Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    By LARRY VAUGHT

    When he got to Kentucky, Bam Adebayo was projected as a likely lottery pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.

    When he finished a productive freshman season, he was not only left out of the lottery in mock drafts but was also not a first-round pick in many mock drafts.

    ESPN draft analyst Fran Fraschiilla said Thursday during a conference call with national media members had high praise for Adebayo.

    "I think the guy whose stock was high early and it dropped and now is going back up is Bam Adebayo of Kentucky," said Fraschilla. "Bam is the modern NBA high-energy big. You're looking at 6-10, strong, athletic, runs the floor, can guard pick-and-roll, can ball screen and run to the rim and catch lobs, and he's young.



    "So Adebayo comes to mind as maybe someone that slipped in the so-called mock drafts that might be a good really good value.

"

    He also noted that former UK recruiting target and Alabama commit Terrance Ferguson, who went to Australia to play instead of going to play and Anzeis Pasecniks, a 7-2 center from Latavia who played last season in Spain, are also players with stock rising.

    So are those three in the 20-30 range in the draft?

    "I think Bam is going to go higher. I think Terrance Ferguson should go higher, inside 20, and Pasecniks is one of those guys that would be perfect for a team with multiple picks," Fraschilla said.

    Kentucky coach John Calipari certainly thinks Adebayo is going higher than 20.

    “Right now, everybody is stunned at how Bam shoots the ball," Calipari said Tuesday. "I must’ve had 10 calls. He’s been exciting people.”

    Adebayo's high school coach had predicted that would happen because Adebayo sacrificed part of his game to do what UK needed him to do in order to win games last season.

  2. #2
    Super Kitten
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Owensboro, Ky.
    Posts
    1,731

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    It seems every year people in the NBA says how great UK players are. I hear a lot of “I didn’t know he could do that”. I hope Calipari lets the fans at UK see some of this before they leave.

  3. #3
    Fiddlin' Five badrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of the Enemy
    Posts
    5,807

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward100 View Post
    It seems every year people in the NBA says how great UK players are. I hear a lot of “I didn’t know he could do that”. I hope Calipari lets the fans at UK see some of this before they leave.
    I feel the same way. It has to be tough to play a kid out of position in order to put the team & winning first sometimes but you'd want to utilize those opportunities as often as possible.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

  4. #4

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    I see it as "win-win" for everyone.

    It hasn't hurt a UK player one bit in the draft if he had an "Anthony Davis can shoot a 3" skill that wasn't evidenced in college because they see it during workouts and such. And if they're sacrificing for the team, it connotes a special individual personality that plays well with NBA teammates that helps them as well.

    The real question is, "has Kentucky been hurt" by their failure to display these special talents? I'm not smart enough to answer that. I know there were several people on the board that wanted Humphries to get more playing time early to see if he possessed these special talents--Doc being prominently one of them, as I recall.

  5. #5

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I see it as "win-win" for everyone.

    The real question is, "has Kentucky been hurt" by their failure to display these special talents? I'm not smart enough to answer that. I know there were several people on the board that wanted Humphries to get more playing time early to see if he possessed these special talents--Doc being prominently one of them, as I recall.
    that's the question. I don't think it hurts the players for exactly the reasons you gave, but I do question if we are just not fully utilizing the talent on our team, esp. if we are playing just "these guys" 35 minutes a game and not developing other guys who could step up in a big game, like Hump and Hawkins did.

    Also I wonder if we aren't varying the offense enough to take advantage of guys. Guys need to play their role, but are we constraining that too much?

    If a guy like Hump goes on to a solid pro career I'm sorry but I have to ask what the hell we were doing wrong that with 2 years here we didn't see anything like that kind of game.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

  6. #6

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    A Lot of factors here guys..

    1. Our guys are looking good in workouts, does that always means it correlates to the games?

    2. These guys now have no school work, no NCAA guidelines with meals/practice/study time and quite frankly they don't get to be kids right now.

    3. Training several hours A day!

    4. Is anybody guarding Bam or Humphries while they make all these jumpers in a live game?

    5. Cal will always pump his guys up and make them look better. He protects his guys, talks about sacrifice, etc. It makes the kid look selfless and will do anything for the team. What do you all expect Cal to say, Yeah that kid can't shoot, that's why I didn't let him lol


    I knew Bam would wow at these workouts. He is a physical beast and the kid can make free throws, so you knew, in a setting with nobody guarding him, he would make jumpers.

    Humphries, he gets to train non stop now, get a better diet and he is still so young, his body is maturing now and getting leaner. Cal didn't hold back Humphries, he gave that kid EVERY chance possible this past year. Hell the coaching staff thought he would start last summer. Some kids show the part in workouts...But they are what they, workouts.

    When you get a 18-19 year old Full time access to trainers, agents paying for good food for them, you get UK's exposure, their facilities when you want to train 5-7 hours a day, it is no surprise UK guys look good. They are prepared for it.

  7. #7

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    A Lot of factors here guys..

    1. Our guys are looking good in workouts, does that always means it correlates to the games?

    2. These guys now have no school work, no NCAA guidelines with meals/practice/study time and quite frankly they don't get to be kids right now.

    3. Training several hours A day!

    4. Is anybody guarding Bam or Humphries while they make all these jumpers in a live game?

    5. Cal will always pump his guys up and make them look better. He protects his guys, talks about sacrifice, etc. It makes the kid look selfless and will do anything for the team. What do you all expect Cal to say, Yeah that kid can't shoot, that's why I didn't let him lol


    I knew Bam would wow at these workouts. He is a physical beast and the kid can make free throws, so you knew, in a setting with nobody guarding him, he would make jumpers.

    Humphries, he gets to train non stop now, get a better diet and he is still so young, his body is maturing now and getting leaner. Cal didn't hold back Humphries, he gave that kid EVERY chance possible this past year. Hell the coaching staff thought he would start last summer. Some kids show the part in workouts...But they are what they, workouts.

    When you get a 18-19 year old Full time access to trainers, agents paying for good food for them, you get UK's exposure, their facilities when you want to train 5-7 hours a day, it is no surprise UK guys look good. They are prepared for it.
    Good points, Travis, especially on the shooting. Many players are deadly in warmups, but when they are defended and in a live game the numbers go way down. What the NBA philosophy is is that if they can make them they will eventually make a decent percentage in games.

  8. #8

    Re: Adebayo "exciting people" in the NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Good points, Travis, especially on the shooting. Many players are deadly in warmups, but when they are defended and in a live game the numbers go way down. What the NBA philosophy is is that if they can make them they will eventually make a decent percentage in games.
    1 tipton.JPG

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •