Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

Re: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I took a look at the Wrangler with my wife earlier this evening in person, and she didn't want my daughter to drive it. I thought it looked fun. I always get out voted.

She tells me we each have a vote, but she has the tiebreaker.
    My wife love it because of the room for the dogs (we have the four door). I love it because it's not complicated so little to break down, they run forever, take regular gas and are indestructible (If you knew my wife's driving habits you would understand)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    A subcompact but more room than a beetle. Check out the 17 Chevrolet Sonic with the 1.4-liter turbo.

Well worth a drive Ive heard. A cool interior

The Sonic is very highly rated by the way. I never was a GM fan but they are making some of the best vehicles in the world now.

From Edmunds..

Optional turbocharged engine is powerful and gets respectable fuel economy

cabin is relatively spacious for this class

generous number of standard and available features

excellent crash test safety scores
    (forward-collision alert and lane-departure warning)

ride quality is better than most competitors

fun to drive

base engine has low power but the smaller 1.4 turbo is quick..

interior is nice but mostly plastic as is common in this class.

------------------------------------------
    We work on new Wranglers three or four times a month upgrading the interior package to leather. Nice vehicles. But kind of pricey.

Cheaper to have the leather upgrade done yourself instead of paying the dealership. Save a couple of grand that way. Katskin@ covers are the licensed upgrade
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-04-2017 at 12:46 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rav then crv

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Rav then crv
    Given the age/dollars I'm willing to spend, that sure looks like the best formula.

I think if I were looking for a pretty new car, I could go with one of the others, but in the 8 to 10 year old range, for reliability, those don't look like they can be matched.

Given the age/dollars I'm willing to spend, that sure looks like the best formula.

I think if I were looking for a pretty new car, I could go with one of the others, but in the 8 to 10 year old range, for reliability, those don't look like they can be matched.
    With the Toyotas in the ten year range look for the V6 instead of the 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinders had some issues around '07 that caused oil consumption. My daughter had an '07 Camry with 160K without issues, but when we sold it some potential buyers who had researched issues with the 4 cylinder mentioned it to us when they asked about which engine it had.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    With the Toyotas in the ten year range look for the V6 instead of the 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinders had some issues around '07 that caused oil consumption. My daughter had an '07 Camry with 160K without issues, but when we sold it some potential buyers who had researched issues with the 4 cylinder mentioned it to us when they asked about which engine it had.
    Much appreciated!

Hmm. Friend just texted that her uncle passed away. He was in his mid-80's. Owned a 2008 Ford Escape SUV with "very low" miles.

I haven't had a lot of luck in finding what I want for what I want to pay. I found a 2006 Toyota RAV-4 today with 130,000 miles on it for $6k; the price was good, but that's more miles than I wanted. Still, with general Toyota reliability, I wanted to consider it...(however, it was the 4 cylinder.)

Hmm. Friend just texted that her uncle passed away. He was in his mid-80's. Owned a 2008 Ford Escape SUV with "very low" miles.

I haven't had a lot of luck in finding what I want for what I want to pay. I found a 2006 Toyota RAV-4 today with 130,000 miles on it for $6k; the price was good, but that's more miles than I wanted. Still, with general Toyota reliability, I wanted to consider it...(however, it was the 4 cylinder.)
    I've got several friends that have owned Escapes and have liked them a lot.

Appreciate the info on the friends liking their Escapes. I'm intrigued. Reviews for the used ones aren't bad. Not at Toyota-Honda level, but close. I'm at least going to listen. I like the looks of it--more Jeep-truck like. Surprisingly, my daughter likes that look as well (less like a mini-van).

Appreciate the info on the friends liking their Escapes. I'm intrigued. Reviews for the used ones aren't bad. Not at Toyota-Honda level, but close. I'm at least going to listen. I like the looks of it--more Jeep-truck like. Surprisingly, my daughter likes that look as well (less like a mini-van).
    My niece has the Mercury Mariner, which is a Mercury badged Escape. I don't think it has been in the repair shop a single time. I think it is about an '08 or '09 model and she has driven it since it was new.

More good anecdotes. Read many like that on some reviews as well.

The Escape I referenced may not be soon enough for me, though. At this time, I don't know what price they want, the exact mileage (other than "very low," which I believe--the man was 89 when he died, and I can't imagine him driving it a ton), when it would be available, etc. Going to take a look at the Rav-4 this morning.

Getting a pre-purchase inspection done on the Toyota now. A little concerned. Drove like a dream, engine sounded great, etc., but when a hard braking occurred, it seemed to shimmy some. They're checking it all out now.

