me.
    seeya
    dan

His revelation that Campbell used to be a coke hound shocked me.
    That actually didn't. I saw something on him many many years ago that covered the fact he was totally into that scene at the time. He was more soft rock star than country star at that time IMO, and they talked about how he indulged as much as any rock star. Can't remember where now, but it was probably 20+ years ago that I saw it.

I do remember being surprised by it at the time though. totally contrary to the image for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I have Rhinestone Cowboy on my 70s playlist.
    On my iPhone for sure. That's also one of my drunken Karaoke go to songs.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
    On my iPhone for sure. That's also one of my drunken Karaoke go to songs.
    I'm disturbed that there is the possibility you have sober Karaoke songs.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm disturbed that there is the possibility you have sober Karaoke songs.
    I actually will do karaoke when I'm sober which is often since I haven't been truly drunk since about 2010. I got a karaoke machine and a few cds. I have a good time with it at gatherings.