Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Unforgettable

Re: Greg McIlroy blasts Matt Elam

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    That just gives more credence to McElroy persistence in talking about how Elam is wasting his talent. He,s thinking that if Saban offered him he must be great. I,m not saying Matt is maximizing what talent he has but I still think he was probably overrated. Let,s see what happens this year. I haven,t heard about any off field problems and he seems like a good teammate. When we were presented the Governor,s Cup Noone showed more joy than him
    He is saying he had the 'potential' to be great and that is why Bama offered, potential just like every other kid they offer. Its why 5 star players don't ever start at Bama or not until late in their career. Greg didn't come up to that conclusion on his own, he is too good for that, he has been told by someone on the staff at UK what Elam is.
    Might be a great kid, but anyone with that size and potential that can get whipped by one person every game, that refuses to get down to a good playing weight, that could have made millions in the NFL, lazy and as they said when I was growing up, no gumption
    Last edited by jazyd; 07-15-2017 at 07:31 PM.

He was close to the weight they wanted last year. He,s a huge human being. 350 probably best he could do, last year maybe 360. Look at Jacob Hyde, he,s something like 320 at 6,2. Matt at least 6,5. I think Saban, Stoops, recruiting analysts had him rated too highly

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Article: criticism went too far, too personal.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-c...161598538.html
    I don't think you have to read Stoops comments too closely to see that he believes Elam's work ethic and self-discipline are llacking. How far of a stretch is it from there to lazy? Opinions will vary, but I say it is not much of one.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-16-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I don't think you have to read Stoops comments too closely to see that he believes Elam's work ethic and self-discipline are llacking. How far of a stretch is it from there to lazy? Opinions will vary, but I say it is not much of one.
    He absolutely cannot control himself away from the team IMO. He's out of shape from being too overweight and definitely takes plays off because he can barely stay in a three point stance because of his belly.

If he signed with UK now he wouldn't last two years before he was processed out.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Elam is lazy. Has not met his potential. Is a let down.

That's not justification for what GM did in my opinion. The world needs more grace and class. GM is trying to advance his own career by publicly humiliating a college football player. There are plenty of distinguished ways GM could have made his point without going down this road.

Matt Elam was right at 400 lbs when he entered UK, so to think he hasn,t worked hard would be incorrect. To say he hasn,t worked hard enough or always stuck to a proper diet would probably.be accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Article: criticism went too far, too personal.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-c...161598538.html
    Basically a rehash of Skal. A player over ranked and overhyped by gurus and analysts during recruitment, then fails to meet those poor evaluators goals, and the player is seen as failing. I say it is the evaluator that blew it, not the player

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

I think you,re right Doc

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Elam is lazy. Has not met his potential. Is a let down.

That's not justification for what GM did in my opinion. The world needs more grace and class. GM is trying to advance his own career by publicly humiliating a college football player. There are plenty of distinguished ways GM could have made his point without going down this road.
    Yep

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Jack Handey ,

Elam was only ranked a 5 star by 247sports. He was ranked a 3 star by rivals and the 5th best player in the state. Adding to his hype was the fact he was offered by Saban, Ohio State, Not re Dame and others.

UK Media Guide. Hoping for a great year from Big Daddy. Never too late.

1 matt elam.jpg

Fiddlin' Five

We all hope that Elam will step up and be a factor for Kentucky on the D-line this season.
    Past performance has left a lot to be desired, no doubt. But it's a new season, so maybe the light has come on for him and he can live up to the potential most of us thought that he had.
    Elam has to "want it". But only he can determine that.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Elam was only ranked a 5 star by 247sports. He was ranked a 3 star by rivals and the 5th best player in the state. Adding to his hype was the fact he was offered by Saban, Ohio State, Not re Dame and others.
    Terry, you must think we all had a short memory. You let us know daily that Elam was a 5 star stud who turned down Bama for UK.

Now, there is another way to look at this and I wouldn't be surprised that it happened. After 3 years Elam is a bust, period, and lazy. Doesn't matter if he lost 200 pounds, he is nor in shape nor is he strong. He doesn't even get double teamed as big as he is. and he certainly cannot chase anyone down that isn't up the middle.

So it would not surprise me one bit if a staff member didn't tell GM this in hopes that what Greg said publicly on the SEC network wouldn't motivate Elam fnallly in his last year. He can still make a big name for himself, get drafted and make a ton of money, IF he wants it. So far it doesn't appear that he does. He now has been called out publically, embarrassed hopefully, and I bet the staff hopes it pushed him. If this doesn't, they will know soon and he will ride the end of the bench until he breaks it. Its such a shame that someone with those skill sets, that size, that could make millions, just doesn't care