They told me they would say a prayer for me as I drove it back to the car dealer.

They began an estimate on everything, and then just gave up. I think I counted about 25 hours of labor alone on the work the car needed. Had to do with struts, frame work, steering column something or another, etc. Sounded like it had been involved in a big wreck that was not reported to insurance companies, and consequently, was not on the CarFax report I saw. Said it would be several thousand dollars of repairs.

I'm still in the market.

Interestingly, they told me not to worry so much about the "newer" Jeeps. Said that the engine did change, but they were still good engines.

When you get done laughing, try to take my comment seriously. I am a dyed in the wool truck or truck style SUV guy. Have driven one consistently since 1982. I love the way they sit for the driver. I sit up with my legs bent downward not sticking out in front of me in a car that I have to sit down in and climb out of.

Having said that, If I had to buy a car today, it would be a 2014 and up Chevy Impala. Look into them a bit and see what you think. However your daughter may hate it or love it, but you might not. Tons of leg room front and back, huge trunk compartment, and they really drive good. They have both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines to choose from. Average mpg city and town is probably close to 27. I have driven one 4 or 5 times as rental vehicles and have put a good number of miles on the ones I rented. If you can get away from the SUV idea, I highly recommend one of them

One with 40,000 miles or so will come in at the high end of your price range for a 2014
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 06-20-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I like them. Have rented them myself, driven on the road many miles in them.

No way in heck my 18-year old daughter would drive it. The mechanic today suggested a Lexus RX 350. I told my wife, thinking she would laugh at the absurdity, but little did I know, she had already asked her about it.

She said it looked like an old person's car and she wouldn't get close to it.

I kinda think the Impala falls in the same category for her.

Children. ;-)
    seeya
    dan

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 06-21-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Hidden in emails? Damn Hillary.

No way in heck my 18-year old daughter would drive it. The mechanic today suggested a Lexus RX 350. I told my wife, thinking she would laugh at the absurdity, but little did I know, she had already asked her about it.

I think a discussion of old American adages like the one about gift horses and mouths might be part of the next conversation.

My first car was an old Lincoln that had the style of a bee hive hairdo. Tell her it's a long embraced American tradition for cars at that age to be completely style inappropriate, and she needs to help make America America again and do her part.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Here, here!!
    seeya
    dan

My girls always used the term "granny car" when I made suggestions they thought weren't cool enough for their age group.

My first car was a 1971 Chevy Nova. No air conditioning. Had to kick it out of gear at stop signs and red lights, assuming I stopped, or else the engine would kill. Thought nothing of it. That was just normal for a 16-year old, I thought. Hey, it ran. It got me where I needed to go (and sometimes, where I wanted to go--not always the same thing, of course).

Keith, I laughed out loud when I read "granny car." I am not going to show her this thread. She will adopt that terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Dan, want to click your link?

I've now got a guy that is a licensed auto dealer that has a full-time job at the University who is looking for cars for me at an auto auction. The clients for the auction are either banks or rental companies. Not sure how I feel about that, but I have bought two cars from Hertz before, both fantastic, perfect cars, so I don't have the qualms about them that some do. Banks must be repossessions, which gives me a little more angst. But if the price is right, you can fix about anything, right.....?

Dan, want to click your link?
    Well that is embarrasing. I fixed the link. Thanks for the heads up
    seeya
    dan

Thanks for buying my daughter a 2017 SUV. I assume that's what you're doing with the linked article comparing them, right? You know I ain't buying that, so that must be the case!

I've now got a guy that is a licensed auto dealer that has a full-time job at the University who is looking for cars for me at an auto auction. The clients for the auction are either banks or rental companies. Not sure how I feel about that, but I have bought two cars from Hertz before, both fantastic, perfect cars, so I don't have the qualms about them that some do. Banks must be repossessions, which gives me a little more angst. But if the price is right, you can fix about anything, right.....?
    Most used dealers buy at auctions, or buy trade-ins from dealers. I used to attend car auctions frequently. My late brother-in-law had a lot and did some driving for him. You see a lot of nice cars, some so-so cars, some that go to the buy here-pay here lots, and some destined to go straight to the salvage yards.

Thanks for buying my daughter a 2017 SUV. I assume that's what you're doing with the linked article comparing them, right? You know I ain't buying that, so that must be the case!
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...e-compact-suvs
    seeya
    dan

I'm guessing this is closer to what Darrell has in mind: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...e-compact-suvs

It is a list of the '09 model year compact SUVs. The 2008 and older list was unavailable.