Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Aboard

Fab Five

All Aboard

Began my 24 day rail adventure this afternoon. On the Crescent headed to New Orleans. Hope I am up to it.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Re: All Aboard

Have fun and be safe. Will enjoy hearing about your travels.

Fab Five

I am on my way to san Antonio, LA, San Francisco, Reno, Grand Junction and Denver. In SF I will meet up wth daughter and son-in-law. In Grand Junction I will go over to Moab and do some hiking. And in Denver I have tickets to RedRocks where I will see Tedeschi Trucks Band. If anyone has suggestions for these places let me know!
    Real Fan since 1958

Please let me know how you enjoy it; particularly the Birmingham to New Orleans leg.

Have a great time.

If Mrs. BEvans had been posting on the Travel Bucket List thread, your trip would be the one she would list. She really wants to take a long train trip through the country. Enjoy!
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Please let me know how you enjoy it; particularly the Birmingham to New Orleans leg.

Have a great time.
    Thanks. Of course the train to NOLA especially on Friday afternoon is a party train. If you are looking for the Quiet Car it is not on this train. It is nothing to keep you from reading or listening to good music.
    Real Fan since 1958

I remember back in the old days taking the Southwest Friday late afternoon flight to New Orleans. Fun times. The whole plane was pre-gaming.

Fab Five

I remember back in the old days taking the Southwest Friday late afternoon flight to New Orleans. Fun times. The whole plane was pre-gaming.
    Those were great flights. I remember them well. On my way back to the dining car, I noted the two cars I walked through were much quieter. They were passengers picked up mostly in the Carolinas and Atlanta. The car I am riding in is mostly people who boarded in Birmingham.
    Real Fan since 1958

All Aboard

Forward information on booking the trip you are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

I will when I have a few minutes. Just boarded in NOLA for San Anton. Riding today on the top level of a double decker. My shortest stay ever in NOLA but I will return

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    The car I am riding in is mostly people who boarded in Birmingham.
    Given that the Alabama authorities have had to crack down on the rampant and uncontrolled alcoholic pitcher consumption in the state, I'd say it's little surprise the Bama passengers would be more rowdy.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Given that the Alabama authorities have had to crack down on the rampant and uncontrolled alcoholic pitcher consumption in the state, I'd say it's little surprise the Bama passengers would be more rowdy.
    They were a bit rowdy, but not obnoxious and nothing to keep you from enjoying the trip. This morning it is really nice. Walked a mile from my hotel in the warehouse district to the passenger station. It was as pleasant as it could be with a 75 degree dew point and 100% humidity. I passed a hundred or so people who were in town for a fitness convention. I was hoping to see some good looking women in their spandex outfits. Unfortunately it was the biggest collection of knee braces, elbow braces, ankle braces, headbands and homely looking women I have ever observed. Lots of wrinkled and cracked skin.

In contrast there was an African American women's religous convention also in town. At 6:45 am these women were dressed in their finest clothes and jewelry and were absolutely stunning.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Have a great time.
    Darrell, the train was an hour late into NOLA, but not a big deal. As crazy as it sounds the Penn Station construction has wreaked havoc on the Crescent. But I have a suggestion for you. If you ever need about 5 hours of uninterrupted work time to read or write, the train is perfect! I spent much of the time sorting through files and editing playlists. This were actiities I would never have done at home.
    Real Fan since 1958

All Aboard

Darrell, the train was an hour late into NOLA, but not a big deal. As crazy as it sounds the Penn Station construction has wreaked havoc on the Crescent. But I have a suggestion for you. If you ever need about 5 hours of uninterrupted work time to read or write, the train is perfect! I spent much of the time sorting through files and editing playlists. This were actiities I would never have done at home.
    Great suggestion. I could see backing up photos and videos on external hard drives, organizing photos on laptop, doing "real" work, or just reading a book or books on Kindle.

Dumb questions that I probably could look up.

* Does the train have electrical outlets for plugging in if needed?

* Wi-fi availability?

* If no Wi-fi availability, how's the general cell phone coverage for a hot spot? I have a poor reception provider compared to many (T-Mobile), so your answer may not apply.

* Are there tables available (even very small ones, just big enough for a small laptop) for use besides at the dining car?

