Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Leash Ideas

Question Leash Ideas

Guys, who among you owns a dog?
    I'm wondering if you can suggest me a really sturdy leash for my 40-pound Bullmastiff dog. His leashes before were easily torn, maybe because of his weight.
    Any suggestions?

Re: Leash Ideas

I'm guessing someone at PetSmart would put you on the right track.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I've got a buddy with big dogs. I'll ask him.

Rupp's Runt

I use the wrap-around type harnesses with the leash coupling at the top. As far as the actual leash, I use the rotary style retractable leashes for my dogs. But my dogs are all under 25 lbs. or so, so your needs as far as a leash are probably much more strenuous than mine.
    MOLON LABE!

The "behave collars" (aka gentle leader) is what you need. They discourage pulling but using the natural behavior of the dog to discourage pulling.

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

No idea if this is good or not, and I would certainly go with Doc's recommendation over anyone elses. But I follow The Wirecutter, and it just happened that they had an article this week on the best retractable leash. Here's the link to it. It isn't exactly what you were asking, but I thought it was pretty relevant.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/b...ign=RSS%20Feed

Retractable leashes are for fat lazy people which is why we have them (j/k).

Actually what we used was the electrical training collars they use on bird dogs. Unfortunately they have a bad rap as they use electrical shocks to modify behavior. Folks dont realize that the better ones give an audible tone that replaces the shock, and that the shock does not need to be enough to hurt the dog. This allows our dog to stray a bit when running with my wife, not get tangled up in a leash but still offers control for up to 1/2 mile. Only way to train the pointer. On our greyhound, she hugs the pointers hip and never leaves his side so no need for a collar on her. She does not run with my wife though as she lacks the stamina to go any distance
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. I also saw this leather dog leash when I was searching online. Have you tried this brand? If so, would you recommend it for large and heavy dogs?

06-5656-4_cat.jpg

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Welch View Post
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. I also saw this leather dog leash when I was searching online. Have you tried this brand? If so, would you recommend it for large and heavy dogs?

06-5656-4_cat.jpg
    i would stick with Doc's advice. He is the best veterinarian I know.
    Real Fan since 1958

Leash Ideas

My daughter has a 175 pound American mastiff and she uses a regular leash with the collar pictured. They spent the extra dough to train "Diesel" for obvious reasons (175 lbs).

She recommended, if your having trouble, go to Live Life Large Facebook page and message them. They offer free advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

boss, when she got the dog, did she really think she was getting a pony?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Leash Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    boss, when she got the dog, did she really think she was getting a pony?
    I'm not sure what she was thinking, but it turned out ok. He's a pretty good dog and has become a beloved member of her family.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    i would stick with Doc's advice. He is the best veterinarian I know.
    The 'lectric collar works well on Shawn too.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    My daughter has a 175 pound American mastiff and she uses a regular leash with the collar pictured. They spent the extra dough to train "Diesel" for obvious reasons (175 lbs).

She recommended, if your having trouble, go to Live Life Large Facebook page and message them. They offer free advice...

Those work well... as well

Lots of folks object to the pinch collars as they look barbaric

they are not. The tines pinch, not stick. However since so many misunderstand the mechanism, I generally believe its not worth the aggravation of explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Welch View Post

06-5656-4_cat.jpg
    Leather is better. I'm a leather guy ..... seriously. One economical option is to go to a feed store and check on horse leads. Lots of time you can get a better quality one for a better price. They use a better grade of leather. Nylon works well too but tends to get funky if allowed to stay wet too long.