Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Re: USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I just got off the phone with a client who is also a good friend that lives in Hopkinsville. He often curses when he is really upset, and he was really upset. He was on a mission to go to his local bank, and was stuck in traffic. Said the local police were setting up barricades and rerouting traffic to the point that the locals could not get where they needed to go. He told me that when he could get out of the ^%$#^%#%$#^%$ traffic jam he was in, he was going home to pick up his wife and a few things and leave town until next Wednesday.
    We came to my in-laws' in Dawson Springs. Not on the center line, but close enough and we're not having to deal with all the mess.

USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Bump...

Just a reminder in case you forgot the start/stop times for the area you're in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Fun day so far....3 hours of sleep, hot, have not stopped yet, one guy trying to climb on the roof of our LRC.....

Hope you all enjoy!

My NAM cloud prediction:

1 NAM clouds.JPG

My GFS cloud prediction:

1 GFS clouds.JPG

My looking out the window prediction: not a cloud in the sky.

1 eclipse bham.JPG

I'll be viewing from home today. The school district decided midweek last week to close, due to liability issues. Borrowed four pairs of glasses from our science department for today.

When I checked last week the glasses were being bid way up on eBay.

Moved our family to Dans neck of the woods. Basil Griffin Park in Bowling Green. Not real crowded either and a nice place.

"Shame on the moon"

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

kingcat, while you are there, might want to take time to check out the airpark display. They have a few war birds on display at the north east corner of the park.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bad Eclipse Joke of the Day...

Q: "Are you going to watch the eclipse?"

A: "I decided I would turn a blind eye to it."
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Bombino
    Just finished here is Salem. Wow!!!! That was entirely worth it. Truly mind blowing.

That's the wildest thing ever The shadows were so strange and the night sounds started right before total eclipse
    The forest sounds are already back to normal

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Circada bug on my doorstep was confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Bad Eclipse Joke of the Day...

Q: "Are you going to watch the eclipse?"

A: "I decided I would turn a blind eye to it."
    I was about to throw you some shade for that one but I'll let you slide because I know you have a dark sense of humor.

Last edited by blueboss; 08-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Here in the Louisville area we had roughly 96% of totality. I thought it would be a lot darker than it got at it's peak. It just shows how powerful the sun is.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Here in the Louisville area we had roughly 96% of totality. I thought it would be a lot darker than it got at it's peak. It just shows how powerful the sun is.

Same. We were only 92%, but still a lot of light. Powerful.

I was about to throw you some shade for that one but I'll let you slide because I know you have a dark sense of humor.
    That joke was so bad, I may have to pop the top on a Corona.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

I have 4 sets of eclipse glasses I will sell for $200 total. Any takers?

Over the shoulder behind the back with a torn rotator cuff shot...

Rupp's Runt

Despite all the work I really enjoyed it. It was a good day for HCC. One more speaker to go and I'll be home about 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    That joke was so bad, I may have to pop the top on a Corona.
    Don't drink too many, you don't want to black out.

Rupp's Runt

If you see any footage from the AP in Hopkinsville, I played a part in that. Could be my claim to fame....

If I get our balloon footage, I'll post that on here. We had a balloon in near space during the eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    If you see any footage from the AP in Hopkinsville, I played a part in that. Could be my claim to fame....

If I get our balloon footage, I'll post that on here. We had a balloon in near space during the eclipse.
    Would love to see the balloon footage.

We were about the same.

Far more light than I anticipated, but interesting other effects. First, it was a lot darker IMO than we perceived. We have an "OPEN" sign on our business that is neon, and on a full sun day it's so washed out that it's almost hard to tell it's on. It was bright as day during the eclipse. There was a huge reduction in light even though it wasn't "dark".

Also, it wasn't hot. Usually you are out in the sun and you can feel that heat on your skin. It got cool during the eclipse, at least not warm.

Would have been interesting to be in the totality, but it was interesting at 95% too.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The twilight leading up to the total eclipse looked weird, not at all like twilight when the sun is setting. It went from twilight to dark in the blink of an eye. I did not blink but it was just like I flipped a light switch in the house, and when it was over it was light again without fading to twilight. I did get to see the diamond ring and that is one odd phenomenon. The light that makes the diamond is brilliant white light, not an orange light that we normally see from the sun.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Same. We were only 92%, but still a lot of light. Powerful.
    I was surprised at how light it was at 92%.

FWIW, the April 2024 eclipse path goes through Kentucky. It will be a bit closer for those of us in the Eastern part of the state.

Bombino

For those that didn't go through the totality, it is something to behold. Even at 99.9% the sun is too bright to look at. It is really trips the mind a bit, as it gets darker and darker. We are so used to dusk including the oranges and reds before dark that the transition into darkness, that the eclipse transition feels weird and wrong. It almost feels like you have sunglasses on, but with a slightly metallic feel. When the totality hits though, EVERYTHING goes beyond words. Seeing the corona of the sun is just incredible. Describing it as a diamond ring is very apt. It has colors in certain areas, bright iridescent textures. I literally had seeing a total eclipse as a life goal. It was almost a religious experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    For those that didn't go through the totality, it is something to behold. Even at 99.9% the sun is too bright to look at. It is really trips the mind a bit, as it gets darker and darker. We are so used to dusk including the oranges and reds before dark that the transition into darkness, that the eclipse transition feels weird and wrong. It almost feels like you have sunglasses on, but with a slightly metallic feel. When the totality hits though, EVERYTHING goes beyond words. Seeing the corona of the sun is just incredible. Describing it as a diamond ring is very apt. It has colors in certain areas, bright iridescent textures. I literally had seeing a total eclipse as a life goal. It was almost a religious experience for me.
    I felt the same. As totality descended, so did a slow developing roar of excitement from the crowd. My four grandchildren,(2,5, 7, and 12 were yelling and dancing around. It was surreal.

Well, just saw on the news that Hopkinsville was a breeze getting to to watch the big show... getting home on the other hand was not so breezy.

People were saying it took them 7-8 hours to make the 3-4 hour drive home.... kind of tarnished their experience.

Just like with most things, I'm sure there's a good story for every bad story.

We've got a little less than seven years to plan the next one to arrive in North America,4-8-2024.

boss, I had a business engagement today in Lexington that required an overnight stay in Lex. I left BG at 2:00 pm CDT yesterday and got to the hotel at 8:05 pm EDT last night. Traffic northbound on I-65 was 3 lanes of maddening frustration for me. The trip is normally 2 1/2 hours for me and it took 5 hours yesterday. Southbound traffic was perfectly normal, but northbound was wall to wall cars and trucks, and it was way more cars than trucks which is a bit unusual for that stretch of road.
    seeya
    dan