Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I'm guessing this is closer to what Darrell has in mind: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...e-compact-suvs

It is a list of the '09 model year compact SUVs. The 2008 and older list was unavailable.
    Perfect!

Next question - what about a 10-year old BMW x3? Notwithstanding their original sale price, I'm seeing those for the same price.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Next question - what about a 10-year old BMW x3? Notwithstanding their original sale price, I'm seeing those for the same price.
    No no no no no! BMWs are horrible for maintenance costs, something they often need a lot of (as both my brother and parents found out).

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Re: Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Jeep Grand Cherokee, or ...Volkswagen New Beetle?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    No no no no no! BMWs are horrible for maintenance costs, something they often need a lot of (as both my brother and parents found out).

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    I've been told the parts are incredibly high and sometimes require BMW only tools.

Keith and Pedro it's funny--I read your posts, and first thought, "not a big deal." The guy that kept my 1992 Volvo alive for many years works on two cars--Volvos and BMWs. He and his brother own that specialty garage, and I trust him implicitly.

And I had been told similar things about Volvo before I bought my first one. Over the years, it was my cheapest vehicle to repair ever. Not only were "regular" repairs reasonably priced, no more than, or less than, my American-made cars, but also this guy knew me, and would often tell me little hints. "I can put on a used radiator off an old Volvo for $200 less than the new ones. The original ones are metal; the new ones are plastic."

Then I realized. My daughter will be away at school with the car 75% of the time. So as much as I like "my guy," it means that my daughter won't be able to go to that little college town of 30,000 people and just drop it off at a general mechanic who may not have the specialty tools, and whose repair costs may not be what i am used to.

I think that may sway me to look away. I may need to do some research into Lagrange, Ga. auto shops, though. Hopefully she'll never have an issue there, but my middle daughter had issues with her car in Tuscaloosa, my son had an issue once with his car in Auburn...life happens.

I may drop by my old Volvo mechanic today and ask his opinion, too. Frankly, I'm not finding a lot of cars I like in my price range--right now, I'm only considering Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV 4, and Ford Escapes. I'm comfortable with all three at the moment; wanted to see if I could add a 4th possibility.

A local used car dealer I know sells a boatload of the Chevy Equinoxes. They are either front-wheel or AWD and get very good mileage for an SUV.

I've heard of those. I'll do some background research on those and see if their reliability looks good.

Guys--if I have this car checked out, would you think I'm foolish to consider it?

2009 Toyota Rav 4, but with 160,000 miles? That's a lot of miles, isn't it?

I don't know why--I'm looking at cars with up to 130,000 miles on it for my daughter, and not blinking. But that just sorta worries me. Should it?

I'm looking at cars with up to 130,000 miles on it for my daughter, and not blinking. But that just sorta worries me. Should it?
    I do not believe it should if the vehicle has been regularly well maintained. I have a 2006 Explorer in my driveway with over 230,000 miles on it, and if necessary, I would hop in it and head for Alaska today with no worries at all. In your situation, I would ask the dealer if I could have it for a couple of days and tell them that I was going to put several miles on it to test it out, either that or ask them for a 30 day/5,000 mile money back guarantee if I found issues with it in that time period. They could either fix any problems I found or they could take the vehicle back and refund my purchase price including taxes. jmho
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Just spoke to an Estate guy about a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 43,000 miles. But can't sell it for a couple of weeks because they don't have title yet. Really liked the looks of it, and those miles...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I do not believe it should if the vehicle has been regularly well maintained. I have a 2006 Explorer in my driveway with over 230,000 miles on it, and if necessary, I would hop in it and head for Alaska today with no worries at all. In your situation, I would ask the dealer if I could have it for a couple of days and tell them that I was going to put several miles on it to test it out, either that or ask them for a 30 day/5,000 mile money back guarantee if I found issues with it in that time period. They could either fix any problems I found or they could take the vehicle back and refund my purchase price including taxes. jmho
    Those are good suggestions, thanks. This is a used car dealership that sort of specializes in the sale of cars that are under $10,000. There's nothing "inherently" wrong with that, but I have found those dealerships to be purchasing cars of lesser quality somewhere, and generally not getting as good a car. I could be wrong here, and I know there are exceptions. Also, I'm not sure how willing they'd be to do the kind of things you suggest, but you know what--you never know til you ask, anyway.

