Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Anybody ever use travel insurance?

We've never had to cancel a vacation, and this isn't super-expensive anyway, but the travel insurance is fairly cheap. The condo has a "no refund" policy I agree to (even if there is a tropical storm, hurricane, etc.) and I guess we've always been lucky that we haven't had bad weather or anything. I think (I haven't read the insurance yet) it also covers illness, etc. as well.

It's about 6% of the cost, which seemed reasonable if it covers a fair amount of things.

I'm sure some have purchased it before here--has anyone ever had to make a claim? How was your claim handled, and what was the circumstances?

I've never used travel insurance, but when I travel tropical it's usually outside of peak hurricane season. However I do like the tropics in the fall.

I heard an interesting travel tip the other day concerning travel insurance, more specifically hurricane season. For those who wait to by insurance closer to their travel date, once a storm is named and that named storm affects your stay the insurance is void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

We only have 10 days to decide, which is weeks before the trip. So we can't try to "game" the system. If I were an insurance company, though, I doubt I would sell it within 10 days or so of a trip. I'd be surprised if it were offered. You could really game it if you could wait that long.

Rupp's Runt
    Used it twice. Paid off once, did not the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Re: Anybody ever use travel insurance?

What were the circumstances surrounding your need to make a claim? And how easy was the claim made?

Rupp's Runt
    First was time was thru a travel agent. My wife's grandfather passed away. It has been a while but I remember the process being very easy and it paid off.

2nd time my pregnant wife's doctor did not want her to go to Florida during Zika, but no official travel ban. We filled out several pages and had the doctor sign several things as well. They denied us. This was thru whatever VRBO offered.

Thanks very much. I remember the Florida/Zika trip you mentioned.

Helpful info.

Rupp's Runt

I knew the Zika trip would get denied. I tried to get her to claim it on her OCD, which was part of the reason the Dr. did not want her to go. But I think pride would not let her do that. I told her that contract was written well before Zika was an issue and that it would not be covered. I could probably find the contract if you wanted want to see it.

I've got an 18-page* contract in front of me on this one, but thanks for the offer. I was really wondering how difficult claims were. You've given me great insight.

*Edit--it's 51 pages by their count, but when I printed them I could mostly get 3 pages on an 8½ x 11 page, so I only used 18 printed pages. CSA is the name of this travel protection.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Rupp's Runt
    CSA sounds familiar

Rupp's Runt
    Yes, it was CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I've got an 18-page* contract in front of me on this one, but thanks for the offer. I was really wondering how difficult claims were. You've given me great insight.

*Edit--it's 51 pages by their count, but when I printed them I could mostly get 3 pages on an 8½ x 11 page, so I only used 18 printed pages. CSA is the name of this travel protection.
    Sounds like you've decided to opt for the insurance. How how much is it going to add to your total rental cost?

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I haven't decided. But the link was available for the review of the policy. It's 6.5% of the cost of the trip.

I ended up getting it. It wasn't that expensive, since the trip isn't that expensive anyway. I'm not sure that it will benefit us even if some things occurred, but maybe.

Fab Five

My advise on a specialty insurance is don't buy it. Take the premiums and invest it instead. Over the years you will come out far ahead.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I haven't decided. But the link was available for the review of the policy. It's 6.5% of the cost of the trip.
    I don't remember your travel dates, but it looks like for traveling to Fl. the leftovers from tropical depression # 4 is going to have most of the gulf coast socked in with pretty heavy rain.

Rupp's Runt

The CSA I had was really cheap. Like no brainer cheap to buy. But I'm guessing it never pays off.....

Mine was really cheap as well. There are some non-weather reasons that could sideline us, so it made sense.

Rupp's Runt

Funny thing is, I didn't have a reason to fear needing it at the time. And never consider travel insurance. But I saw it, it was so cheap I just added. And we ended up needing to cancel the trip....