I'm not sure I'd want to spend that long on the train just buying my head in a laptop, but just wondering about the availability...

All Aboard

They were a bit rowdy, but not obnoxious and nothing to keep you from enjoying the trip. This morning it is really nice. Walked a mile from my hotel in the warehouse district to the passenger station. It was as pleasant as it could be with a 75 degree dew point and 100% humidity. I passed a hundred or so people who were in town for a fitness convention. I was hoping to see some good looking women in their spandex outfits. Unfortunately it was the biggest collection of knee braces, elbow braces, ankle braces, headbands and homely looking women I have ever observed. Lots of wrinkled and cracked skin.

In contrast there was an African American women's religous convention also in town. At 6:45 am these women were dressed in their finest clothes and jewelry and were absolutely stunning.
    You are lucky you were walking that early in the morning. You'll be drenched a little later in the day. You may have been by that time. I love New Orleans, but mid-July... Not sure there is a good time to be outside

Fab Five

Great suggestion. I could see backing up photos and videos on external hard drives, organizing photos on laptop, doing "real" work, or just reading a book or books on Kindle.

Dumb questions that I probably could look up.

* Does the train have electrical outlets for plugging in if needed?

* Wi-fi availability?

* If no Wi-fi availability, how's the general cell phone coverage for a hot spot? I have a poor reception provider compared to many (T-Mobile), so your answer may not apply.

* Are there tables available (even very small ones, just big enough for a small laptop) for use besides at the dining car?

I'm not sure I'd want to spend that long on the train just buying my head in a laptop, but just wondering about the availability...
    I am currently in New Iberia, LA

There is an electrical plug at each seat. Crescent has wi-fi available throughout the train. You have to picture your legs having as much room as any place in your home. Seats are plenty.wide, almost lazyboy room. The seats in front of me are fully reclined and I don't even recognize it. I mention all of this because it is a stark contrast to the cabin on a plane or the comfort of a charter bus. This morning there is no noise and I have the wonderful scenery of the South Louisiana rice fields and paddies.

The only wi-fi on the Sunset Limited to LA is in the lounge/cafe. I believe we may pick it up throughout the train in San Antonio. All trains on the East Coast have it I believe. I have had little trouble with the cell signal. With the wi-fi there is just an occassional outage. Nothing significant.

The Crescent has a cafe/lounge. This train also has a dining car for sit down service. I have a dinner reservation tonight at 8. The cafe/lounge cars have small tables, but I find my seat table more comfortable and private to use. There is an on train web site that is much like Uber. It shows you where the train is, how fast it is going and estimated arrival times. (All something the airlines could do but don't).

I don't find myself moving around the train as much as I thought I would. I am content where I am.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Well, I headed to the lounge car. Nice experience. Partially domed roof. Chairs face the windows. Watched an afternoon thunderstorm blow up in South Louisiana. Really neat.

I just remembered my seat has an upholstered foot rest, very much as you would find on a lazyboy.
    Real Fan since 1958

Cool experience. Much better than the greyhound I took years ago (leave the driving to someone else... Was picking up a car in a town with a tiny airport.)

Unforgettable

Mick, enjoy yourself, it will be a great trip to remember. Glad you could retire and enjoy this before you get my age

Fab Five

Cool experience. Much better than the greyhound I took years ago (leave the driving to someone else... Was picking up a car in a town with a tiny airport.)
    When it comes to service and comfort, don't think in terms of commercial bus or an airline. The airlines have been servicing the American public for years.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

I just want to live as long as you skip!
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

Boss, i did all the initial work on the Amtrak site. I first bought a rail pass.(it was about $688 for a 30 day pass with 12 stops). 15 day pass is under $500. I then decided where I wanted to go. Now I am using stops I don't want such as LA and New Orleans for a second time. I also am missing out on Salt Lake City just because I didn't want to get off the train in the middle of the night. But I will get to see Glenwood Canyon with someone else driving, which is one of the purposes of the trip.

With a rail pass, you can buy the pass on-line but you can't book the segments on-line. That turned out better as I had a few questions about the pass they answered. Also you have to pick up the pass and tickets in person. A 15 day pass would have been easier to decide where to go. 30 days takes a lot of planning.