Just spoke to an Estate guy about a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 43,000 miles. But can't sell it for a couple of weeks because they don't have title yet. Really liked the looks of it, and those miles...wow.
    Similar to what we did for our daughter's first car. This was fall 2007, and we found a 2000 Camry with 38,000 miles on it. The age concerned us but the miles were awesome. Apparently it was driven by the prototypical Little Old Lady and when she passed her family sold it. Took it to a mechanic--checked out great. Was a great car for the daughter--she got 7 years and another 150K out of it before it was totaled in an accident.

Regarding the miles--depending on the type of vehicle and how well it's been maintained, I don't see a problem. But Mrs. BEvans is the other way around--if it's a vehicle for the kids, she's super picky about mileage. Guess who usually wins that discussion.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Similar to what we did for our daughter's first car. This was fall 2007, and we found a 2000 Camry with 38,000 miles on it. The age concerned us but the miles were awesome. Apparently it was driven by the prototypical Little Old Lady and when she passed her family sold it. Took it to a mechanic--checked out great. Was a great car for the daughter--she got 7 years and another 150K out of it before it was totaled in an accident.

Regarding the miles--depending on the type of vehicle and how well it's been maintained, I don't see a problem. But Mrs. BEvans is the other way around--if it's a vehicle for the kids, she's super picky about mileage. Guess who usually wins that discussion.
    Lol. I know who wins. Same as in my house. No need to elaborate.

Just thought I would do a quick search and see if I could give you a point of reference for price and quality vs the Estate vehicle

https://www.carfax.com/Used-2004-Jee...GX48S14C259960
    seeya
    dan

Just thought I would do a quick search and see if I could give you a point of reference for price and quality vs the Estate vehicle

https://www.carfax.com/Used-2004-Jee...GX48S14C259960
    Appreciate it. The estate sale is definitely under market, and it looks great, but if I go that route I will not have the option to have it checked out by a mechanic. Those are just the rules of the estate company. Part of the reason for the good deal. Honestly, the price is good enough that the risk is pretty minimized, unless it is a total Money Pit.

Will they let you examine the vehicle prior to purchase?

If they will, just a few suggestions of things to do and look for. Check the air filter to see if it is mostly clean. Check for uneven tire wear. Look at the water in the radiator supply tank and see if the water/antifreeze mixture looks mostly clean or is is kinda oily looking, or maybe a little rusty looking. Check the brake master cylinder fluid and see if it looks old or discolored, and do the same thing with the power steering reservoir. All you are trying to determine by checking these things is, has the vehicle been professionally maintained. Normal service on these things should be at 3,000 miles and if they were pretty anal about the timing, then it should have been serviced within the last 1,000 miles or so. Also check the top left corner of the windshield to see if their is one of those dealer stickers that tells the owner the mileage for the last service and the suggested mileage for the next scheduled service.
    seeya
    dan

Will they let you examine the vehicle prior to purchase?

If they will, just a few suggestions of things to do and look for. Check the air filter to see if it is mostly clean. Check for uneven tire wear. Look at the water in the radiator supply tank and see if the water/antifreeze mixture looks mostly clean or is is kinda oily looking, or maybe a little rusty looking. Check the brake master cylinder fluid and see if it looks old or discolored, and do the same thing with the power steering reservoir. All you are trying to determine by checking these things is, has the vehicle been professionally maintained. Normal service on these things should be at 3,000 miles and if they were pretty anal about the timing, then it should have been serviced within the last 1,000 miles or so. Also check the top left corner of the windshield to see if their is one of those dealer stickers that tells the owner the mileage for the last service and the suggested mileage for the next scheduled service.
    Good suggestions.

