Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Your Top Movies of the 21st Century

The NY Times recently released its critics' choices for best pictures of the 21st century, and also showed the favorites of directors Antoine Fuqua, Sophia Coppola, Paul Feig and others.

So think back to 2000. What are your favorites--say, a top 5? (Understanding that there's a difference between "best" and "favorite"--or at least there is in my mind.)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Your Top Movies of the 21st Century

I went through the top 10...not only had I not seen any of them, I didn't even recognize the names. So that tells you how bad I am with giving an opinion on this lol.

Wrong century... for me anyway.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

I like the directors' list a lot more than the critics' list.

A quick favorite 5 for me:

--Anchorman

--The Hangover

--Moneyball

--Django Unchained

--Lost in Translation
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Bombino

I would debate them on their choice of Best Action movie in the 21st Century. I would definitely put John Wick and Old Boy (the Korean version and not that rubbish Hollywood version) as pound for pound just as good as Mad Max (which I think is excellent). The latter, Old Boy, is a movie which honestly is one of the best action-revenge movies I have ever seen. It is violent, twisted, psychotic, cinema-graphically beautiful and an all around excellent film. It is interesting to slowly watch the rise of eastern cinema, in particular Taiwan, Japan and Korea. All three countries have vibrant, though often not easily approachable, cinema industries. While in the West, many of the creative types have transitioned to long form for more creative freedom due to Hollywood's insistence on rehashing "safe" ideas, in these countries cinema still rules the roost and creativity can still be found.

Edit:

A fanmade trailer for the Korean version: https://youtu.be/2HkjrJ6IK5E
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 06-13-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I went through the top 10...not only had I not seen any of them, I didn't even recognize the names. So that tells you how bad I am with giving an opinion on this lol.
    I only recognized 3 movies on the critics list, haven't seen any of them. I'm sure Million Dollar Baby would be good, just haven't seen it..

I've at least seen 3 movies total on the director's list ,and recognized a fair number of them. I think the directors get out more than the critics.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Your Top Movies of the 21st Century

I stumbled over a comedy drama from 2000 the other night called Wonder Boys. Not sure about a favorite but it was pretty entertaining from start to finish.

I personally like the Jason Bourne series.

No 21st century top movie list would be complete without the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

The directors' lists definitely had more picks I could agree with though there were few. I agree with blueboss with the inclusion of LOTR trilogy which I think is right up there with all-time classics.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

aka: top 24 movies you have never heard of plus Million Dollar Baby, because I'm so hip list......

Seriously though, 3 of those movies (Million Dollar Baby, 40 Yr Old Virgin and Hurt Locker) were mainstream. Clearly the point was to pick one's that were limited to specific small genre and somewhat obscure. A few were widely released, like "There Will Be Blood" but most didn't see the mainstream for a reason.
    Last edited by Doc; 06-14-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Recruit

There's a lot I like, but these stand out in my memory:

5. Inglorious Basterds (The Bear Jew!)
    4. Wall-E (the first 45 minutes with no dialogue? Brilliant!)
    3. Mad Max: Fury Road (One of those movies you can watch 3 times in a day and not get bored.)
    2. There Will Be Blood (Daniel Day Lewis. Enough said...though the preacher held his own as well)
    1. 12 Years a Slave (Bonus for being a true story...and that scene where he is hanging and trying to reach the ground with his feet in silence is chilling.)
    "Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.” --B. Goldwater

Nada. I'm not seeing Godfather II. TV's a lot better tho

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Nada. I'm not seeing Godfather II. TV's a lot better tho
    So true, particularly on the non-network channels. HBO and Showtime have a lot of quality stuff. I prefer to binge watch.

I just finished watching Bone Tomahawk and was blown away. I had no idea much about the plot except that it was a western so I won't give anything away here. Just great story-telling, dialogue, acting, cinematography, and superb use of a twist. Highly recommended really doesn't go far enough.

12 Years A Slave is some harsh stuff to watch. A great movie with astonishing acting but not exactly a feel good movie. Same for Manchester By The Sea. Inglorious Basterds has to be mentioned for Christoph Waltz alone. Million Dollar Baby was fantastic.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Moneyball
    Baseball movies along with Marvel/DC stuff is about all I watch. Loved Moneyball.