Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Barrett Sallee picks Kentucky 6th in East, Dennis Dodd says 5th

Like MickintheHam said yesterday, 3rd through 7th may be a dogfight in the SEC East this year. I'm not sure I can criticize any position for any team not named Georgia or Florida before we kick off. Could be anything.

Re: Barrett Sallee picks Kentucky 6th in East, Dennis Dodd says 5th

Who is Barret Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Who is Barret Sallee
    Is that a serious question? Anybody that keeps up *at all* with SEC football knows Barrett.

Even if you have no respect for us at all, you can't pick us behind Vandy or Mizzou because of the crossover games. We get 2 of the 3 worst teams in the West in Ole Miss and Miss St.

Vandy gets Ole Miss but also gets Bama. Mizzou gets Arkansas and Auburn.

Couple of homework items.

Don't follow other football teams closely.....why is South Carolina rated so high?

Talent.

SC # 21 for 2017, UK # 34

2016: SC 25 UK 39
    2015: SC 20 UK 45
    2014: SC 24 UK 21
    2013: SC 24 UK 38

The cumulative effect of that is typically several players a year more talented, adding up over a 5-year period.

Obviously recruiting rankings are educated guesses, and things like transfers, attrition, and coaching play heavily into it.

But that's part of the reason, certainly.

Thanks Darrell

Never followed Barrett, now I see why

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Never followed Barrett, now I see why
    He's very good. Outstanding, actually. Pays to be informed.

Edit - I don't mean to be disrespectful here. What I'm trying to say is that just listening to local folks or even regional ones who happen to say something you like will give you a warped view.

I routinely listen to all. Barrett Sallee is outstanding. He can name 2nd line players off the 6th place teams in the SEC, and for darn sure 99% of the yahoos voting in polls can't say the same.

Can he be wrong? Certainly. But no reason to discount what this guy says. He's good. (I don't agree with him, but that doesn't lower my opinion of him one bit. Shouldn't.)
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 07-15-2017 at 10:30 PM.

If they shot every media person who picked Georgia #1 preseason and they didn't come close, there wouldn't be any more media in the SEC.

I don't know the teams well enough to pick us relative to anyone else, but I hope we do better than that this season. Don't need to win it, but we need to get a bowl for a few years in a row for the fans to feel like we are at least making a game of it.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Even if you have no respect for us at all, you can't pick us behind Vandy or Mizzou because of the crossover games. We get 2 of the 3 worst teams in the West in Ole Miss and Miss St.

Vandy gets Ole Miss but also gets Bama. Mizzou gets Arkansas and Auburn.
    In the case of Vandy, crossover games may not mean that much. Rather it will be head to head. I wouldn't nitpik the relative quality of West teams. Any of them are tough for a Kentucky or Vandy to beat. If Vandy plays tough against Alabama as we did last year, it may give them a lot of confidence. Could easily happen.

Two of Kentucky's three most winnable games in the East are on the road this year. Don't get me wrong, I picked UK 4th in the East, but I also know it is hanging by a thread.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    He's very good. Outstanding, actually. Pays to be informed.

Edit - I don't mean to be disrespectful here. What I'm trying to say is that just listening to local folks or even regional ones who happen to say something you like will give you a warped view.

I routinely listen to all. Barrett Sallee is outstanding. He can name 2nd line players off the 6th place teams in the SEC, and for darn sure 99% of the yahoos voting in polls can't say the same.

Can he be wrong? Certainly. But no reason to discount what this guy says. He's good. (I don't agree with him, but that doesn't lower my opinion of him one bit. Shouldn't.)
    Barrett is one of the three most knowledgeable people analyzing the SEC. He was recently picked off by CBS from his previous assignment for his outstanding work.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
    Don't follow other football teams closely.....why is South Carolina rated so high?
    Everyone is very high on USC's overall talent and their outstanding QB. Most analysts seem to believe Muschamp has worked miracles with their defense. Their win over Tennessee, as did Vandy's win over Tennessee turned a lot of heads.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
    Many of the voters probably do not know that captain visor is no longer in charge of the program
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

A bunch of guys in a few of those USC classes didn't qualify. IIRC about ten in one class alone.

Sallee has picked UK 6th for three years running now. I expect he'll pick us 6th next year too regardless of where we finish this year lol.
    Don't panic

Fiddlin' Five

We have to be able to score points on offense. And I want to believe that we will.
    We absolutely have to stop other teams with defense, but once again the D-line may be a big liability instead of an asset.
    And we absolutely need to win every home game we play, and at least 2-3 road games for this football team to show it is growing and evolving into an SEC East contender. Any combination of road wins that is 3-1 or 4-0 gets us there. We have to have wins against Southern Mississippi, South Carolina, Mississippi State and Louisville for this season to be a success, in addition to winning all of our home games.
    Yeah, I know, I am expecting entirely way too much.
    MOLON LABE!