Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Bombino

USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

I am damn excited about this as I have never seen a total eclipse. It is occuring on August 21st of this year. It looks like far Western Kentucky is along the path for the total 100% eclipse, the midpoint goes RIGHT through NE Hopkinsville. It includes Bowling Green on the far eastern edge of 100% coverage and Land Between the Lakes and Paducah on the west side. I am travelling down to Oregon from the Seattle area so that I can see the perfect eclipse, plan to drive most of the night so that I can setup early and get a good spot. As a space geek, this is really really exciting.

Rupp's Runt
    I would be excited. But we are closing the campus and selling tickets for viewing. Going to be a loooong day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt
    Pedro, not sure what you are calling early. But Mr. Eclipse spoke at our campus a few weeks ago. He said that arriving somewhere at 6:00 would be too late for a good spot.

Pretty excited, I am actually changing my travel plans. We'll be in Chicago that weekend and heading home Monday. I'm now planning on leaving earlier in the morning so I can get closer to the path in time.

Anybody have a time track chart that's easy to read?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Bombino

Re: USA Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Pretty excited, I am actually changing my travel plans. We'll be in Chicago that weekend and heading home Monday. I'm now planning on leaving earlier in the morning so I can get closer to the path in time.

Anybody have a time track chart that's easy to read?

No time track chart, but I had been using Eclipse2017.org. Currently, it seems like they are having some site issues. When it was working you could click anywhere onthe map and it will tell you, in the local time, what time each stage of the eclipse would start.

Closest I can find right now is this list: http://nationaleclipse.com/cities_total.html

What equipment will you have? What is safe? I clicked on the gear on the link provided, but still not too sure what should be obtained (if anything).

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    No time track chart, but I had been using Eclipse2017.org. Currently, it seems like they are having some site issues. When it was working you could click anywhere onthe map and it will tell you, in the local time, what time each stage of the eclipse would start.

Closest I can find right now is this list: http://nationaleclipse.com/cities_total.html
    Thanks for the info. Looks like where I live (Louisville) will get nearly a total eclipse. I'm going to try to head west, but if I can't I'm excited about seeing one this nearly total.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looks like where I live (Louisville) will get nearly a total eclipse. I'm going to try to head west, but if I can't I'm excited about seeing one this nearly total.
    https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    That's a great link, KentuckyWildcat.

Take a look at what I thought was pretty cool in Birmingham (similar to Louisville, I think). Then input someplace like Hopkinsville or Paducah, Ky.

I think I am going to have to travel to see this.

I did read that it's more important to check the weather where you'll be, rather than the exact place of a total eclipse. That makes sense.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    That's a great link, KentuckyWildcat.

Take a look at what I thought was pretty cool in Birmingham (similar to Louisville, I think). Then input someplace like Hopkinsville or Paducah, Ky.

I think I am going to have to travel to see this.

I did read that it's more important to check the weather where you'll be, rather than the exact place of a total eclipse. That makes sense.
    Don't come to Hopkinsville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if you do, I can put you to work for a free t-shirt

Very cool, thanks
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Don't come to Hopkinsville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if you do, I can put you to work for a free t-shirt
    T-shirts! Yessir!

Rupp's Runt

I would seriously avoid any town that is along the path of totality. Go off center of the path to a smaller town. To most people 30 minutes off of the path will not make in a difference in what they see. Hopkinsville is expecting 100,000 people that day. I've heard estimates up to 300,000 people. We are a town of 35,000..................

Rupp's Runt

T-shirts! Yessir!
    Attachment 6685

The eclipse part glows in the dark. Totally worth the drive.

What equipment will you have? What is safe? I clicked on the gear on the link provided, but still not too sure what should be obtained (if anything).
    Here's a Lifehacker article on the topic, FWIW:

https://lifehacker.com/what-to-buy-f...-yo-1796880389
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 07-13-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks, great article--good links in it, too.

Attachment 6685

I'll take a xxl.. how much?

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I'll take a xxl.. how much?

Boss, I'm not sure. I know our bookstore is selling them. Are you near Hopkinsville?

Attachment 6685

Is there an address where I can order the shirt? I can do it online if that is available or can do it by phone with a credit/debit card if that work as well
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt
    Dan, we have a Microsite but not a lot of info. I'll get more info tomorrow.

HCCeclipse.com

Our tickets sold out in about 3 weeks.

Rupp's Runt
    Btw the mods...my intent was not to sell the shirts on here lol

I looked at it like a public service bit of info. My SIL is gonna get one as a gift. He is all geeked out about photographing the event and yes he has the necessary HA filter to make it happen.

Btw the site is perfect and has a short blurb about online purchase capability coming soon.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-13-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I looked at it like a public service bit of info. My SIL is gonna get one as a gift. He is all geeked out about photographing the event and yes he has the necessary HA filter to make it happen.

Btw the site is perfect and has a short blurb about online purchase capability coming soon.
    We are also selling a limited number of throws (small blankets if that is the proper term) but they do not glow in the dark. And when I say "we" it is really Barnes and Noble, but we HCC, do get a share of the sales.

As for the photography, Dan, you and he may know this, but no one filter and camera setting can capture all of the various light from the eclipse.

I'm a tad frustrated b/c the "more info" is behind IMO....but not my department

Oh, I also know a lady selling other shirts. I can get that info as well.

We are also selling a limited number of throws (small blankets if that is the proper term) but they do not glow in the dark. And when I say "we" it is really Barnes and Noble, but we HCC, do get a share of the sales.

As for the photography, Dan, you and he may know this, but no one filter and camera setting can capture all of the various light from the eclipse. I'm a tad frustrated b/c the "more info" is behind IMO....but not my department

Oh, I also know a lady selling other shirts. I can get that info as well.
    I would love to have the info. As far as filters and camera settings are concerned he has that covered. He has been doing solar imaging for a few years now.
    seeya
    dan

Boss, I'm not sure. I know our bookstore is selling them. Are you near Hopkinsville?

Sunny side of Louisville.. bit of drive. How about cost plus s&h

Rupp's Runt

So apparently, Barnes and Noble cannot sell our shirts online because of a silly policy. But they can sell other products about the eclipse.

Blue and Dan, if you guys want the HCC shirt that I posted. I could buy them and ship them to you if want me to do that.

32 oz. Eclipse Water Bottle
    http://kctcs-vli.bncollege.com/webap...ECLIPSE%20LOGO

11 oz. Eclipse Coffee Mug
    http://kctcs-vli.bncollege.com/webap...topCatId=40350

Sweatshirt Blanket Navy
    http://kctcs-vli.bncollege.com/webap...33&graphicId=1

Sweatshirt Blanket Gray
    http://kctcs-vli.bncollege.com/webap...d=400000326758

Shirts someone locally is selling (note that I don't know anything about these or Etsy):
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThrowingSh..._shop_redirect

Thank you very much. My plan right now is to wait for the College website to open with the shirts for sale. If that falls thru, I may take you up on your kind offer.
    seeya
    dan

Bombino
    Got my eclipse glasses in! Interesting to look at the sun through them.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I picked the right time to switchs jobs to Fort Campbell. Front row seat!

Bump....

Does anybody have a best viewing schedule for the Louisville area.... time it starts etc.