I can even start the car up, and run it through the gears. Just can't move it. Check the A/C, heat. Windows. That's about it.

Estate vehicles tend to be good buys. That's mostly what I sell, and I think my buyers get great deals. I try to get more for them, but I think even at book they are good bargains b/c they are usually good cars, just not needed any more by the family.

i have a Corolla coming up in a couple of weeks, same thing. Beauty, really nice, only 55K miles on it. it's an estate, needs to be sold. No one who was using this car would ever let it go b/c it's too nice and too new.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

If I could get my daughter uninterested in SUVs, I'd wait a couple of weeks and go try to buy that Corolla from you. That's a good car for a college kid.

Heck, it's a good car for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

Anymore 7 years old and 38K miles is a nearly new car. They last much longer than they did when we were youngsters.

Wish me luck. I'm in the middle of a test drive (sitting at home now), Honda CRV 10-years old, 103k miles. Headed back to my mechanic for him to look it over.

If I could get my daughter uninterested in SUVs, I'd wait a couple of weeks and go try to buy that Corolla from you. That's a good car for a college kid.

Heck, it's a good car for anybody.
    Its going to be a great pick for someone. Classic little old lady car who only drove it to church on Sunday.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

10 year old Honda CRV it is. Done and done. Thanks for everyone's help.

Congrsts!!!!
    seeya
    dan

The reason I haven't bought any of these other cars is I got my mom's CR-V, 235K miles on it, runs fine. They're dang good vehicles in my experience.

Maybe I'll be a poor man's version of these billionaires with their huge car collections. All of mine will be worth $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    All of mine will be worth $2,000.
    I'll be right there with you. When the kids finally leave home and I can start circulating some of these cars out of my name into their name, I may have to come visit you so I can replenish my stock.

I'll be right there with you. When the kids finally leave home and I can start circulating some of these cars out of my name into their name, I may have to come visit you so I can replenish my stock.
    You should qualify for fleet insurance.

10 year old Honda CRV it is. Done and done. Thanks for everyone's help.
    My wife drives a 2007 CRV. It's got less than 90,000 miles on it but looks like it's got 300 lol. I don't think I could kill that car if I tried.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    My wife drives a 2007 CRV. It's got less than 90,000 miles on it but looks like it's got 300 lol. I don't think I could kill that car if I tried.
    My mechanic was checking it out yesterday and he told me they had a 2004 CRV they used as their shop car. He said they used it to throw tires in and deliver and constantly had it in city driving traffic.

They sold it for $3,000. With over 300,000 miles on it of very tough driving.

He is a fan.

Put in a new battery today to stave off problems, as the one in it was 4½ years old and didn't want to send my daughter off with that.

Have to put in new wiper blades, one tail light bulb, and fix the fuel tank cover that has lost the spring.

Should be good to go with that.

Update.

Drove my daughter's 2007 Honda CRV from upstate NY through NYC into Brooklyn and back to upstate NY Sunday, then 120 miles into Pennsylvania. Yesterday drove it 887 miles home.

30mpg for the trip was nice. Very quiet ride, which surprised me. I expected more road noise. She has a nice set of Michelin tires that I think help there, but I remember Pedro saying they were quiet. Still, I wasn't expecting that.

Car now at 140,000 miles, 37k since buying it when this thread was created.

As a side note...I still have the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I drive it about twice a month. Wife says with two extra cars I have to get rid of one of them now, so I may be getting close to saying goodbye to a car we've had for many years. We were the 2nd owners of the Jeep. Too my middle daughter to high school and college, youngest daughter to high school, and youngest son to high school and first year of college out of state. Been my car for the last 3 years, loaned to my son's girlfriend when her car was in the shop, my middle daughter used it in the spring for a month as her car was getting a new transmission. I hate losing the spare!