Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Computer hard drive question please

Computer hard drive question please

My hard drive is really noise when I open up a google chrome browser. Sounds like the fan is spilling a thousand MPH. When I close the browser, it gets quieter. Still not complete silent. It is desktop about 5 years old. It has been doing this for a couple of months. Any thoughts on why and how to fix?

Thanks

Peace

Richard (CW)

Re: Computer hard drive question please

is it the drive or the fan running? Fan would indicate high CPU usage, triggering the fan to go faster. Hard drive might be one of several things. D

Desktop or laptop?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    is it the drive or the fan running? Fan would indicate high CPU usage, triggering the fan to go faster. Hard drive might be one of several things. D

Desktop or laptop?
    Chuck...it is a desk top with a tower. It sure sounds like the fan cranking wide open and it's very loud. Gets really loud when I open google chrome browser.

Thanks

Richard (CW)

Is it immediate? And then stop when you close it?

What windows version? We need to check out the CPU usage.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It does not complete stop when I close it, but gets softer. It is XP....yes I am old school!!! How do I check the CPU?

Thanks again!

CPU Usage is 0-21% max.

Can you watch it when you open and close chrome? I'm wondering if something there is spiking it and that is kicking the fan on high.

Now that the browser is open, it keep fluctuating between 0 and 100%. The fan will star revving like an engine at times. Soft to loud revs.

Thanks

Richard (CW)

Bombino

Any chance that the heatsink is filled with dust? That can cause this behavior (though so can a virus). I can promise it isn't the harddrive though.

Rupp's Runt

If it is XP then the poor thing is probably thinking too hard to figure out what Chrome is