Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Davis vs Noel

Davis vs Noel

EXCERPT FROM AN ARTICLE WRTIITEN BY TIM SULLIVAN OF THE COURIER JOURNAL IN LOUISVILLE:

"Nerlens Noel has a wingspan worthy of a bald eagle, and the light touch of a longshoreman. He is more size than skill, more potential than polish and considerably less than he will be if he figures out how to finish around the basket. The University of Kentucky’s ballyhooed freshman stands 6 feet 10 or so, depending on the altitude of his hi-top fade, and his raw talent is as conspicuous as his coiffure. Yet last year’s high school Player of the Year (USA Today) is not nearly as far advanced as was Anthony Davis at this stage of last season, nor as physical or refined as he should be if he wants to declare for next year’s NBA draft."

This got me wondering, so I researched it. The stats are as follows thru their first 7 games at UK:

Anthony Davis-186 min-26.6 avg., 36 fg/52 fga-69%, 19 ft/36 fta-53%, 64 reb-9.1 avg., 16 fouls, 8 assists, 11 t/o, 9 steals, 34 blocks, 91 pts-13 avg.
    Nerlins Noel-220 min-31.4 avg., 32 fg/ 64 fga-50%, 16 ft/ 30 fta-53%, 66 reb-9.4 avg., 21 fouls, 18 assists, 10 t/o, 21 steals, 20 blcocks, 80 pts-11.6 avg.

By the numbers, Nerlins has played more minutes; Anthony had a better shooting percentage from the field; it's a push at the f/t line; Nerlins has a ever so slight edge on rebounds; Nerlins has committed more fouls; Nerlins has a considerable advantage in assists, with less turnovers; Nerlins has a considerable advantage in steals; Anthony has a considerable advantage in blocks; Anthony has a 1.4 ppg advantage.

I will precede my next statement with the fact that i'm not lobbying either way because I think it's unfair that these kids keep getting compared to each other...But, IMO, I think the highlighted statement is false. I argue the fact that, again IMO, that Anthony was playing on a MUCH better team than Nerlins is at this moment. I also think that Nerlins' first 7 games have been against better competition than Anthony's were. Nerlins has played against Maryland, Duke, Notre Dame, and Baylor, while Anthony played only Kansas and St. Johns. I also think that Nerlins may be a more all-around better player right now. But is that because of the difference in the team's skill levels?? I don't know, but that's why we all have opinions.

So what say you BIG BLUE BRETHREN (and sistren)??

p.s. Uni-Brow vs High Top Fade??? i call it a push!!!
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

Re: Davis vs Noel

Just from a "looks" standpoint, I think UK's team is improved if the early Anthony Davis is on the team in place of the early Nerlens Noel. But you made a plausible argument for the push, and may be right.