Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I was reading an article from somewhere, and may have been from here. The article pointed out that it was much more important to watch the weather than the percentage of eclipse, as that could be an absolute destroyer of your experience.
    Yup. Planning on a trip to Hopkinsville is great, BUT if it is forecast to be mostly cloudy there on that day, then a trip to Franklin or Bowling Green with a forecast of mostly sunny that day might pay off in spades. I am taking my chances to see it from my back yard and will not be traveling, but the NWS forecast 2 days out is your friend for the viewing public.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I wonder how a welding helmet would work for the eclipse? I have one of those auto darkening helmets and thought my wife may be able to use it at home.

If it has a #14 tint lens in it, it should be fine for her to use. I plan on using mine
    seeya
    dan

7 days out the NWS is predicting Sun and a high of 88 for Hoptown and the southern tier of counties for eclipse day. That looks good but 7 days out is not as reliable as 2 days out.

Same forecast holds true for the Louisville area and on out to Lexington and Morehead. Looks like the entire state is gonna be bathed in sunlight
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 08-14-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    seeya
    dan

crap. forgot to order my viewer thingies.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have 4 being held for me today at a local drug store.

Updated NWS forecast for BG

Monday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.
    seeya
    dan

Monday weather for Hoptown per NWS

Monday
    A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
    seeya
    dan

Picked up 4 solar eclipse glasses from a local pharmacy today. Crazy how hard it was to find waiting til a week or two before the event.

Picked up 4 solar eclipse glasses from a local pharmacy today. Crazy how hard it was to find waiting til a week or two before the event.
    I wasn't real happy with Amazon or their vendor. They price gouged a bit. Went from $100 for a 10 pair pack last week to $130. Not a huge deal, and I get it, but just a slight rubbing of my fur the wrong way since it's Amazon.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I wasn't real happy with Amazon or their vendor. They price gouged a bit. Went from $100 for a 10 pair pack last week to $130. Not a huge deal, and I get it, but just a slight rubbing of my fur the wrong way since it's Amazon.
    I was only charged $20 for the four combined, but I thought it was a little odd that the instructions said to "take at night time."

You sure you didn't mix them up with your little blue pills?
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    You sure you didn't mix them up with your little blue pills?
    I'm married. The need for little blue pills evaporated with the birth of the last child!

I just got off the phone with a client who is also a good friend that lives in Hopkinsville. He often curses when he is really upset, and he was really upset. He was on a mission to go to his local bank, and was stuck in traffic. Said the local police were setting up barricades and rerouting traffic to the point that the locals could not get where they needed to go. He told me that when he could get out of the ^%$#^%#%$#^%$ traffic jam he was in, he was going home to pick up his wife and a few things and leave town until next Wednesday.
    seeya
    dan

I was disappointed the local pharmacy did not have the solar eclipse glasses in stock for Wednesday, as I had one pair for my daughter in Georgia that we were moving into college that day. But she said today they have them for the students on Monday, so that's good.

Good luck to those of you traveling. Be safe.

I was only charged $20 for the four combined, but I thought it was a little odd that the instructions said to "take at night time."
    I ordered a 5 pack of glasses for $8 about a month ago. Out of curiosity I logged in to see what they were going for now--they were back ordered until Monday (which won't help anybody), but 3rd party vendors were selling them for $50/pair.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I ordered a 5 pack of glasses for $8 about a month ago. Out of curiosity I logged in to see what they were going for now--they were back ordered until Monday (which won't help anybody), but 3rd party vendors were selling them for $50/pair.
    Now that really is gouging.

I thought this was important enough to create a separate thread on it, but also wanted to put it here. If you do not have any solar eclipse glasses, spend 5 minutes or less, and make this super easy pinhole projector out of a cereal box and a piece of aluminum foil.

This is from the Samford University head of the planetarium. He did 9 presentations yesterday. He is uber-pumped about it. They gave our 1400 pairs of glasses, free, but he's out and recommends this (He didn't create the video, but this is the one he recommended.)

Super easy. Probably a better experience, frankly. I'm thinking about doing both.

I have my glasses, but it looks like old school kid like fun to make one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I have my glasses, but it looks like old school kid like fun to make one of those.
    I'm making one for sure.

Latest NWS forecast for Hoptown, and Bowling Green

Monday
    Sunny, with a high near 91. Calm wind becoming south southeast around 5 mph in the morning.

Forecast for Lexington is just as good right now
    seeya
    dan

I'm making one for sure.
    I have built several over the years and they work great
    seeya
    dan

Making mine tomorrow.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Glasses going for fifty a pop around here. My daughter just drove down Dan's way (BG) to get some.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I do not need a pair or ten, but am curious how much they are going for here.
    seeya
    dan

NWS is predicting sunshine and toasty temps statewide for tomorrow.

Everyone take the necessary viewing precautions and be safe during your travels.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I do not need a pair or ten, but am curious how much they are going for here.
    She just gave two bucks a pop. At the Visitors Center.

The city should be commended for that.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-20-2017 at 11:56 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    She just gave two bucks a pop. At the Visitors Center
    Nice.

I know nobody there would be interested, but a small variety store in Mountain Brook (Birmingham) opens in 15 minutes today. They picked up 10,000 pair last night they will be selling for $7.99 each today.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    She just gave two bucks a pop. At the Visitors Center.

The city should be commended for that.
    Thanks for the info
    seeya
    dan