Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This estimate sounded way high--any ideas here? 2009 Honda Odyssey Van

This estimate sounded way high--any ideas here? 2009 Honda Odyssey Van

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    If the mechanic knows it is defective then he probably included it in the estimate, but there is no guarantee that he did. I would ask to make sure
    He did. The price included all. Given that the first place quoted a minimum of $2460 for just the front cats, he seems like he's giving a reasonable price.

I was more concerned about the several weeks time frame.

Re: This estimate sounded way high--any ideas here? 2009 Honda Odyssey Van

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    He did. The price included all. Given that the first place quoted a minimum of $2460 for just the front cats, he seems like he's giving a reasonable price.

I was more concerned about the several weeks time frame.
    That's pretty high for replacement of the front converters. Converters run from well under $200 to just over $300 each, depending on source. That is $2000 in labor, which is pretty high.

Pardon my ignorance - but does a replacement motor include replacing the catalytic converter, too?
    Only if it is in the estimate. Replacing the converters is a cake job with the motor out.

I don't think this guy is anywhere near the type to overcharge, guys. Dave Rainoldi is the salt of the earth kinda guy, charges a fair price for the work he does. So I'm not disturbed by his quote--which includes fixing everything, not just the motor replacement.

What disturbs me is the "several weeks" wait. That's the part I wonder if it is reasonable or not. It's a small shop; I get having to wait, and willing to do that--it's not a bad time to do it, during the summer, and actually, it may hasten my search for my daughter's car, so we can have her old Jeep as a spare vehicle before my son begins driving it. And if he had said, "it'll be a few days," or "it'll be a week to 10 days," or something like that, I would have been disappointed, but understood.

But several weeks? Is this just the price I pay when I go to a small independent shop that is constantly busy?

I don't think this guy is anywhere near the type to overcharge, guys. Dave Rainoldi is the salt of the earth kinda guy, charges a fair price for the work he does. So I'm not disturbed by his quote--which includes fixing everything, not just the motor replacement.

What disturbs me is the "several weeks" wait. That's the part I wonder if it is reasonable or not. It's a small shop; I get having to wait, and willing to do that--it's not a bad time to do it, during the summer, and actually, it may hasten my search for my daughter's car, so we can have her old Jeep as a spare vehicle before my son begins driving it. And if he had said, "it'll be a few days," or "it'll be a week to 10 days," or something like that, I would have been disappointed, but understood.

But several weeks? Is this just the price I pay when I go to a small independent shop that is constantly busy?
    Typically a small shop will work on pulling and replacing an engine a little at a time between other jobs or after hours. At least that is the way a friend of mine does it at his shop. It allows the shop to charge less than devoting a big chunk of time all at once does.

I liked the old vehicles when an engine swap was a few hours of work.

That makes sense. I think I need to buy my daughter's new (to her) car, and let my wife drive my car and me drive the old Jeep for awhile. That beats renting a car for a month.

That makes sense. I think I need to buy my daughter's new (to her) car, and let my wife drive my car and me drive the old Jeep for awhile. That beats renting a car for a month.
    That sounds like a good plan.

Surprised me, but my mechanic called today and the Odyssey was ready. He called last Friday and wanted get approval to get a used engine that was $500 more than the one he quoted because it had substantially fewer miles on it. I told him to go ahead.

Bill was $5200, including brand new catalytic converter, replacement engine, all fluids, labor, and taxes. Hard for me to say it, but that seemed reasonable.