Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amelia Island

Rupp's Runt

Amelia Island

Looking at going in late September. Suggestions on places to stay? Preferably on the beach. Planning this later than I like but we have not been able to agree on where to go.

A quick search and it seems to be mostly resorts? Do they have condos?

I'll ask about food later on lol

Rupp's Runt

Re: Amelia Island

I know nothing at all about the island.

Amelia Island

I love Amelia Island, and it's especially beautiful in the fall. I think I could actually live there. I'll get the name of the condo from the Mrs. that we always stay at. Nice two bed/two bath units with very little dune to cross to access the beach. It's on the northern end of the island closer to historic district (shops/restaurants).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

I have stayed there several times and enjoyed it. I believe every time was at Amelia Island Plantation. While I love Amelia Is. the beaches are nowhere as beautiful as our Alabama and Northwest Florida beaches.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    While I love Amelia Is. the beaches are nowhere as beautiful as our Alabama and Northwest Florida beaches.
    I'm sure, but I've seen those a dozen times. Although going back to Gulf Shores was still an option. Ultimately, I wanted to go back to Siesta Key but Amelia Island is a compromise and a place we both want to visit sooner or later.

Amelia Island

Brown coarse sand verses white soft sand. I've seen the Atlantic water look just as clear and blue as the gulf, and I've seen the water in the gulf look as dark and greenish as the Atlantic can be.The ocean side is typically rougher and there is usually a bit of a trough to negotiate getting in and out of the water, plus the tides are way more drastic. All in all it's the beach there's waves and water and the sun shines just as bright on both sides.

Some of the most beautiful beaches I've seen are on the Atlantic side. In fact on the north end of Amelia Island there is a state park where the beaches and dunes are pretty much untouched it's worth the five bucks park fee to spend a day there. Plus the inlet is close by making the surf fishing outstanding.

Amelia is the self proclaimed shrimp capital of the world and they are plentiful, inexpensive, and tasty.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

I'm hoping for a clean non commercialized version of Daytona if that makes sense.

Actually that makes perfect sense to me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Amelia Island

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I'm hoping for a clean non commercialized version of Daytona if that makes sense.
    Oceans of Amelia is the name of the condo we always stay in. They are 2 b/b units, which is a perfect size for me and the Mrs. It's not a large high rise so there isn't a high concentration of people crowded on the beach. The unit we rent is a corner unit which makes it a little nicer. The lady we used to rent from was really nice and easy to deal with. The last time we rented from her about 4 years ago she had the unit up for sale.... yep we thought about it but the timing just wasn't right. Ironically she sold it to guy from Louisville I spoke to him a couple of times and he seemed like he'd be easy to deal with.

Anyhow, we like the property and the beach access... no dune to speak of.

Amelia Island? Stay away. That's where that big old shark, JAWS, terrorized the tourists, isn't it?

Oh. Amity Island.

Nevermind then.

Amelia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Amelia Island? Stay away. That's where that big old shark, JAWS, terrorized the tourists, isn't it?

Oh. Amity Island.

Nevermind then.
    Maybe not Jaws but Amelia does have a bit of a shark back story... which some may not be interested in hearing.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Maybe not Jaws but Amelia does have a bit of a shark back story... which some may not be interested in hearing.

It won't ruin my trip, go ahead. I'm more scared of Jellyfish. Truly I am haha

Following the shark theme, per this article it is a good place to find fossilized shark teeth.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Amelia Island

As bgblue linked there are a lot of sharks teeth to be found...

I do a lot of surf fishing and the black tips, hammerheads and occasional lemons can be a nuisance. I've caught 2-3 footers on a regular basis... there are also a lot of pups which tells me it's a nursery. I did hook a bull shark a couple of years ago. Be smart don't swim at dusk and dawn, however I have got in early mornings from time to time snorkeling to see what's moving around.

No big deal I spend a lot of time in the water too and still have all my important stuff.

I've found jellies to be more prevalent in the gulf depending on what time of year.

Fab Five

Oh. Amity Island.

Nevermind then.
    Navarre Beach
    Real Fan since 1958

Amelia Island

Navarre Beach
    Was there one week with 32 of my closest relatives...

Amelia Island

Navarre Beach
    Great little burger joint in Navarra Beach. It's in what used to be an old gas station.

TC's Front Porch

Last edited by blueboss; 08-05-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Amelia Island

Hey KYWC, are you still planning on going to Amelia ?

Was there one week with 32 of my closest relatives...
    So just you and the wife and kids then.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

lol.

Man, you talk about a week. There were some coming and going, but at one point, I think all 32 were there. I could be wrong, but I think as many as 26 slept there, and that number was pretty consistent all week. It was a big three story house, but still....

Rupp's Runt

Hey KYWC, are you still planning on going to Amelia ?

I am! Booked our condo. I don't remember the name of it. But it is on the north end. And looked fairly isolated.

Amelia Island

I am! Booked our condo. I don't remember the name of it. But it is on the north end. And looked fairly isolated.
    Lucky! I'm officially jealous...

Rupp's Runt

Kid friendly restaurant suggestions would be appreciated. They can be nicer places as we normally go eat before the crowd gets there. They are 3 years old and nearly 1 by that time.

Great little burger joint in Navarra Beach. It's in what used to be an old gas station.

TC's Front Porch

T-Rays sounds simiilar

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Gilbert's Underground Kitchen for top notch BBQ and more

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Amelia Island

I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it's at the marina in the historic district. The main street through the historic district dead ends there. The 3 year old might get a kick out of looking at the fishing boats coming in.

There's also a really good pizza joint in the historic district. They have some other menu items other than pizza, they actually have the freshest shrimp in town. I spoke to the owner he said they get them fresh daily on the dock.

Joes Bistro has a great patio for dining... really good bouillabaisse if you like that sort of thing. Seafood was really fresh.

Lulu's is good...

There's a place called the Sand Dollar it's a bit of a drive south but it sits on the water and across the bay is a naval training base. We sat on the deck one evening and watched naval choppers doing training exercises over the water.... pretty neat.

Ciao, good Italian food.

Last edited by blueboss; 08-11-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the trip. Again, I really wanted to go back go Siesta Key, but this will mark one off of the bucket list. And I'm getting more and more excited about it as I read more. We leave out in about a month or so. We will explore the north and south end of the island, and maybe both state parks. We will drive down to St. Augustine for a day and maybe eat with some old friends.

We have friends in Fernandina Beach but I much prefer the gulf side too.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

I'm pretty mixed on the Atlantic vs Gulf. The gulf is generally a lot prettier and so far I have found it to be more peaceful for the most part. But we are beach walkers and I like walking on the flatter/firmer sand on the Atlantic. This is why I liked Siesta Key so much. You get the white sand but it is also flatter. Not as fluffy and pretty as the panhandle to me, but close and much better walking.

Amelia Island

Thanks guys! Looking forward to the trip. Again, I really wanted to go back go Siesta Key, but this will mark one off of the bucket list. And I'm getting more and more excited about it as I read more. We leave out in about a month or so. We will explore the north and south end of the island, and maybe both state parks. We will drive down to St. Augustine for a day and maybe eat with some old friends.
    When we were doing St Augustine we always stayed just south of St Augustine at Crystal Beach. There's a Saltwater Cowboys there that we really liked.