Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

Daughter is really pushing for the Volkswagen, with her backup choice the Jeep (a newer version of what she's been driving the last couple of years, which she enjoys).

Somebody give me reasons why I should listen on the Volkswagen. I'm not a big fan. We've had such good luck with the Jeep Grand Cherokee--well over 200,000 miles now, and the car is 20 years old--that I'm not adverse to getting another one, although for reliability, we wanted a Honda or Toyota to get her from Point A to Point B.

Any thoughts from the group?

Rupp's Runt

Re: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

We considered 3 of those 4 and went with the Ford Edge and really love it.

At 20...I'd probably go with the CR-V or Rav4. I can't promote the Beetle....

Bombino

VW have had huge reliability issues (especially the Beetles). They are somewhat better now than they used to be but I still don't trust them

Ford Edge was surprisingly quick with the 1.8T engine. Really solid car from my very limited experience.

CR-V - still driving a 2004, other than being very noisy it has been a great car. Not without its own issues but a great car.

Toyota Rav-4 - its a Toyota, reliable, boring, easy to drive

I should have added that this car will probably be 8-10 years old; not a new car at all. She's lucky to get anything.

The Ford Edge--would you guys recommend that in the 10-year old ballpark for reliability, too?

No to the VW anything.

I am a Ford supporter but have no experience with the edge. Have they even been available for 10 years?

Actually they debuted in 2007 so a 10 year old should be available
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I should have added that this car will probably be 8-10 years old; not a new car at all. She's lucky to get anything.

The Ford Edge--would you guys recommend that in the 10-year old ballpark for reliability, too?
    Then DEFINITELY not a VW, they are not at ALL reliable in that era.

See below about the Ford.

As for the Honda, it would put you in the 2006-2009 range for the CR-V. Personally, I would skip the 2006 CR-V and stick with 2007 and newer. There was a total redesign at that time and they are much better cars overall. The interior is DRAMATICALLY quieter (G2 and G2.5, which are 2002-2006, are like rolling tin cans).

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    No to the VW anything.

I am a Ford supporter but have no experience with the edge. Have they even been available for 10 years?

Actually they debuted in 2007 so a 10 year old should be available
    I wouldn't go for the first model year for any car, but anything 2009 and newer should be fine.

So 2009+ Ford Edge
    2007 Honda CR-V or later
    Ixnay on the Volkswagen, which makes me happy

Any Jeep Grand Cherokee fans? The one experience I've had with ours has made me a fan, but I know it's just one, and maybe we've been lucky...

I'm also assuming the Toyota RAV-4 would be fine, based on Toyota history, if I run across a good deal on one of those.

I have 0 experience with Chrysler products. Back when Jeep was an AMC/Kaiser product they were quality vehicles, but do not know about them made by Chrysler
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

You've already heard the VW woes. I speak from experience on VW's, however ours was a Psaat not a beetle.

I loved that car it was one of the best cars I ever had between 16k and 100k miles. I bought it around two years old with 16k miles, the bumper to bumper warranty covered everything to 75k which including the timing belt package which I had done at 70k... they recommend 80-90k.

Anyway at 100k this and that started going wrong. VW's are expensive to work on parts are high labor is average.

If you ever buy a VW buy it with low low mileage and flip it before the warranty runs out.... or buying an extended warranty would probably be cheaper than maintaining it.

For instance water pump $800, front end suspension gears $275 each and there are four of them. Coolant seal $475, coolant tank $200. Synthetic oil change $90. I could go on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Run away from the VW Beetle, parts are outrageous and time consuming to install.

Any of the other three should be suitable. The Jeep will run 300,000K with proper maintenance.

Haven't had the others, though my office manager had one of the VWs she had to return b/c they fibbed to the US government about them.

But I do have a CRV with about 235K miles on it and it's doing fine. Suspension gets a little touchy, and we could fix it proper for some more money, but it's not unsafe so I'm fine with it. it's had a lot of pretty hard driving.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I have a Honda Fit with 260,000 miles on it and still doing well, so I am Honda fan so far. Obviously not the CR-V but it the fit has been solid.

The Edge (2016 model), probably the nicest all around car we have had. It is also fits our needs perfectly. I've not had it long enough to know to talk about the dependability, but so far we love it.

I hate that I'm apparently the only person on the planet having trouble with his Honda, but having the catalytic converter go bad and needing a replacement motor for the 2009 Odyssey we bought new and maintained at the dealer confirming to their schedule makes me a bit sour.

Daughter is really pushing for the Volkswagen, with her backup choice the Jeep (a newer version of what she's been driving the last couple of years, which she enjoys).

