Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

View Poll Results: The speed I normally drive on an interstate highway is

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Posted Speed Limit (PSL) or below

1 6.67%
  • + 1 to + 5 over PSL

1 6.67%
  • +6 to + 9 over PSL

7 46.67%
  • + 10 to + 14 over PSL

5 33.33%
  • + 15 to + 19 over PSL

1 6.67%
  • + 20 or more over PSL

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The speed I normally drive on the interstate highway is......

The speed I normally drive on the interstate highway is......

Just for my curiosity...I'd like to see how people "normally" drive, whatever that means. I'm not sure if we're different than Joe Average in terms of car speed on the highway, but thought it would be good to get a little poll done after seeing someone recently talk about their normal interstate speed.

So....assuming no traffic jams, so you can drive the speed you prefer normally, and no emergencies that require you to drive at a speed higher than you "normally" do, what is your normal speed on an interstate highway?

Assume during daylight hours as well, just to eliminate one other variable, good weather, etc. Just regular, normal driving.

I'm setting up a poll, but feel free to discuss your answer, too.

Ready.....go.

Re: The speed I normally drive on the interstate highway is......

I clicked on 6-9 but 10-14 is right there with it. The former mostly in neighborhoods, the other on highways particularly if 4-lane.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Yeah, it won't be perfect. Sometimes it depends on other variables as well. Just trying to get a sense.

I actually had the poll done, and then deleted it and started over when the first option above the speed limit I had was +1 to +9. I had a feeling that might get the lion's share of picks, and wanted a little more separation than that. Your post shows even that won't be enough to get a perfect separation, either.

I'm probably very similar to you in driving, and selected the other, sorta viewing the normal as without neighborhoods, not going through cities (except Atlanta), etc. But in neighborhoods, etc., it would be in single digits for me as well.

Back in the early '80's I was driving south on I-77 in my Datsun 280 ZX through Virginia doing 85 and the speed limit was 70. Lo and behold there was a state trooper up ahead going north and I knew he had me. There was an exit about a quarter mile up and I took it and there was a large convenient store plaza on the right. I drove around it slowly and got back on the service road to get back on the interstate. The trooper passed right by me, maybe 5 or 6 feet away, looking the other way towards the plaza. I got on the on-ramp and back on the interstate and never saw him again. Probably the best of several such occurrences. I'm not that bad anymore.
    Last edited by badrose; 06-22-2017 at 10:06 AM.

I-4 (I think) going through the Florida panhandle seemed to be wide open back in the day.

7 miles per hour over the posted limit. I have gone right by radar traps with the officer looking right at me and he never bothered to give chase. A friend of mine is a state trooper in KY and he said it is not worth the time to hand out citations for anything less than 10 mph over the limit as the fine for that is too low he said. So I err on the side of caution and run 6 to 8 over
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Is this a poll where you can see how someone voted?
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Is this a poll where you can see how someone voted?
    Nope .

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Nope .
    Thanks, If I honestly answer I may need legal representation.
    Real Fan since 1958

Thanks, If I honestly answer I may need legal representation.
    Lol. Word on the street is that your wheels rarely touch the street burning up I-65...but you can take the 5th...

According the FHP, I'm 15 - 19 over.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Ask my wife. Since I married her I haven't needed a speedometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I, like Dan, set it for 6-8 over the posted speed limit, unless it is a construction zone and then it IS the posted speed limit.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    According the FHP, I'm 15 - 19 over.
    Lol. Sorry.

I refuse to answer on the grounds it would be really dumb legally. And no one but Darrell would believe me.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

CitizenBBN always drives the speed limit in town. The interstate speed limit.

Rupp's Runt
    When it was 65, I drove 77-78. Now that it is 70, I drive 77-78. Not sure why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Just curious, what's the speed limit there?

My comfort speed is 80ish. I've blown through speed traps all over the place doing 80 without getting a look.... so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

80. So it's only plus 4. But it's fast. I don't always drive even 80--sometimes I drive 65-70 towin the boat, just respecting the small trailer tires and axles. And sometimes I drive 70 in my Big Diesel one ton. Gets right around 20 mpg at 70.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

Lol. Word on the street is that your wheels rarely touch the street burning up I-65...but you can take the 5th...
    Not many people in that 15-19 category.
    Real Fan since 1958

Not many people in that 15-19 category.
    Not many .

I'm not saying I'd be there (I'm not), but I have a radar detector I use that has an "over speed warning" chime you set. I have mine set for 85. This has caused a couple of things to happen:

a) My wife gives me extremely dirty looks when it goes off. (It keeps chiming as long as you are at that mark, so you have to drop back under for it to be tolerable); and

b) Surprisingly, it has made using a radar detector palatable in my vehicle with my wife--who is not necessarily a fan of running a car with one. "Makes you speed." Since I really don't drive any differently (or within 2-3 mph probably) with it as without it, and with the built-in "snitch" telling on me, she has learned to get along with it. I actually think she likes it now. When it goes off, she'll look for the cause of the alert now as well.

55: 56-64
    65: 66-74
    70: 71-79

Usually closer to the 9 over than 1 over.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I refuse to answer on the grounds it would be really dumb legally. And no one but Darrell would believe me.
    Technically, you couldn't answer, because there was no legitimate response for you. The responses all related to your vehicle driving at a speed "on the highway." Your wheels don't touch.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    7 miles per hour over the posted limit. I have gone right by radar traps with the officer looking right at me and he never bothered to give chase. A friend of mine is a state trooper in KY and he said it is not worth the time to hand out citations for anything less than 10 mph over the limit as the fine for that is too low he said. So I err on the side of caution and run 6 to 8 over
    Most Troopers here in Florida won't even look at you until you're driving 20+ MPH over the posted speed limit. Other jurisdictions & agencies will vary, depending on differing factors.
    Myself........I generally drive 10-15 MPH over the posted limit on the interstate, much closer to the listed speed limits in metropolitan or suburban areas.
    MOLON LABE!

Out here in big old "Cali" which no one says btw.....and driving a dodge charger.....on the highway and by myself, 75-80. If it's wide open 80-90. When the ball and chain is with me, she tells me to slow down when I hit 67. I don't invite her much anymore.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Technically, you couldn't answer, because there was no legitimate response for you. The responses all related to your vehicle driving at a speed "on the highway." Your wheels don't touch.
    Let's just say that I have a blue car when I'm coming toward you, and red when I pass you.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Out here in big old "Cali" which no one says btw.
    that is a nickname for a state. It seems many Californians think they're an independent nation, thus they don't use the name.