One other wrinkle was the need to be in certain cities at certain times. I am meeting my daughter in SF at a time they can take off work. That was after I bought tickets to Red Rocks amphitheater in Denver. The net result was It squeezed the time I am spending in San Antonio and Austin. I am not complaining, it is just detail planning. It is causing me to wing it a bit on what I am going to do while I am in some cities. For examples I don't have a place to stay in LA and I don't have a good idea of what I will do. I am not concerned about it though. If nothing else I can go to the beach and a Dodgers' game. They are playing the damn Braves.

But if you have questions I'll be glad to help.
    Real Fan since 1958

All Aboard

Boss, i did all the initial work on the Amtrak site. I first bought a rail pass.(it was about $688 for a 30 day pass with 12 stops). 15 day pass is under $500. I then decided where I wanted to go. Now I am using stops I don't want such as LA and New Orleans for a second time. I also am missing out on Salt Lake City just because I didn't want to get off the train in the middle of the night. But I will get to see Glenwood Canyon with someone else driving, which is one of the purposes of the trip.

With a rail pass, you can buy the pass on-line but you can't book the segments on-line. That turned out better as I had a few questions about the pass they answered. Also you have to pick up the pass and tickets in person. A 15 day pass would have been easier to decide where to go. 30 days takes a lot of planning.

One other wrinkle was the need to be in certain cities at certain times. I am meeting my daughter in SF at a time they can take off work. That was after I bought tickets to Red Rocks amphitheater in Denver. The net result was It squeezed the time I am spending in San Antonio and Austin. I am not complaining, it is just detail planning. It is causing me to wing it a bit on what I am going to do while I am in some cities. For examples I don't have a place to stay in LA and I don't have a good idea of what I will do. I am not concerned about it though. If nothing else I can go to the beach and a Dodgers' game. They are playing the damn Braves.

But if you have questions I'll be glad to help.
    With the Amtrak pass is that coach or do you get a sleepette/ bedroom?

When you arrive in a city do you book your own hotel and arrange travel to and from the station?

Obviously all your dining on the train is in the dining car how's the prices and the food.

I looked up a scenic trip on American Rail Tours and a 14 day western trip listed for around $3300/person but included all hotel accommodations, side tours, and meals. It came with a coach seat which as you described sound nice and spacious. Roomettes were $645 extra while bedrooms were $1395 extra.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

My travel is coach. I only have one or two nights that I stay on the train and decided the upgrade to sleeper is not worth it. Besides I didn't want to be in a room all day. I make my own hotel arrangements from 69$ to 170$. I have 7 nights out of 20 using points.

Prices I find reasonable. Tonights dinner was 16.95 for a chicken breast, vegetables, potato and salad. Veggies. Had been frozen but well prepared. $4 for a can of ginger ale, $6 for a margarita, $7 for a bourbon. I don't each much anymore. Hotel breakfast and evening dinner. Snack on mixed nuts and raisins during the day. Not counting meals,(a cost I would have if I stayed home anyway), i'll spend $3500 to $4000 for 25 days. A week at the beach cost me more than that.
    Real Fan since 1958

Mick thanks for sharing your trip and experience!
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Mick thanks for sharing your trip and experience!
    I am having a blast! I had a spectacular trip up the California Coast yesterday. The shoreline in places was no more than 50 yards away. I have met some of the most fascinating people along the way. So friendly you would think they were all raised in Kentucky!
    Real Fan since 1958

Sounds like an amazing trip! One to remember!
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Do you know what the cruising speed of the train is in open country? Also when going thru towns do you get to see a lot of back yards?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Good questions guys. I was curious about seeing wildlife. As in "animals" of course.

This sounds like an awesome experience. I'm a little envious Mick
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-23-2017 at 08:41 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

IMG_0370.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Do you know what the cruising speed of the train is in open country? Also when going thru towns do you get to see a lot of back yards?
    Speed is all over the place. But if it concerns you, take the plane or drive. 75 or 80 is likely top speed. You see back yards, dumps and front yards. Coming up the coast we were less than 10 to 20 yards from the shore. No road not even 101 was in sight. Climb through the mountains coming out of san Luis Obispo was breath taking. What you see is unvarnished America. Watching the wildlife is fun Especially the two mule deer we saw in the middle of nowhere in South Texas.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-24-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958