Somebody give me reasons why I should listen on the Volkswagen. I'm not a big fan. We've had such good luck with the Jeep Grand Cherokee--well over 200,000 miles now, and the car is 20 years old--that I'm not adverse to getting another one, although for reliability, we wanted a Honda or Toyota to get her from Point A to Point B.

Any thoughts from the group?
    I've not owned any of the vehicles you're considering. VWs are generally reputed to have chronic repair issues. That was my experience when I owned a VW Golf, but it was a long time ago (87-93).

I'd say RAV-4 just because we've had great luck with Toyotas generally. Mrs. BEvans I have owned 4 Toyotas and purchased 2 for our kids, and they've all been rock solid. I'm currently driving an 05 Camry with 254K on it, and no signs of stopping.

Add me to the apparently small group of Honda owners with problems. I bought a used Accord that was a money pit. We bought a used Odyssey that we had to have the transmission replaced after buying it. Turned out it was a known issue with Odysseys from the time period (it was an 02) that I could have caught if I'd done some online research. Initially Honda would replace the transmission gratis even if it was out of warranty--by the time we had our problem with it, their standard deal was they'd pay 50%.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-03-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The jeep but not a Grand Cherokee Go with a wrangled. Dependable, cheap, easy to work on. Shawn loves hers

We have a CRV, Honda reliability, good car but no spunk. We picked it over the RAV4
    Last edited by Doc; 06-02-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

My own recommendation would be either the Honda or the Toyota. Those new CR-V's are super nice. Can't go wrong with either.
    Anything American I would be leery of, and I'm not sold on the new Beetles either. JMHO.
    MOLON LABE!

Walk away from the VWs. I know from experience lol

Lol. Man, there has been a complete consensus on the VWs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The jeep but not a Grand Cherokee Go with a wrangled. Dependable, cheap, easy to work on. Shawn loves hers

We have a CRV, Honda reliability, good car but no spunk. We picked it over the RAV4
    I'll take a look at the Wranglers. Been happy with the Jeep. In fact, it's my favorite car to drive, I think it drives so well.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    My own recommendation would be either the Honda or the Toyota. Those new CR-V's are super nice. Can't go wrong with either.
    Anything American I would be leery of, and I'm not sold on the new Beetles either. JMHO.
    Forget new. This is for my 18-year old daughter who is driving a 20-year old Jeep now. If she gets a 2007 anything, she's lucky.

I'll take a look at the Wranglers. Been happy with the Jeep. In fact, it's my favorite car to drive, I think it drives so well.
    As far as driveability it will be hard to beat the Grand Cherokee among those you listed. If insurance costs could be a factor I'd check on that as well. Insurance rates tend to be much higher on small, sporty SUVs. With the number of cars your family has you may qualify for fleet coverage.

I really like the way the Grand Cherokee drives myself. And for a V6, it has some get up and go too.

My office manager really liked her VWs. Had one that got wrecked, then got the turbo newer one, but had to turn it back in due to the EPA thing. She never had any big issues, but those were both newer than we're talking about and neither got very high in miles.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Yeah, I think it might be different if I were looking to buy that new or even a year old or so. But even though it would be a little newer, the VW would still have more miles on it than I'd be comfortable with, given the various experiences everyone has shared.

Yeah, I think it might be different if I were looking to buy that new or even a year old or so. But even though it would be a little newer, the VW would still have more miles on it than I'd be comfortable with, given the various experiences everyone has shared.
    The Jettas and other VWs have a much better record than the bug. Everyone I know of that has had one complained about the frequency and costs of repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    As far as driveability it will be hard to beat the Grand Cherokee among those you listed. If insurance costs could be a factor I'd check on that as well. Insurance rates tend to be much higher on small, sporty SUVs. With the number of cars your family has you may qualify for fleet coverage.
    When we went to the wrangled we saved just over $400 a year on our insurance a d that included a hike due to a wreck. Of course the previous vehicle was a Nissan Z370
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    When we went to the wrangled we saved just over $400 a year on our insurance a d that included a hike due to a wreck. Of course the previous vehicle was a Nissan Z370
    I'm not sure how the Wrangler does on insurance compared to the Grand Cherokee. It is probably negligible for us old folks, but for Darrell's 18 year old it may be more of a difference.

I took a look at the Wrangler with my wife earlier this evening in person, and she didn't want my daughter to drive it. I thought it looked fun. I always get out voted.

She tells me we each have a vote, but she has the tiebreaker.

I took a look at the Wrangler with my wife earlier this evening in person, and she didn't want my daughter to drive it. I thought it looked fun. I always get out voted.

She tells me we each have a vote, but she has the tiebreaker.
    They are fun, especially in the summer.

A subcompact but more room than a beetle. Check out the 17 Chevrolet Sonic with the 1.4-liter turbo.

Well worth a drive Ive heard. A cool interior
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-03-2017 at 10:09 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain