Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Back from Peach Jam...my thoughts on players.

This makes my 5th year attending Peach Jam and I try to bring back a few thoughts on players and also report on the scuttlebutt that I overheard while there. First, this was a down year for the tourney overall. From a UK perspective, it was not nearly as impactful as last year. Going into the week, Bagley and Bol were the two players I was most excited about watching and getting info concerning their recruitment. By weeks end, it appeared that neither player would wind up at UK. In reality, I probably gained more knowledge on 2019 players than I did 2018. With that said, there is still plenty to unpack and I will give my OPINIONS on where things stand and who can play.

2018 prospects:

Bagley III: I have watched this kid for 3 straight years. From Day 1 he has been the consensus #1 player in this class. 6'10" mobile, skilled PF who can handle the ball well enough to run the point and even take is man off the dribble. If I said he were over rated I would be on an island, and in reality, he is likely the most talented prospect in the class. His jumper is not consistent at all. But overall, the kid a tremendous talent. He is difficult to evaluate this year because his team is SO bad (couldn't play dead in a Western movie), it makes every player look worse than they really are. Marvin is doubled and tripled on defense and often times has to take bad shots as the clock is winding down. UK will not get Bagley III and in truth, we aren't even in the discussion according to most people. I was sitting next Zags the night he broke the story about reclassification. Even though Duke will get the buzz, lots of folks think USC will get Bagley this year. With that said, the kid likely will be scrutinized due to some questionable academic history. At least a year of his high school will be reviewed intensely. Most likely he is cleared (his record cant be worse than Skal's and he was cleared). Bottom line: Nice player, not coming to UK so I don't care anymore.

Bol: Bol Bol is the most unusual prospect I have ever watched and as I type this I have no idea how I truly feel about him as a player. He is long. He has a great touch. He really can shoot 3's. He can't run 3 consecutive times down the court without falling way behind. Conditioning is bad. He tries to dribble and gets the ball taken 90% of the time. If he doesn't block the shot, then the other guy will score, as Bol plays no real man to man defense. With all those negatives, in truth he can score inside and out and I can see why teams like UK and Zona are recruiting him. The old adage in recruiting says, "If you are going to make a mistake in recruiting make a BIG one." Well, Bol is BIG for sure. Would he be a mistake? I don't know. I talked to one person who said the fear many have is Bol is will continue to grow and become almost too freakish to play. His dad was 7'7" or close to it. Bottom line: Unusual prospect, so I will just "trust Cal"

Emmitt Williams: This kid is a BAD BOY! 6'7" (maybe). Athletic, strong, relentless and about half pissed off. Hates the rim and the other team. I am not for sure where he would fit in Cal's plan, but if he wanted to come to UK I would gladly take him. Scores well, rebounds well and was the leader on his team. I know you have heard the stuff about, "talking to Coach K was like talking to God." Well, I sat behind his mother and though I never spoke to her, I heard her talking. I can assure you that Emmitt and his mom are not going to be star struck by Cal or K or anyone else. This is a tough family and I get the impression that can see through BS. Bottom line: He dunked in Bagley's face and then flexed. Kid could be a beast.

I am not even going to discuss Zeldon Johnson or Darius Garland because I think all of that talk is bologna. Kentucky spent almost no time watching those guys at Peach. With Quickley so hot for UK and the likely return of Green and Alexander, this Garland and Johnson stuff is fluff.

2019 Prospects:

James Wiseman: Most intriguing and exciting guy I saw. 6'10" NBA body...Wiseman is a brute right now. He plays above the rim, sometimes above the square. He can score on the block with both hands. His shot is sound. His rebounding and physical strength is NBA level right now. He plays for Team Penny in Memphis and his is rumored to LOVE CAL and UK. He will be a top 3 recruit and If UK gets him, I will be THRILLED. He has to get better, but I have no doubts he will. #1 Draft pick potential.

Tyrese Maxey: Point Guard out of Texas. His RM5 AAU team was fun to watch. I like his game. He is 6'3" ish. Shoots the ball better than Fox, but not nearly as fast. He will be a very good college point. Finds open guys, runs the team and he is definitely quick enough and skilled enough to get to the rim. Supposedly he wants UK to recruit him and I know Cal and Barbee watched him. As a side note, my son went with me this year and he loves Maxey.

2021 Prospects:

Zion Harmon: Had to do it...Freshman who played last year at Bowling Green and is transferring to Adair County. Kid was the talk the bleachers Friday morning. His story will resemble the OJ Mayo's , Damon Bailey's of the past. He is a super talented kid. Runs the team for Boo Williams and does so with great maturity. His jumper is text book. He is quick, strong and is handles are 100% The sky is the limit for this kid as long as the bright lights of early success don't derail him. He is listed at 5'10" I doubt he is that right now, but he is only 14. I am sure the pressure will be on as it relates to playing at UK IF he stays in the state. He's the kind of kid I can see at Oak Hill or Huntington Prep but either way I heard one writer say, "You are watching the next big thing in college ball." We shall see...

That is all...feel free to chime in...these are only my opinions.

Later...

Re: Back from Peach Jam...my thoughts on players.

Good stuff! Thanks BA!

Do you have any insight on what happened with Bagley and UK? Seemed like a lot of momentum/interest there for awhile. What happened?

Also did you watch Shittu any? Thoughts on him?

I didn't watch Simi...It was a little tough to get a read on who UK was interested in because their presence at Peach was sporadic. Payne was there most of the time, but the other guys were in Spartanburg more. Cal watched Simi once late in the week. Same with Johnson and Garland.

As for Bagley III, I can't answer what happened. It became pretty clear this week that Cal was not breaking his neck to watch Marvin. I have always heard that it would be tough to get the kid to come east. Duke may do it, but I don't think so. This is speculation on my part (based on a little info) but I think there may be some red flag with his school history that may have some people worried. I asked Zags if Bagley could get in at Duke, he didn't comment...Just raised his eyebrows. The kids Dad is VERY visible...Very.

Later...

I bailed on Peach Jam due to my 35 year frat reunion. Went to Atlanta this year instead and saw what I needed to. IMO Nike's talent was way down but I'll chime in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post
    This makes my 5th year attending Peach Jam and I try to bring back a few thoughts on players and also report on the scuttlebutt that I overheard while there. First, this was a down year for the tourney overall. From a UK perspective, it was not nearly as impactful as last year. Going into the week, Bagley and Bol were the two players I was most excited about watching and getting info concerning their recruitment. By weeks end, it appeared that neither player would wind up at UK. In reality, I probably gained more knowledge on 2019 players than I did 2018. With that said, there is still plenty to unpack and I will give my OPINIONS on where things stand and who can play.

2018 prospects:

Bagley III: I have watched this kid for 3 straight years. From Day 1 he has been the consensus #1 player in this class. 6'10" mobile, skilled PF who can handle the ball well enough to run the point and even take is man off the dribble. If I said he were over rated I would be on an island, and in reality, he is likely the most talented prospect in the class. His jumper is not consistent at all. But overall, the kid a tremendous talent. He is difficult to evaluate this year because his team is SO bad (couldn't play dead in a Western movie), it makes every player look worse than they really are. Marvin is doubled and tripled on defense and often times has to take bad shots as the clock is winding down. UK will not get Bagley III and in truth, we aren't even in the discussion according to most people. I was sitting next Zags the night he broke the story about reclassification. Even though Duke will get the buzz, lots of folks think USC will get Bagley this year. With that said, the kid likely will be scrutinized due to some questionable academic history. At least a year of his high school will be reviewed intensely. Most likely he is cleared (his record cant be worse than Skal's and he was cleared). Bottom line: Nice player, not coming to UK so I don't care anymore.
    You won't be on an island about over rated. Yes, he is in the top tier of players in the class (with Williamson and Reddish) but he isn't the end all like some say. I like him but don't love him. I'd rather have several players like Williamson, Reddish or Williams

Bol: Bol Bol is the most unusual prospect I have ever watched and as I type this I have no idea how I truly feel about him as a player. He is long. He has a great touch. He really can shoot 3's. He can't run 3 consecutive times down the court without falling way behind. Conditioning is bad. He tries to dribble and gets the ball taken 90% of the time. If he doesn't block the shot, then the other guy will score, as Bol plays no real man to man defense. With all those negatives, in truth he can score inside and out and I can see why teams like UK and Zona are recruiting him. The old adage in recruiting says, "If you are going to make a mistake in recruiting make a BIG one." Well, Bol is BIG for sure. Would he be a mistake? I don't know. I talked to one person who said the fear many have is Bol is will continue to grow and become almost too freakish to play. His dad was 7'7" or close to it. Bottom line: Unusual prospect, so I will just "trust Cal"
    Another I could take or leave but lean more toward the take. I don't think he is a great fit for Cal but the pluses far outweigh the minuses. He has a wanky shot where its too blockable from the outside and his defense is odd, as you say. But he is by far the best rim protector we will see in many years.

Emmitt Williams: This kid is a BAD BOY! 6'7" (maybe). Athletic, strong, relentless and about half pissed off. Hates the rim and the other team. I am not for sure where he would fit in Cal's plan, but if he wanted to come to UK I would gladly take him. Scores well, rebounds well and was the leader on his team. I know you have heard the stuff about, "talking to Coach K was like talking to God." Well, I sat behind his mother and though I never spoke to her, I heard her talking. I can assure you that Emmitt and his mom are not going to be star struck by Cal or K or anyone else. This is a tough family and I get the impression that can see through BS. Bottom line: He dunked in Bagley's face and then flexed. Kid could be a beast.
    I first saw him just over a year ago and was touting him to anybody who would listen. Beast, Monster, whatever term you want to use... the kid is fierce and takes nothing for granted. Hardest worker and just nasty. One of my favorite players ever.

