Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Bilas: NCAA Breaking their own rules if they punish UNC

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...156649234.html

Jay has really gone out of his way to defend UNC. To the point you have to ask "what's in it for him"?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...156649234.html

Peace

Richard (CW)

Re: Bilas: NCAA Breaking their own rules if they punish UNC

$$$$$

One way or another.

I don't know if is true or not, but I read Bilas has done speaking engagements for the PR/law firm helping UNC.

Bilas' law firm itself has ties to UNC
    "Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

One thing about Bilas, no matte the situation, he will always be against the NCAA. It's that simple

The classes were originally designed to keep athletes eligible. This is as much an issue as a tutor doing a paper for a single player. Both are impermissible benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    The classes were originally designed to keep athletes eligible. This is as much an issue as a tutor doing a paper for a single player. Both are impermissible benefits.
    Or provided the answers to tests. I see it just as clearly as you do. This isn't difficult.

Darrell and Keith, you are both spot on with the way most view it. When you have a member of the administration coming forward and admitting to it and you continue to turn a blind eye or give UNC the opportunity to argue it away, then I really have a problem with the NCAA. Someone here commented recently that if the NCAA does not hammer UNC over this, then the NCAA as we once knew it will no longer exist. I complete agree with that statement.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Bilas and UNC are arguing that if you have a tutor do it that's a violation, but if you just get the head of the department to do the same thing then it's OK.

Which is to say, they have no argument.

There is direct email evidence of athletics advisors not just steering players, which is a violation, but actually asking the AFAM department to create these mythical classes, and getting a reply when they are up and then immediately 15 athletes are enrolled in that class. Those same advisors then put together a powerpoint presentation to deal with Crowder leaving, knowing the gravy train was ending. How much more damned evidence does someone need that this was done at the behest and benefit of athletics?

The other way to look at their argument is that the tutor wrote papers for non-athletes too so that must also make it OK. that also is bunk.

If it's not OK for a tutor to "help" students through classes then it's not OK to create completely fake classes with automatic grades to keep kids eligible. If one is an impermissible benefit then the other is, whether those benefits were structured so as to aid a small number of non-athletes or not. The intent of the practice is obvious.

It would be like arguing you can't prosecute a mob boss for money laundering b/c the pizza place did also in fact make and sell pizza.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

By Bilas logic, if UL got normal students to attend the UL striptease events, then it wouldn't be a violation. Of course that is foolish. Most folks are claiming the school used the bogus classes to keep the athletes eligible and sprinkled a few normal students in, ones who learned of them by happenstance, in order to make them "legit". I recall when I was in school, the cafeteria did the same with the meal program. The regular students had steak once a semester so the the football team could have steak every night, until the NCAA ruled that unacceptable. Its a faulty argument that a school can do whatever it pleases so long as they throw a few normal students in the mix. Hell, why not just pay the basketball team so long as you pick a few lucky students and do the same to them? Wouldn't that be legal too? It would by Jay's reasoning.

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Super Kitten

Yeah but…will we ever see what actually happens with this?

Fiddlin' Five

At the end of the day, none of this matters for squat, because the NCAA isn't going to do ANYTHING to UNC-Cheat. Period. It's just like the federal government.......it selectively chooses which rules/by-laws to enforce, given whom the offending party may be. It's that plain and simple.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    By Bilas logic, if UL got normal students to attend the UL striptease events, then it wouldn't be a violation. Of course that is foolish. Most folks are claiming the school used the bogus classes to keep the athletes eligible and sprinkled a few normal students in, ones who learned of them by happenstance, in order to make them "legit". I recall when I was in school, the cafeteria did the same with the meal program. The regular students had steak once a semester so the the football team could have steak every night, until the NCAA ruled that unacceptable. Its a faulty argument that a school can do whatever it pleases so long as they throw a few normal students in the mix. Hell, why not just pay the basketball team so long as you pick a few lucky students and do the same to them? Wouldn't that be legal too? It would by Jay's reasoning.