Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rupp's Runt

Greg McIlroy blasts Matt Elam

I believe the quote speaks for itself. If Matt needs another push, maybe this is it.

"This defensive line, they need to be issued a challenge because this was an embarrassing effort last year, particularly the former 5-star Matt Elam who's as lazy and as underachieving a player as I've seen in this league in some time."
    Real Fan since 1958

Courtney Love said he sent Greg McElroy's comments to Matt Elam right away. "We hold each other accountable." Says Matt will respond.

Love: "When one guy gets called out, that’s all of us getting called out.”

Stoops: “I’m not ever going to condone anybody singling out anybody.”

Re: Greg McIlroy blasts Matt Elam

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Not the comment I would look for from a head coach. jmho
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

It's not fair for me to comment on Football since I am not really a football guy, but I saw this posted on Facebook and many UK fans were posting under it that they share this opinion of Elam. In fact some pretty strong words from some UK fans about him.

Peace

Richard (CW)

CW, one does not have to know much about football if they watch a few games and watch Elam on the field to render a similar opinion to the one shared by McElroy.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Rupp's Runt

McIlroy wasn't impressed with the play of the entire Dline. In so many words he said the linebackers had to cover for them. Stata are on McIlroy's side of the discussion.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fiddlin' Five

Well, let's see if it lights a fire under somebody's a$$. It sure would fire me up. But then again too, I've never, ever been accused of being lazy.
    MOLON LABE!

Fiddlin' Five

Maybe someone should? ESPECIALLY the D-line, which was practically MIA for all of last season.......
    MOLON LABE!

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Maybe someone should? ESPECIALLY the D-line, which was practically MIA for all of last season.......
    Especially against FLORIDA, who scored 45 points against Kentucky last year. Florida didn't score 45 points, or get anywhere close to that against any other opponent they played the rest of the way last season. So, yeah, the pointed comments are on cue........
    MOLON LABE!

Sorry, I don't find this funny or appropriate. Don't single him out. Not saying it's not accurate. Just highly bush league. I guess I'm old fashion and would prefer a bit more class.

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Sorry, I don't find this funny or appropriate. Don't single him out. Not saying it's not accurate. Just highly bush league. I guess I'm old fashion and would prefer a bit more class.
    It's questionable even for a media person to call out a single player in college this strongly, but it's a tough balance between honest critique and just bashing a guy. I think that line has to favor the player when it's a college guy.

But his results have been questionable, and his conditioning is part of that, and that makes him an easy target for criticism about commitment and work ethic, etc. I'm not condoning it, I had a couple of good lines I almost posted on this and passed b/c they were at his expense, but there is a fair role for criticism by a media person even if it's not pretty.

But it is a fine line, and should avoid speculation. Maybe Elam hasn't lived up to the expectations b/c of effort, but maybe it's something else. Saying he hasn't lived up to the 5* ranking is honest, presuming he's lazy is more questionable imo.

But guys here aren't wrong, you can watch the players play and tell who is out there playing like their lives depended on it and who just hasn't found that next gear. It may not be laziness, but you can tell the difference.

One positive reason you see it is guys who are too unselfish, esp. in basketball. I often called on Darius Miller to do more not b/c he was lazy but b/c he deferred to others instead of just going and dunking on someone.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's questionable even for a media person to call out a single player in college this strongly, but it's a tough balance between honest critique and just bashing a guy. I think that line has to favor the player when it's a college guy.

But his results have been questionable, and his conditioning is part of that, and that makes him an easy target for criticism about commitment and work ethic, etc. I'm not condoning it, I had a couple of good lines I almost posted on this and passed b/c they were at his expense, but there is a fair role for criticism by a media person even if it's not pretty.

But it is a fine line, and should avoid speculation. Maybe Elam hasn't lived up to the expectations b/c of effort, but maybe it's something else. Saying he hasn't lived up to the 5* ranking is honest, presuming he's lazy is more questionable imo.

But guys here aren't wrong, you can watch the players play and tell who is out there playing like their lives depended on it and who just hasn't found that next gear. It may not be laziness, but you can tell the difference.

One positive reason you see it is guys who are too unselfish, esp. in basketball. I often called on Darius Miller to do more not b/c he was lazy but b/c he deferred to others instead of just going and dunking on someone.
    Maybe it's coaching?

Maybe it's coaching?
    Not saying it's not. The way to test that is to see if most guys are developing and the guys who aren't are outliers or if a large enough number of guys aren't living up to expectations.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Not many on defense are developing at all

Rupp's Runt

Not many on defense are developing at all
    Kentucky was 85th in total defense last year and 110th in rushing defense. I believe this points to the defensive line being a total mess. Linebackers and dbacks are fair to middlin'.
    Real Fan since 1958

Have seen where either linebacker or defensive backfield was ranked 3rd in SEC by someone. I think we,re in pretty good shape there. The Dline is probably biggest question mark on team

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Not the comment I would look for from a head coach. jmho
    I take that as a do not single anybody out in public.

Quote Originally Posted by wes011 View Post
    I take that as a do not single anybody out in public.
    Your take is probably much better than mine. I do agree that a coach should not single out any player in public when they are not doing well. However, I see nothing wrong with a journalist or talking head doing just that, especially if the comments are made after watching the player for 3 years, and never having said anything negative prior to this
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I don't like it at all. Bush league was about right.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." — Jack Handey ,

Dan - as a fan I absolutely appreciate ole GM blasting our guys...keeps us from having to do it and gets the point across to the players. Now we can just cheer him on.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by wes011 View Post
    Dan - as a fan I absolutely appreciate ole GM blasting our guys...keeps us from having to do it and gets the point across to the players. Now we can just cheer him on.
    That is pretty much my take on the situation. These guys on SEC network are calling out players and coaches. They all seem to have an edge. I think ol Paul has taken most under his wing. GM is doing what he did when he was QB at AL. You hold your teammates accountable. My take is he didn't think ME's teammates were holding him accountable. I don't have a problem with it. It is what needs to happen. Too many people have made excuses for Elam for too long and you can see the results.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fiddlin' Five

I agree with Mick.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    That is pretty much my take on the situation. These guys on SEC network are calling out players and coaches. They all seem to have an edge. I think ol Paul has taken most under his wing. GM is doing what he did when he was QB at AL. You hold your teammates accountable. My take is he didn't think ME's teammates were holding him accountable. I don't have a problem with it. It is what needs to happen. Too many people have made excuses for Elam for too long and you can see the results.
    I can guarantee GM has this atitude not just based on what he has seen but what he has been told.

Says he,s watched a lot of film. I hope Matt proves me wrong but I think McElroy thinking he,s more talented than he is because Saban offered him. Good chance Matt was overrated coming out of hs. Remember how Morgan Newton was rated a 5 star by at least one service

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    I can guarantee GM has this atitude not just based on what he has seen but what he has been told.
    I agree. The SEC Network guys do get the real scoop. They spend a lot of time looking at nothing but those 14 schools. My guess is GM knows exactly why Elam is not at alaBama.
    Real Fan since 1958

I personally talked to Matt and his hs coach so I know for sure he was wanted by Saban and Bama

That just gives more credence to McElroy persistence in talking about how Elam is wasting his talent. He,s thinking that if Saban offered him he must be great. I,m not saying Matt is maximizing what talent he has but I still think he was probably overrated. Let,s see what happens this year. I haven,t heard about any off field problems and he seems like a good teammate. When we were presented the Governor,s Cup Noone showed more joy than him

Article: criticism went too far, too personal.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-c...161598538.html