Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Aboard

All Aboard

I've started a sales pitch to Mrs. boss on a train ride....

Wish me luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: All Aboard

The train was over two hours late arriving inSF from LA. There wasn't one complaint. When you are trated well and are thoroughly enjoying yourself it is hard to be upset over time. It's like riding the Ferris wheel when they forget to unload your car. You get to ride longer.

For the most part, the trains run on schedule. The Sunset Ltd from NOLA to LA was on time or early at every station. The heat on the tracks and some emergency maintenance caused the train to run at slowere speeds through the inland valley in Cali and up the Mountain near San Luis Obispo.

The great parts of the trip are the views in the lounge car and the people. The lounge car has seats that face the window and you can ride there for hours watching the world around you. I can't wait untilmlater in the week when we will pass through Glenwood canyon in CO. In all my travels it is one of the Top 5 scenic areas. Im living on the extended time God has given me since I complete my work career. I couldn't care less if a trip takes 3 hours or 3 weeks if I am enjoying it. The cross-country train is the destination, not the means to get to a destination.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-24-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Here is a favorite pic from somewhere near Del Rio TX.IMG_0187.jpg

It was the start to a great day.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I've started a sales pitch to Mrs. boss on a train ride....

Wish me luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you only get to take one trip take either the Coast Starlight or California Zephyr. The Starlight runs from San Diego to Seattle. The views are breathtaking. Zephyr runs between Chicago and Emeryville CA. Where the Hell is Emeryville you might ask. It is just North of Oakland and serves the entire Bay Area.
    Real Fan since 1958

Really enjoying following your reports Mick. I've wanted to take a big train trip, not sure if i'll ever happen but your reports are giving me a real feel for what to expect.

My gut says I'd want a cabin type setup, but sounds like you're happy without it and doing the hotel thing.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Really enjoying following your reports Mick. I've wanted to take a big train trip, not sure if i'll ever happen but your reports are giving me a real feel for what to expect.

My gut says I'd want a cabin type setup, but sounds like you're happy without it and doing the hotel thing.
    If I were to do it again I would get a sleeping berth if I was staying overnight on the train but it was interesting to get off wherever you are when its time to think about dinner and a bed.

Here is a pic of my space when the chair in front is fully reclined. I have room to cross my legs and plenty of table space. Outlet is to my left.IMG_0484.jpg
    Real Fan since 1958

So the trains stop every night basically for these kinds of trips? Wasn't sure how it worked really, I did some really shallow research years ago, but nothing much.

I'd lean towards a berth just for privacy and such, but I don't know what kinds of rooms those are either really, and I'm sure it varies by train.

I did look at taking the train from here (maysville rather) to DC for a trip, but the timing wasn't going to work out very well so I didn't dig in much.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Train does not stop. For example when I saw the train to LA stopped in San Antonio at midnight I Stopped there. Since this particular route did not run daily, i rented a car and drove to Austin the next night and got to go to Antones and a couple other great bars. Fantastic time. Drove back and got on the train.
    Real Fan since 1958

Mick enjoying your trip reports.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

I was wondering, are there still train robbers? Closest Ive heard of is your everyday subway muggings in NY

Watch out for these types Mick..

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

All Aboard

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Mick enjoying your trip reports.
    Same.

Great reports Mick. Almost makes me want to ask the government to invest two billion so you could ride thru here.

You are right to take advantage while you can.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Great reports Mick. Almost makes me want to ask the government to invest two billion so you could ride thru here.

You are right to take advantage while you can.
    It is hard to imagine the cross-country trains lasting longer. But the government needs to make a commitment to mass transportation. We cannot continue to pour concrete and widen roads. The subsidizaion of rail transportation pales in comparison to the waste in the rransportation depts, Fed and state.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Well, today we were mooned twice by rafters on the Colorado River today.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Well, today we were mooned twice by rafters on the Colorado River today.
    Its all about making memories Mick

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Its all about making memories Mick
    It made a memory for the Grandma sitting next to me in the lounge car. She was quicker than me and got a snapshot of the second one.
    Real Fan since 1958

Unforgettable

Mick, Ed says he is jealous.

First because you are single

Second, the great trip

He did say he thought it was a great trip for you and in secret he wishes he was single

Keep enjoying

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Mick, Ed says he is jealous.

First because you are single

Second, the great trip

He did say he thought it was a great trip for you and in secret he wishes he was single

Keep enjoying
    Wish I had read this earlier today. We passed through Jackson about noon. I would have been happy to have picked him up. Is this the wife that wasn't happy living with him in Starkville?
    Real Fan since 1958

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Wish I had read this earlier today. We passed through Jackson about noon. I would have been happy to have picked him up. Is this the wife that wasn't happy living with him in Starkville?
    One and the same

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    One and the same
    Hope she is a goodcook.
    Real Fan since 1958

Awesome to follow along with your travels!
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Fab Five

Coastie, I appreciate your suggestions on San Francisco. We had a great time! Dinner was excellent. It's hard to sift through all the restaurants that SF has to offer. Next visit I am headed to Wine Country. It will be sooner rather than later. Life is too short.
    Real Fan since 1958

Not the same thing, but wife took the Crescent City Classic from Birmingham to New Orleans earlier this week to spend a few days with her family in New Orleans, celebrating some...I don't know what. Do you really need an excuse to celebrate in New Orleans?

Picking her up at the train station today. She told me she enjoyed the train, but it was cold. She always has a sweater or something with her--she's from New Orleans, and 75 degrees is "cold" to her.

Looking forward to the new Murder on the Orient Express movie :P
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Not the same thing, but wife took the Crescent City Classic from Birmingham to New Orleans earlier this week to spend a few days with her family in New Orleans, celebrating some...I don't know what. Do you really need an excuse to celebrate in New Orleans?

Picking her up at the train station today. She told me she enjoyed the train, but it was cold. She always has a sweater or something with her--she's from New Orleans, and 75 degrees is "cold" to her.
    It is always cold on the train
    Real Fan since 1958