I am not even going to discuss Zeldon Johnson or Darius Garland because I think all of that talk is bologna. Kentucky spent almost no time watching those guys at Peach. With Quickley so hot for UK and the likely return of Green and Alexander, this Garland and Johnson stuff is fluff.
    Garland isn't coming to UK. Its a ploy and a game by Cal. Regardless, I'd take Quickley over him, rating be damned.

2019 Prospects:

James Wiseman: Most intriguing and exciting guy I saw. 6'10" NBA body...Wiseman is a brute right now. He plays above the rim, sometimes above the square. He can score on the block with both hands. His shot is sound. His rebounding and physical strength is NBA level right now. He plays for Team Penny in Memphis and his is rumored to LOVE CAL and UK. He will be a top 3 recruit and If UK gets him, I will be THRILLED. He has to get better, but I have no doubts he will. #1 Draft pick potential.
    Agree. Penny has another big, forget the name but IU has the inside track. But the one in the class to watch is Vernon Carey out of FL. Man child. Doesn't jump all that well but can shoot the ball and reminds me a lot of Boogie. Plays for Team FL with Watford

Tyrese Maxey: Point Guard out of Texas. His RM5 AAU team was fun to watch. I like his game. He is 6'3" ish. Shoots the ball better than Fox, but not nearly as fast. He will be a very good college point. Finds open guys, runs the team and he is definitely quick enough and skilled enough to get to the rim. Supposedly he wants UK to recruit him and I know Cal and Barbee watched him. As a side note, my son went with me this year and he loves Maxey.

2021 Prospects:

Zion Harmon: Had to do it...Freshman who played last year at Bowling Green and is transferring to Adair County. Kid was the talk the bleachers Friday morning. His story will resemble the OJ Mayo's , Damon Bailey's of the past. He is a super talented kid. Runs the team for Boo Williams and does so with great maturity. His jumper is text book. He is quick, strong and is handles are 100% The sky is the limit for this kid as long as the bright lights of early success don't derail him. He is listed at 5'10" I doubt he is that right now, but he is only 14. I am sure the pressure will be on as it relates to playing at UK IF he stays in the state. He's the kind of kid I can see at Oak Hill or Huntington Prep but either way I heard one writer say, "You are watching the next big thing in college ball." We shall see...
    Awful far in the future. I saw him but didn't pay much attention. Will in the future.

Later...
    Last edited by Doc; 07-17-2017 at 08:16 PM.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have"- T. Jefferson

Thanks for the reports

Thanks, B.A., great stuff.

Also thanks to Doc for the added comments. I really feel like I catch up quite a bit when I read comments you gentlemen make.

Love what you guys are saying about Emmitt Williams. I have not seen him play, but you have me intrigued for sure. Good stuff!!
    Thanks

Peace

Richard (CW)

Thanks for posting, BA-- always love these reports!

Good stuff
    "Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

Thanks for the info

Thanks BA and Doc

Another vote for Emmitt Williams... Motrezl Harrell 2.0?.. man possessed

Really appreciate you taking the time to write that up and share it with us. Really enjoyed the observations. If you can, do you have a comparison between Williams and Williamson?
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Really appreciate you taking the time to write that up and share it with us. Really enjoyed the observations. If you can, do you have a comparison between Williams and Williamson?
    I can't comment on Zion Williamson...I have not seen him in person. I will tell you that there are more than a few who think he is the best player in the class.

Later...

From the film I have watched he is the most physically NBA ready player in this class ..or maybe any other
    "Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

Thanks for the reply!
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post

2018 prospects:

2019 Prospects:

2021 Prospects:

Later...
    Adair County grad here. We are absolutely stoked to get this kid. He has a strong history with Coach Breeze. I'll definitely be attending many games over the next few seasons. I have a lot of connections in Adair so I'll try to get inside info.

On a side note, a couple months back, I asked my source about this Harmon kid and said that he's an even better person than player. Said he is a "great, humble kid".

Did some digging and heard that Harmon MAY not be the only elite kid coming to Adair. Just smoke at this point though.

Back from Peach Jam...my thoughts on players.

Great job BA! Thanks for taking the time to give us all a peek inside the peach jam.... very informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

You mention both Garland and Keldon Johnson as being ploys or not serious interest for UK. That may be true for now, but if Romeo Langford is slipping away and Reddish goes to Duke, Barrett would be our only other option at 2G or on the wing. Obviously Reddish or Barrett would be most ideal, but if those aren't looking likely, Cal will need to make some inroads with other 5 star wings.

This is not a strong SG class however SG is probably the easiest spot to find a hidden gem. I think UK is sitting very well with Barrett, plus UK will have Baker back.
    Last edited by Doc; 07-18-2017 at 11:26 AM.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have"- T. Jefferson