Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 50th Anniversary

Remastered in 4K for both Original & Extended Cuts plus a bunch of extras.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=289469
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 50th Anniversary

It may not be the greatest Western "ever" by some standards, but it has always been my clear favorite ever since I played hooky from school as a kid so I could stay home and watch it (for the first time).

The Sergio Leone Westerns that are well-known, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West are all excellent IMO.

The first of the Eastwood Westerns, Fistful, is actually a direct rip-off of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which is okay, actually, given that Yojimbo was greatly influenced by American Westerns, but Yojimbo is by far the better film (think of Samurais and showdowns as a quick description for those who have not seen it), which should be no surprise since Kurosawa was one of the truly greatest directors ever (and Leone is terrific, but not in Kurosawa's league by any stretch IMO).

For a Few Dollars More is the least known to most folks now, but is very underrated of the four. Lee Van Cleef is better in this film, IMO, than he is in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Once Upon a Time in the West is easily the best looking and best made film, overall, of the four and it is very high on my all-time fave Westerns list. It features an effectively dark, even disturbing or evil if you like, antagonist role for Henry Fonda, which was certainly rare for the actor, yet he knocks in outta the park.

The reason The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has always been my fave is threefold:

1. Epic Western qualities... not only the length of the film, but the Odyssey-like adventures of "Blondie" and Tuco and how much larger, in feel, that it makes the whole thing vibe.
    2. Pure Entertainment... for me, it has everything I would ever want in a Western, PLUS it can be hilarious on top of that, not to mention the absurd (-ly fun) shooting precision in gunfights, etc.
    3. Eli Wallach... although most folks know it as a "Clint Eastwood Western", it is Wallach, one of the great character actors ever, who steals the film from everyone as "The Ugly" Tuco.
    Last edited by Krank; 07-21-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Next year will be 25 yrs for Tombstone. Got my fingers crossed.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Great movie. I must admit I like Fistful of Dollars the most, then Few Dollars More, then Good/Bad/Ugly.

Interesting note, Bronson was offered this role before Eastwood, and he turned it down. Then Eastwood was offered the role of Harmonica in Once Upon a Time and turned it down, and they went back to Bronson.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The Good/Bad/Ugly was one of the first westerns I ever watched with my father. I love it because of that. Love the theme music. Love the story. Love Eli Walach (Tuco). Love the fact that even the good is not "good". Once Upon a Time in the West is my alltime favorite western. Amazing film. This thread makes me miss my daddy.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!